10-29-13 07:49 PM
83 1234
tools
    Glad to see u got it all working. Now sit back and enjoy.
    I am! Had some audio problems (nothing some audio conversions couldn't solve ) and am enjoying some of my favourite movies, as well as some of my favourite tv shows (Archer & Batman: The Animated Series)

Thanks again everyone, for being awesome and an extremely helpful forum! <3
    jcbrunson likes this.
    12-29-11 10:21 PM
    I just left my nieces house and was having all the same exact issues. I came here knowing my fellow crackberry addicts would find an answer. Im gonna try this out tomorrow.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    01-01-12 08:10 PM
    I have been having the exact same issue since day one...i cant try the suggested solution because nothing ever shows up under network adapters regarding blackberry anything. i get the same device connecting ding, then i get what you see in the attached pic...the runtime error every time...seriously at wits end .....i have version 6.1.0.36 of the desktop software and am running windows 7 prof 64....the runtime error seems to be the major issue i would assume...i have turned of all security etc many times to try to get this to function. The strange part is that i have been able to get the wifi connection to work to transfer files etc....
    01-01-12 11:20 PM
    I have been having the exact same issue since day one...i cant try the suggested solution because nothing ever shows up under network adapters regarding blackberry anything. i get the same device connecting ding, then i get what you see in the attached pic...the runtime error every time...seriously at wits end .....i have version 6.1.0.36 of the desktop software and am running windows 7 prof 64....the runtime error seems to be the major issue i would assume...i have turned of all security etc many times to try to get this to function. The strange part is that i have been able to get the wifi connection to work to transfer files etc....
    Have you rooted your PB? What OS are you running?
    01-01-12 11:45 PM
    have not rooted ...and am using the latest official OS...1.0.8.6067..also strange is that the runtime error is blank ...cant even tell what it is
    Last edited by mincanada; 01-02-12 at 12:08 AM.
    01-01-12 11:51 PM
    have not rooted ...and am using the latest official OS...1.0.8.6067..also strange is that the runtime error is blank ...cant even tell what it is
    Yep thats what I see is strange. I take it you have run Windows update and everything is current. Have you looked for errors in device manager?

Try going thru that Zebek post one more time step by step. And I do suggest you call RIM support to see if they can assist you if you haven't already. Not saying they have the answer but the more people do report such things the more likely they too shall find an answer.

Also a good idea to walk away for a bit and come back with fresh eyes.
    01-02-12 12:21 AM
    thanks for the promt response...have done the walk away about 5 times in the last 2 months lol...have done everything i can think of short of calling rim, might have to give that a shot tomorrow....seems this is a common enough problem from other threads, but enough of us are stranded in this...

- update: after re-reading every note in this thread it seems that i dont have the playbook drivers installed on my pc as nothing shows up in network adapters...that being said, how can i re-initiate that process to load them? thinking back on it i believe i too may have gotten an install error on one step, but cant remember for sure....
    Last edited by mincanada; 01-02-12 at 01:34 AM.
    01-02-12 12:35 AM
    ok..after a late night, and umpteen tries...still no luck...still no network adapter showing...i uninstalled and reinstalled the dm software...i did however find under devicemanager/ports a Rim Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM5) and one with (COM6)...i have no clue as to what these are for , or even if they are related to the issue, but it is the only RIM items i can find.....
    01-02-12 11:40 AM
    I think you have a problem more with your windows than with PB. Have you ever tried plugging it into another computer and see what happens?

What you are seeing in device manager sounds like a good thing. Also, again, see what RIM has to say.
    01-02-12 12:10 PM
    well, as jermand had happen, mine decided to start to function to the point where i was able to follow the Zebek solution and am now completing my first backup in 3 months lol (no sound at at indicating it recognized it as well)...i too have no idea why it decided to work, just glad it has...the only new thing was yet another usb cable( the 3rd), so maybe that waas the kicker, not sure.....thanks for the words of encouragement Sllock
    01-02-12 11:16 PM
    No problem. Welcome to Crackberry. Now you can start enjoying your 'book as was intended. As remarkable as this little guy is it's just going to get better and better and....
    01-03-12 12:54 AM
    loving it for the last couple months...turned into one of the geeks that turns on the demo machines at the store since they tend not to have them on...looking forward to what comes next...
    01-03-12 01:35 AM
    My PB was not showing as a mass storage drive...had scratched my head n a** and what not.

Than magic happened...Voila...enabled TCP/IP net bios helper in services in msconfig.

Thanks a ton to pmcintire....U rock.

01-27-12 06:43 AM
    Just enable TCP/IP net bios helper under services by running msconfig
    01-27-12 07:00 AM
    I feel the pain!!
    Both of my PB 32g had this issue
    I also had issue w/my laptop (XP pro) & Hm desktop (xp) not recognizing PB.
    Both had volume mount error. Although, my wife's vista laptop recognized it...go figure

I spent almost 2weeks w/BB analyst who talked w/developers about my issue. Sent system logs and tried everything on this forum & what analyst fr BB (Shaun...GRT GUY!!)

The only option they gave me was to send PB to them, instead I returned my PB...BECAUSE I'm waiting on 64g PB to arrive!!!

Even w/my laptop not recognizing PB...I absolutely LOVE this tablet!!!

I know it's got to be a setting somewhere on my laptop and I HOPE if I still have the same issue w/new 64g PB...

The folks on this forum will assist me w/skill, determination, & patience as ALL of you have w/Jermand.

GREAT to hear you got to a place w/your PB that I hope one day I will experience as well!
    01-27-12 10:44 AM
    I had the same issues on XP but closing my Firewall down resolved it instantly. Doing that or adding an exclusion for the ipv4 address range shown on the device manager gives me a mounted drive without any problem
    02-02-12 12:33 PM
    I had the same issues on XP but closing my Firewall down resolved it instantly. Doing that or adding an exclusion for the ipv4 address range shown on the device manager gives me a mounted drive without any problem
    Hey Decadomcs,

Still WAITING for my 64g PB to arrive!!
    The Firewall setting didn't work w/previous PB however would like to get your instrucions on how to... " adding an exclusion for the ipv4 address range shown on the device manager gives me a mounted drive without any problem"...

thanks for you input!
    02-02-12 01:47 PM
    Sweeeeeet!. I had the same issue, changed my firewall settings as you said, and BAM! Works great now. Thanks. I have Zone Alarm and did this:

-Right click DM icon on bottom right and click Properties
    -Click + to expand twice till you see IPv4 addresss. Note the IP address.
    -Open ZoneAlarm, click on Firewall, then Zone, then Add.
    -Put in a range that would included the IP address you saw in DM.
    -Click Apply.
    -Mount drive in DM or unplug the PB and plug it back in.
    02-16-12 11:11 AM
    I Have the same problem.

My PC does not see PB :-(
    On network connection i see Blackberry Devise with "enable" status, on Devise Manager i see Playbook and in Network Adapters PB is visible but my PC does not see it.

Please HELP :-(

P.S.
    in "Universal Serial Bus Controler" i do not see "USB Mass Storage Device" :-(
    Have you got any idea why? Sharing opction on PB are ON.
    Last edited by buber; 02-11-13 at 11:27 AM.
    02-10-13 02:30 PM
    Does anyone let help me ??
    02-11-13 12:35 PM
    I don't recall details right now but I recall that sometimes additional Drive Letters may not be available until you tweak your computer. So that it might be limited to say a C: and D: drive but not higher letter assignments.
    02-11-13 05:36 PM
    Hi, my name is Daniel. I just received the 32gb playbook as a gift. I have a Gateway laptop, Windows XP, SP3. I've tried everything previously mentioned on this thread. My issue is the following: when I connect my PB to the laptop, the drivers install, (also I've installed Blackberry Desktop Software, but I think that's irrelevant). The device manager shows this message: "An error occured mounting BlackBerry [Pin: 501BBC14] volumes. Please reconnect your device. [E:0x4CF]". The wifi conncection is crappy, so I don't care about that(though I've tried it as well and it didnt work--transferring files from the pc to the pb, that is, not connecting to wifi--that works fine); I just want to be able to transfer files using the usb cable. That message appears after these two: "BlackBerry [Pin: 501BBC14]. Initializing device access." and "BlackBerry PlayBook [Pin: 501BBC14]. Initializing storage volume access." I've tried uninstalling/installing/rebooting everything many times. In the windows device manager I can see both "Blackberry Device" under "Blackberry" and "Research in Motion Network Device" under "Network Adapters" Any suggestions? Please, someone help; I've been at this forever.
    P.S. This is very frustrating!
    07-10-13 07:57 PM
    biolodiseno:

Could I ask for one clarification - you CAN copy files to the pb using wifi? But not using the usb cable. Frankly, I rarely connect to the more fragile usb port and prefer using wifi even it a bit slower - no wires, and my pb can be downstairs while I'm up and still copy over files.

Are you using the cable that came with the pb? If you look at the cable, the narrower side should be UP.

I'm sure we have a few xp users on the forum.

Have you tried UPDATING the drivers if that is possible.

Also, I don't know if the Rim/bbry newer LINK software will run an XP but you can try it.

BlackBerry Link - BlackBerry 10 Smartphone to Computer Sync - US
    07-10-13 09:04 PM
    Oops; what I meant was that I could connect to wifi in general, but I can't copy files from my pc to the tablet (nor vice-versa).
    I seem to have updated software, as there are no updates available on the tablet in the "Software Updates" section. One of the first things I did with the PB was to update the OS. Should the driver updates be visible in the "Software Updates" on the PB or should I look for those online somewhere?
    In case this information is relevant: the current OS version I have installed is 2.1.0.1526. The "Blackberry Device Propertes" show : Driver Provider: Research In Motion, Driver Date: 12/21/2012, Driver Version: 4.2.0.19. The "Research In Motion Network Device" properties show: Driver Provider: Research In Motion, Driver Date: 5/5/2011, Driver Version: 2.0.0.29.
    More frustration!
    07-14-13 11:11 AM
    Oops; what I meant was that I could connect to wifi in general, but I can't copy files from my pc to the tablet (nor vice-versa).
    I seem to have updated software, as there are no updates available on the tablet in the "Software Updates" section. One of the first things I did with the PB was to update the OS. Should the driver updates be visible in the "Software Updates" on the PB or should I look for those online somewhere?
    In case this information is relevant: the current OS version I have installed is 2.1.0.1526. The "Blackberry Device Propertes" show : Driver Provider: Research In Motion, Driver Date: 12/21/2012, Driver Version: 4.2.0.19. The "Research In Motion Network Device" properties show: Driver Provider: Research In Motion, Driver Date: 5/5/2011, Driver Version: 2.0.0.29.
    More frustration!
    If I recall, either the last update or the one before that seemed to have contained the "drivers" but they were on the pb but not anythng you can access yourself. Part of the update, possibly reboot/restart process installed the drivers on the attached computer.

I think the drivers can be found separately somewhere on the rim/blackberry site to download. You might try looking.

So you have not tried wifi sharing. You need to turn that on, on the pb, and then you can access the pb using something like:

\\192.168.1.164\media

Your numbers would be different. You can either type that into the Run Command or enter it into an Explorer (not IE) window
    07-14-13 12:03 PM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD