08-05-12 12:30 PM
39 12
tools
    just finished my OTA update..., from 19.9GB free drops to 19.5GB.
    so every update is completely additional new files pushed into a device..?

some drivers/programs should be "replaced" with newer versions during update right?
    there's no point in keeping history of older file versions in such device.

08-02-12 10:38 PM
    313MB on my 64gb..see how it works..
    08-02-12 11:34 PM
    All these questions about the update eating up more storage on the PB particularly for the 16GB people made me wonder how the PB memory is organized and whether there is any way to perform a ChkDsk operation other than a complete wipe and reload. This discussion involves this big update but how about frequent downloading and later removal of other files. Does this leave memory gaps which are hard to eliminate. This latest update certainly included the changes in Android operation and presumably a bunch of other stuff from 2.1 which is still considered beta I believe. The fact that an earlier poster who was running 2.1 reported only a 3 GB update would tend to support this.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 08-03-12 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Revision
    08-03-12 12:03 AM
    Well last time, the extra 500mb ended up disappearing somehow. This time I'm still waiting. I'm not sure what triggers it, but plugging it into DM worked last time, this time nothing changed. It really bugs me though, especially on a 16gb device.
    08-03-12 12:04 AM
    Just finished upgrading, here in toronto it was 319mb
    08-03-12 08:38 AM
    OS updates are compressed, like downloaded apps. So the 319 MB update could be as large as 600 MB. While most of the files in the update will be replacing existing ones, some will also be new files.

The amount of storage consumed would be the sum of the differences for the replaced files + sum of the new files + sum of bytes for update logs.
    08-03-12 09:34 AM
    Yeah but that difference isn't 500mb, and like I said from the update before this one, that 500mb ended up disappearing after a couple days. I hope the same thing happens this time, but its clear it didn't "replace" anything thus far. It's cached somewhere and I hope it uncaches itself like last time, but i don't like when things don't make sense. This stuff should be like math.. Methodological and predictable. Code is like math afterall..
    08-03-12 10:27 AM
    Backup and debrick you PB should recover the lost memory.
    08-03-12 05:18 PM
    Thanks but I know that, and it's not a solution for me. First of all because I would get back all the wallpapers and the HD video which alone is like 500mb, and I've had nightmares security wiping in the past since DM would see my PB as 1.0 after a wipe so it wouldn't let me restore from a 2.0 backup. Its just not worth the risk to me. Besides, it went away last time. The key is for someone to somehow come across what exactly makes the memory come back.
    08-03-12 09:24 PM
    The key is that it came back...
    08-03-12 09:27 PM
    Not this time..... Last time! This time I'm still waiting, and I have no idea what makes it come back. I'm not even sure it will ever come back this time.
    08-03-12 09:52 PM
    Well it just came back... overnight..

I woke up in the morning and had an extra 500mb surprise waiting there. This is so weird lol. I can't even tie it to anything.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    08-05-12 10:59 AM
    The update image likely contains compressed files which may expand to make the updated OS a bit larger. The varying size of the update image probably reflects what modules are needed by each individual user's particular app inventory.
    08-05-12 12:09 PM
    The update image likely contains compressed files which may expand to make the updated OS a bit larger. The varying size of the update image probably reflects what modules are needed by each individual user's particular app inventory.
    So what are you saying happened when I got back my 500mb today?
    08-05-12 12:30 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD