So my Playbook will not show up as either a Network drive, or in Desktop manager. I have 6.0.2.42 of Desktop manager and have reinstalled many times...if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.....tried multiple USB cables......it makes the USB noise when plugged in, but doesn't seem to show up.....

So here is the fix.....................apparantly some computers have issues with network adapters.....

If you are receiving the Unknown Device in Blackberry Desktop Software, and are unable to get your Blackberry Playbook to show up, here are some troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.
    Step 1 � Ensure that your system is running the most current Blackberry Desktop Software. To ensure that you have the most current version, download and install it from this address.
    BlackBerry - Desktop Software - Canada
    By downloading and installing the most current Desktop Software you are ensuring that the correct drivers are actually already installed on your system.
    Step 2 � Reboot your computer. (This step may not be required, but just to be safe)
    Step 3 � Launch the Blackberry Desktop Software. Plug the USB cable that came with your Playbook into a USB port on your PC. Ensure that the volume is turned on. Ensure that your Blackberry Playbook is charged and powered on. Connect your Playbook to the computer using the micro USB end of the cable you connected to your computer earlier. Listen to hear the USB connected sound on your computer, and ensure that your playbook shows �Connected to Computer� on its display.
    Step 4 � Right-click on My Computer, and click on Properties. Click on the Hardware tab. Then click on Device Manager. Expand the Network Adapters list by clicking on the +. Ensure that you have a Network adapter called Research In Motion Network Device in the list. You can now close Device Manager.
    Step 5 � Click on the Start menu and open the Control Panel. Double Click on Network Connections. Under the LAN or High-Speed Internet section, you should see a Local Area Connection beside the Research In Motion Network Device, right-click on this Local Area Connection and click on Properties. Click on the General Tab and put check marks beside Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on OK and close Network Connections. Blackberry Desktop Software should now recognize the Blackberry Playbook and you should receive a pop up showing that Blackberry Device Manager is initializing storage volume access. You can now use Desktop Software to synchronize your Playbook and media, and open the Playbook as a Mass Storage device under a Mapped Network Drive.
    Last edited by zebek; 04-21-11 at 09:55 AM. Reason: SOLVED
    04-20-11 08:47 AM
    Make sure the drivers installed correctly when you first plug in the playbook. I would wait to start DM after they playbook drivers have been installed
    04-20-11 08:52 AM
    Thats my issue, the drivers don't install.....
    Any ideas of where I can get the SETUP.exe that is supposed to run after plugging it in?
    Diana Graham likes this.
    04-20-11 09:06 AM
    i have tried several things so far and no luck getting the usb driver to install. The wifi connection/file sharing worked instantly, but desktop manager doesnt sync media over wifi. i know i can just drag and drop to the playbook as a network drive but its so SLOW to do it that way.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled dm several times, and everytime i do that it reinstalls the playbook drivers on first connection. Everytime i have done this it says the driver failed to install and to reconnect the device even though it is connected.

only problem that I've had so far, so I wanna get it sorted out so i can have a the perfect playbook experience
    04-20-11 09:11 AM
    Yep, same here ....
    This is the issue I am having
    04-20-11 09:17 AM
    In Windows, you should be able to just Map a Network Drive and browse your Network and the Playbook should appear. You can then map it as a network drive without any drivers needing to be installed.
    ripley2010 likes this.
    04-20-11 09:19 AM
    This is fine through WiFi, but doesn't solve the Desktop Manager issue?
    04-20-11 09:31 AM
    so mapping a network drive is the same as usb connectivity? im sorry for the stupid question. i already have it working over wifi but i want to be able to sync through desktop manager.

will mapping a network drive allow me to sync through desktop manager?
    04-20-11 09:34 AM
    I can find the pb on wifi but its a slow transfer due to crappy wifi at work. I tried to connect with the usb cable and the drivers install but nothing more happens. Where do I find the pb when connected via usb? I have nothing in my computer and nothing shows up under networking. I open Dm and it says unknown device then asks me to retry, update or close. I hit retry and it says the battery is dead or the device is rebooting. What am I missing here?
    Anyone know where the drivers are so i can uninstall them and reinstall?
    has anyone got usb to work?

If no what are people getting for wifi speeds when transferring files from pc to pb?
    04-20-11 10:27 AM
    So my Playbook will not show up as either a Network drive, or in Desktop manager. I have 6.0.2.42 of Desktop manager and have reinstalled many times...if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.....tried multiple USB cables......it makes the USB noise when plugged in, but doesn't seem to show up.....
    I can connect, Desktop manager will recognize my playbook, and I completed a backup. However, when I click on media, it will not recognize the playbook. I have file sharing turned on. The PC can see my playbook file system.
    04-20-11 12:16 PM
    In Windows, you should be able to just Map a Network Drive and browse your Network and the Playbook should appear. You can then map it as a network drive without any drivers needing to be installed.
    great. tell consumers who may get this thing from costco or wallmart to "map a network drive". Jobs must be ROTFLHAO.
    watermon12 likes this.
    04-20-11 12:19 PM
    mine just sits there and says unknown device....this is really frustrating.....
    04-20-11 02:19 PM
    seems to work ok with a basic windows xp setup but my corporate laptop with windows 7 doesnt want to play nice.
    My windows XP sytem that has never had destop manager on it was VERY USER FRIENDLY. I connected my playbook and it noticed the new device, installed the drivers, installed desktop manager and then mapped a drive to the playbook. I had to do nothing on the XP system to make it work. everything was very easy to use and copied over files fast.
    My windows 7 pro system is another story, I cant get that to work at all fails to load the drivers
    Last edited by teamfoster03; 04-20-11 at 05:59 PM. Reason: added notes
    04-20-11 03:15 PM
    great. tell consumers who may get this thing from costco or wallmart to "map a network drive". Jobs must be ROTFLHAO.
    I'm not trying to sell a device, I'm trying to provide feedback and help to forum users who may be experiencing issues. Not sure why you're even here if you're not here to help anyone.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    04-20-11 03:18 PM
    This is fine through WiFi, but doesn't solve the Desktop Manager issue?
    Did you check to make sure you have the latest desktop manager installed? I the newest one was only released a couple days ago to add support for the Playbook.
    04-20-11 03:28 PM
    Seems like there are so many randomass problems with the PB as of yet. I was having issues getting Desktop Manager to even open on my home PC after a new install, nor could I get the drive to even open after USB pludin. Then I tried connecting to my laptop which has an older version of DM already installed. It works just fine on my laptop. Also, Desktop Software WiFi media sync and everything else woks just fine on the laptop.

You could uninstall DM, download DM or DS from the BB website, and then plus the PlayBook in. It's the only difference between all of my computers. Probably a long shot, but worth a try.
    04-20-11 03:36 PM
    I have a fix guys, I will be posting shortly.....
    04-20-11 08:08 PM
    i hope so!

im going crazy here. it connects to my girlfriends computer no problem. she doesnt have, and has never had any blackberry software ever installed on it. I plugged it in and within less than a minute all the drivers installed and it accessible to drag and drop music.

what gives?

ive even gona as far as doing a system restore on my computer to a few days ago thinking it would give me a fresh start but no luck....
    04-20-11 08:38 PM
    I gave up and called Rim support. According to the tech guy "windows 7 isnt supported by the playbook, you need to downgrade to a supported os"

WHAT?!?!? how can this be? I questioned him and told him to check, I waited on hold for 7 min and was then told its true windows 7 isnt a supported operating system.
    I dont know how this is possible its 2011 people. windows 7 has been out for a while now. Im calling back to confirm but im on hold again.
    Anyone have a playbook connected with USB to a windows 7 computer?
    watermon12 likes this.
    04-20-11 08:44 PM
    im on windows 7 and no luck for me.....

good thing i got the 32 gb... now i have LOTS of extra space...
    04-20-11 09:18 PM
    hopefully zebek knows something tech support doesnt...
    04-20-11 09:20 PM
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I can connect with USB through the Blackberry Device Manager for drag and drop.

But Blackberry Desktop Manager v6.0.2 B43 is a different story....it does not recognize the PB and says unknown device and it cannot connect. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled but no luck. When I check the properties and the compatibility, there is no option for Windows 7.

Just go with the device manager and hope that they come out with an update for desktop manager???

....and did this post make any sense because I am confusing myself!
    watermon12 likes this.
    04-20-11 09:22 PM
    I am having an issue with music transfer via USB. Yesterday i was able to transfer music via DM with USB, but now i cant. It goes through the process of sending the files, but i have noting in my library. I checked and it says they are supported. I dragged songs to files and they are there, but again when i disconnect none of the songs i moved are on my playbook. No problems yesterday! I also checked the list that couldn't be moved because of DRM status and they aren't in that list. So where are they?
    I would appreciate help and this is my first post so if i am in the wrong sorry!
    04-20-11 09:31 PM
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I can connect with USB through the Blackberry Device Manager for drag and drop.

But Blackberry Desktop Manager v6.0.2 B43 is a different story....it does not recognize the PB and says unknown device and it cannot connect. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled but no luck. When I check the properties and the compatibility, there is no option for Windows 7.

Just go with the device manager and hope that they come out with an update for desktop manager???

....and did this post make any sense because I am confusing myself!
    thats funny, im in the completely opposite situation. windows 7 pro 64 bit. desktop manager 6.0.2 b43 recognizes my pb, but i cant do anything with it.

when i open device manager and expand the volume section it says volume not mounted. if i right click on it i have an option to mount volume but when i click on it nothing happens.

i used to get an error message saying the device got unplugged (same as when installing drivers) but even that stopped now.
    04-20-11 09:40 PM
    thats funny, im in the completely opposite situation. windows 7 pro 64 bit. desktop manager 6.0.2 b43 recognizes my pb, but i cant do anything with it.

when i open device manager and expand the volume section it says volume not mounted. if i right click on it i have an option to mount volume but when i click on it nothing happens.

i used to get an error message saying the device got unplugged (same as when installing drivers) but even that stopped now.
    I've got the same issue exactly except I'm running Windows 7 Home 64bit. DM recognizes it but won't let me sync media.
    04-20-11 09:48 PM
116 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD