Hi,

I was wondering how the playbook handles PDF and powerpoint files, for viewing university lectures? How good are the features and viewing ability?
    I think the reduced prices may be disappearing soon in the UK - curry's will stop selling the 32gb playbook for 199 tonight and I'm tempted to jump on it; especially with OS 2 looming.

Cheers,

Jonny
    01-10-12 04:40 AM
    i'd say got for it
    01-10-12 04:46 AM
    Hi,

I was wondering how the playbook handles PDF and powerpoint files, for viewing university lectures? How good are the features and viewing ability?
    I think the reduced prices may be disappearing soon in the UK - curry's will stop selling the 32gb playbook for 199 tonight and I'm tempted to jump on it; especially with OS 2 looming.

Cheers,

Jonny
    The acrobat reader does an excellent job when it comes to reading documents. However it does not have any other features. An app called Jotsy has been released in a beta version which covers a few of he readers drawbacks, and we hope to much better things with the upcoming release of OS2.0.

The powerpoint app in Docs2go is used to view powerpoint files which works quite well. However, if your ppt file has a lot of intricate animations and other custom details it will not show up when opened on the PB. The images come out distorted. Again with the release of OS2.0 we hope to see better compatibility and/or programs show up.

Finally, get the PB.... it will be worth it
    01-10-12 05:46 AM
    Well I got one during the weekend from Curry's but had to give it back because it developed a fault. BUT, what I did manage to get out of it before I gave it back is that it has a word, excel, powerpoint and pdf viewers in the software. On top of that its also a comfortable size and can fit in a large coat pocket, making it ideal for travel unlike the larger pads.
    On a side statement, I also was lookign for another 32GB PB, but noticed that Carphone Warehouse dopped the price of the 64GB to 279 on Sunday. FUrthermore, not sure if you know a website called quidco (they do cashback offers if you buy via theire website), but theyre doing an offer of 50 within 3 months if you buy a 16 or 64GB PB from CPW through them...essentially getting you a 64GB PB for 229 which is an absolute steal. I did call them up and they confirmed that the offer is still valid for the next 2 days. Might want to take a look at that...oh and you get free delivery to your local store or to your door, typically next day. I've provided a link below:

Carphone Warehouse Voucher Codes, Cashback & Discount Codes | Quidco

Good luck wth your decision .
    01-10-12 05:48 AM
    I use the pb on a daily basis for this, I record the lectures with the voice recorder, and take notes in word to go, at the same time I also usually have a powerpoint presentation or pdf opened. Its pretty badass.
    01-10-12 07:19 AM
    BB usage as a remote controller (BB Bridge) handles it perfectly. Presentation mode/Swiping/Navigation and many many keys are present in that just small BB bridge feature.
    01-10-12 08:02 AM
    Does anybody know if the BB Bridge controller is as fully functional in OS6 compared to OS7? Since I have a bold 9780.

Thanks
    01-10-12 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD