I sure hope that we are able to use a PHONE app to dial out from the PB as that would be way cool to use the SIM telephone number as a shared minutes with your mobile plan.
    01-26-13 09:51 AM
    I think it's true, purely because I've had a miserable week and want it to be true :-P
    Hope your week improves... Looking on the bright side, this weekend it is getting a lot warmer in the SW.....

From a fellow (now-ex) Bristolian
    01-26-13 01:01 PM
    Will they not need more time to port the BB10 apps to the Tablet? They have been written for a phone!
    The whole purpose of QNX on the table and phone plus the BB10 phone's display specifications being identical to the PlayBook's was so that apps written for one would run on the other as-is. I don't believe any porting will be necessary for BB10 apps to run on either device. Obviously some may look better on one or the other, since they are most likely designed targeting one platform over the other.
    01-26-13 01:22 PM
    The update will not be for BB10. It's a minor update to allow video chat between PB and Z10. That's all.
    Yes, I heard that as well, but I also heard that will be the last OS update until BB10...
    01-26-13 01:42 PM
    [QUOTE=RubberChicken76;7886949

Finally, as others have pointed out, the PlayBook only has 1 GB of RAM. In theory, the OS is written with this as a minumum,

[COLOR="#8B4513"]I bought the PB several months ago, the one with 64 GB. Can someone explain to this newbie the difference between the above 1 GB RAM and the 64 GB. Is the 64 GB like a regular computer's HDD storage capacity? If so, that should give me lots of room for updates, especially for the new BB10 update.[/COLOR]
    01-26-13 01:50 PM
    [QUOTE=312Lorden;7887638]
    I bought the PB several months ago, the one with 64 GB. Can someone explain to this newbie the difference between the above 1 GB RAM and the 64 GB. Is the 64 GB like a regular computer's HDD storage capacity? If so, that should give me lots of room for updates, especially for the new BB10 update.[/COLOR]
    the 1 GB of ram is what the playbook uses to run apps, etc.,,, the 64 GB is the amount of storage the playbook has to store the apps,,, so far i've been able to run 4 games & a light web page @ the same time w/ about 75-85 MB of ram left,,, if i run a labor intensive, (high ram consumption), webpage the browser closes (crashes may be too harsh a word)...
    01-26-13 02:04 PM
    I sure hope you're right. I'm dying to get my hands on the new OS. Since the Z10 or X10 won't be available for US until March [probably] I hope the BB10 update for PlayBook will hold me over while I wait.

This is too exciting!
    01-26-13 02:07 PM
    Hope your week improves... Looking on the bright side, this weekend it is getting a lot warmer in the SW.....

From a fellow (now-ex) Bristolian
    It certainly is, but with it is coming the rain... Still, had a sunny day today. Are you no longer in the SW?

Well, wife child and I all have a horrible flu type bug. Week started ok when I was offered a new job with a pay rise. After I accepted and told my employer I was leaving, they sent me a furious email complaining I'd mentioned the offer on Facebook a day before my decision, promising to raise it with HR. Silly mistake on my part, but I didn't say anything nasty and just wanted to share my excitement with friends. I didn't break any rules either. So in addition to being ill, and looking after an ill child, I feel overwhelmed with guilt. Oh well.

So yes, that's why BB10 on PlayBook needs to come soon!
    01-26-13 02:13 PM
    I also think it will come sooner than people expect and here is why.

RIM: "Hey Mr/Ms developer, develop some apps for the BB10. It will sell like hotcakes"
    Developer: "You have no customer base for BB10. How long will it take to get a profitable customer base"

Or
    RIM "Hey MR/Ms Developer, develop some apps for BB10. We have a customer base of 2 million+ (playbook) of which 90% will upgrade their playbook within 1 month of release (as stated on RIM developer web site)."
    Developer: "Wow 2 million app hungry customers $$$$$$$$"
    01-26-13 03:43 PM
    wouldn't it be cool if RIM actually updated the Playbook to bb10 as part of the official release on Jan 30 and promoted the new phones with embedded info? They would have a captive audience of almost 2 million people.
    HectorBusyBee and Sansu94 like this.
    01-26-13 06:51 PM
    wouldn't it be cool if RIM actually updated the Playbook to bb10 as part of the official release on Jan 30 and promoted the new phones with embedded info? They would have a captive audience of almost 2 million people.
    That would be THE most amazing thing they can do! Aside from pushing the avail dates up a bit.
    01-26-13 07:21 PM
    It would be cool get BB10 on the PlayBook in the first week of February... Lets see...
    01-26-13 07:23 PM
    Whats this????

Buy the 64GB PLAYBOOK ENTERPRISE at TigerDirect.ca

I searched Playbook at TigerDirect and a new product now appears with no picture calling itself an "Enterprise Version" of the Playbook tablet. I haven't heard the LTE one called that, is this something new? I have heard BB might be gearing the Playbook toward enterprises in the future....
    01-26-13 07:35 PM
    Whats this????

Buy the 64GB PLAYBOOK ENTERPRISE at TigerDirect.ca

I searched Playbook at TigerDirect and a new product now appears with no picture calling itself an "Enterprise Version" of the Playbook tablet. I haven't heard the LTE one called that, is this something new? I have heard BB might be gearing the Playbook toward enterprises in the future....
    For 279$? No chance at being a new PlayBook model.
    01-26-13 07:38 PM
    Playbook update much sooner than expected?-bb10pb2-300x168.jpeg

Here's another image of BB10 on Playbook.

"We have already seen an image of what we were told was BlackBerry 10 running on a PlayBook. At the time we were told that it was beta software, and now @BlackBerryScoop has posted an image that was sent to them showing off the same thing. We reached out to our previous source and they believe it is a newer build than the one they currently have.

Now of course this is all rumor at this point, and we have not confirmed whether or not the pic is a fake yet. We wanted to share it with you, and see what you all thought. So drop us your thoughts on whether or not this is a real pic in the comments."

Full Article:Another Image Reportedly Showing BlackBerry 10 Running On The PlayBook | NerdBerry.net
    Sansu94 likes this.
    01-26-13 08:45 PM
    For 279$? No chance at being a new PlayBook model.
    What else could it be? It's an open box return item, and they're selling new wifi models for $220 .Buy the BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB Tablet at TigerDirect.ca
    01-26-13 08:56 PM
    might be the cellular playbook. its open box so its not a "new" playbook model
    QERNB likes this.
    01-26-13 09:02 PM
    I think you people who are questioning the need for more RAM to run the new BB10 OS have to remember that RIM is changing the way the OS boots.It no longer will load every "driver" on the system. This will reduce boot up time but will also reduce RAM used. (I suppose it might eventually have all of the drivers loaded after time but it might also unload others that haven't been used recently. We don't know what they are doing.)
    More RAM would be necessary for multiprocessing of applications without slowing things down too much.
    01-26-13 09:11 PM
    I reckon bb10 will be like Windows 7 and just be utterly amazing upon release.
    01-26-13 09:13 PM
    I've been saying for a while that since BB10 and OS 2.1 both sit on the same micro-kernel, it might not take that long to port it over. If it is done correctly, there may be some drivers that need to be written and some functionality added or subtracted from an actual phone. There may be some parameters that have to change, but that could even be read off of a config file.
    And whose to say they didn't start porting to the PlayBook a while ago. Maybe they are to the point with the phone version that all hands are not needed for that and they are just putting the finishing touches on it.
    01-26-13 09:16 PM
    As an example of different functionality, the Bridge would work differently for a phone and a PlayBook.
    01-26-13 09:21 PM
    I think you people who are questioning the need for more RAM to run the new BB10 OS have to remember that RIM is changing the way the OS boots.It no longer will load every "driver" on the system. This will reduce boot up time but will also reduce RAM used. (I suppose it might eventually have all of the drivers loaded after time but it might also unload others that haven't been used recently. We don't know what they are doing.)
    More RAM would be necessary for multiprocessing of applications without slowing things down too much.
    You also have to remember that the Dev Alpha has just 1GB of RAM as well, and by all accounts it runs BB10 quite smoothly, despite running debugging processes in the background.
    01-26-13 09:27 PM
    I don't think that's true unless it's an early internal build. All hands on deck for the phone ...
    It is true. Devs and others have had BB10 on PBs for a while now. I forget what thread it was in but a month or so ago I posted a site that was on BB10 running on the PB and how you could load it. Some functions weren't enabled but the majority of the system and features are operational. They were impressed with it.
    goodbery likes this.
    01-27-13 02:50 AM
    I bought the PB several months ago, the one with 64 GB. Can someone explain to this newbie the difference between the above 1 GB RAM and the 64 GB. Is the 64 GB like a regular computer's HDD storage capacity? If so, that should give me lots of room for updates, especially for the new BB10 update.
    The 64GB is, as you said, the equivalent to the hard drive in your computer.
    This is how I always explain it;
    Think of your hard drive, or in this case, your 64GB of storage memory as a filing cabinet.
    Think of RAM as your desk.
    You take a file out of the cabinet and put it on your desk. Open it up and start reading.
    You continue to do that, trying to keep all files visible, but eventually you will run out of space on your desk (RAM).
    To continue you will have to put a file back in the cabinet (HDD) every time you want to open a new file.

Every computer uses a portion of the available RAM just to run. The operating system (OS) needs some and each hardware drive needs some to tell the OS how to interact with the hardware.
    People are saying that BB10 is going to use more RAM than the current OS which would less room to open apps and files.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-27-13 07:35 AM
    Even though I hope this is true, I think it's not. If it were, developers would need at least a little bit of time to make sure their BB10 apps look good on the PlayBook. After all it's not the same screen resolution. Since they haven't informed developers of anything I'm guessing it will be at least a few weeks after launch at minimum before we see this. Maybe, MAYBE A developer beta release at best but a full release would lead to way too much stuff breaking. Right now the infrastructure simply isn't there. When submitting a BB10 app you can only pick dev alpha and release device as target hardware. No PlayBook. It's still a separate thing.
    01-27-13 11:51 AM
94 1234