I was excited about the update today like many people probably were. Here in Canada, the update was 499mb, so lets say 500mb.

I had 5.6gb left on my 16gb playbook before the update, and I had 5.1gb free after it finished downloading the update (makes sense). The playbook installed the update, i restarted it, and it still has 5.1gb left. It should have more? I restarted several times and it doesn't budge. It didnt install any extra videos or wallpapers or anything...

My belief is that it should replace the files from the last OS, not add it on so what am I missing here? Anyone else have 500mb less?
    04-17-12 11:07 AM
    I don't know about the playbook specifically, but updates for applications (computer or otherwise) as well as OS updates don't replace previous files, what you downloaded is additional data.
    04-17-12 11:12 AM
    .5GB is a lot of space to have in temp files after every upgrade, especially on a 16gb PB. If I did 4 upgrades over a year that could grow to 2GB. To me, on a mobile device, that is unacceptable, the upgrade process should be removing these files or at least give you an option to do it manually once you are happy with the upgrade. I don't want to be doing a wipe after every upgrade to force these file to be deleted and then doing a restore of all my data and settings. It takes forever to re-install all my apps... painful
    04-17-12 11:33 AM
    I think you're looking at the wrong memory. When you upgrade the OS shouldn't it be using the TOTAL memory of 1gb and just overwrite the existing files?
    04-17-12 11:39 AM
    I think you're looking at the wrong memory. When you upgrade the OS shouldn't it be using the TOTAL memory of 1gb and just overwrite the existing files?
    The 1GB of memory is just working space. All files are stored in the storage (16,32,64GB)
    04-17-12 11:49 AM
    I was excited about the update today like many people probably were. Here in Canada, the update was 499mb, so lets say 500mb.

I had 5.6gb left on my 16gb playbook before the update, and I had 5.1gb free after it finished downloading the update (makes sense). The playbook installed the update, i restarted it, and it still has 5.1gb left. It should have more? I restarted several times and it doesn't budge. It didnt install any extra videos or wallpapers or anything...

My belief is that it should replace the files from the last OS, not add it on so what am I missing here? Anyone else have 500mb less?
    Yup. I see the same thing. Was just going to post about this when I saw your post. I don't ever recall the PlayBook storing the updates (temp files). Maybe they are needed for the big 2.1.x update that's being talked about?
    04-17-12 11:51 AM
    For what it's worth, mine has slightly more free space after the update than it had before. I was at 9.1GB free (on a 32GB unit) and now have 9.2GB free. Whatever it is, it's not universal. My update was about 358MB, by the way.
    04-17-12 12:05 PM
    It might be better to update using Blackberry Desktop rather than wifi. That way the update is downloaded to your PC rather than to your PB, and installed from your PC using the installation files that remain on your PC.
    04-17-12 01:27 PM
    It might be better to update using Blackberry Desktop rather than wifi. That way the update is downloaded to your PC rather than to your PB, and installed from your PC using the installation files that remain on your PC.
    I've always done that previous to 2.0, but tried OTA with it. I trust using DM more, as you said the OS is then on the PC and I have more options later, but the OTA with 2.0 went well and it was a big update. Now I'm vacilating on which to use
    04-17-12 02:00 PM
    I see to have around 400MB less space after the update (restarted twice already). While it isn't too bad for me as I still have 6.9GB left (16GB model) it is sort of disappointing to lose that space.
    04-17-12 03:44 PM
    Lost 400-500 Mb here, it's very annoying on a 16 Gb PB.
    04-17-12 06:12 PM
    Thanks for the responses guys. Well I guess there's nothing we can do then, which wouldn't be so bad if wiping/reloading wouldn't be such a hassle. Last time I checked DM sees my playbook on os 1.0.0 after the last wipe, and won't allow me to restore any backups. Wonder if that's changed with this update but what's the guarantee another wipe won't produce the same results? I promised myself last time i would never do that again unless i really have to because it just doesn't work sometimes and otthers it does. The first time i wiped and reloaded PB it went fine, second time, not so much. Lol.
    04-17-12 06:49 PM
    Since we are somewhat on the topic of OS file size, can anyone chime in on why some updates are larger than others?
    More specifically, for those in the same region (Canada).
    Mine shows at 357MB.
    04-17-12 07:44 PM
    Before the update i had 4.++gb free space, now I've got 3.6gb from the about page. But after checking on 3 different file manager i've got 3.8gb. I had 347mb update. Yeah it really does sucks on a 16gb. Need to clear some useless apps now.
    04-17-12 07:47 PM
    Yeah everyone seems to be getting different update sizes, perhaps it has something to do with which apps we previously installed? Mine was 351 MB
    jpash549 likes this.
    04-17-12 07:50 PM

Upgrade of 359 on my PB and 361 on my second PB both 64gb
    04-17-12 07:52 PM
    I'm in the process of downloading the update right now and it says 359mb for the size.
    04-17-12 07:54 PM
    Thanks for chiming in!
    04-17-12 11:07 PM
    Problem solved.

What I basically did was use BlackBerry Desktop Software to "reload" the OS, apparently it thought that I needed an "update" even though it showed 2.0.1.358 as my device version, dialog box said that 2.0.1.358 needs to be updated to 2.0.1.358 (strange I know) so I went ahead with it, restored all my data and now my free disk usage was back to around what it was previously.
    04-18-12 02:58 PM
    Problem solved.

What I basically did was use BlackBerry Desktop Software to "reload" the OS, apparently it thought that I needed an "update" even though it showed 2.0.1.358 as my device version, dialog box said that 2.0.1.358 needs to be updated to 2.0.1.358 (strange I know) so I went ahead with it, restored all my data and now my free disk usage was back to around what it was previously.
    Very interesting. Thanks for the reply, I'll check that out
    04-18-12 05:52 PM
    Very interesting. Thanks for the reply, I'll check that out
    Let me know how it goes
    04-18-12 06:20 PM
    It's funny.. I plugged it in to DM today and no update appeared so I clicked on device>update.. Said no updates are available, you're on the latest tablet os wtv.. I unplug it and that ends there. Just now, I looked at my storage and I'm 500mb up. Maybe it's not even the update process? Just plugging it in to dm did the trick for me! You led me to do it though.
    04-19-12 03:10 PM
    It's funny.. I plugged it in to DM today and no update appeared so I clicked on device>update.. Said no updates are available, you're on the latest tablet os wtv.. I unplug it and that ends there. Just now, I looked at my storage and I'm 500mb up. Maybe it's not even the update process? Just plugging it in to dm did the trick for me! You led me to do it though.
    Oh and be careful with Zinio

Magazines are pretty hefty in size when you start getting multiple issues.

Glad it worked out
    04-19-12 05:07 PM
    Sigh... this is about the most immediate thread I could get into with a sort of urgent question...

In short, my Playbook data seems to have been wiped and restored to the default settings.
    The long thing is that I wanted to transfer a few videos via the usb cable, would be faster than wifi, and then the desktop manager informed me I needed to update and meh I did, although I had been okay to type the usb ip address before I figured to try the desktop software way... realizing later that it was updating my tablet... but I took it truthfully that stopping the process would make my tablet unusable so went on through with it. Something definitely started looking wrong when I had to go through the setup process on the playbook, including giving my Blackberry account..
    My videos, pictures, and mp3s and apps all seem to be wiped. App World doesn't have updates for the things I'd downloaded in the last few months.

I'm curious if there's a way to recover this. At least the plus is that .bar files and mp3s are okay enough to transfer again, and there's the uninstalled apps to install again, but some videos are a little irreplaceable. I'd like to almost hope something like Recuva might have a chance.
    Last edited by dania88; 04-22-12 at 11:58 PM.
    04-22-12 11:51 PM
    Well, same problem after today's OS update. I did it through DM this time, hoping it wouldn't store the update on my PB. Connecting back to DM, etc has not recovered the lost 500mb. I had 5.1gb free before update. After update > 4.6gb. Hopefully it miraculously and randomly frees up like the last time.
    08-02-12 11:54 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD