One more bump and piece of advice. I bet you the PB drive is showing up in the drive mgmt utility. You can manually assign a drive letter there. I had to do this with a conflicting Magicstick once. We are saving this tabby, dammit!
    12-28-11 06:36 AM
    From another Google search on "drive letter conflict":
    Right click on My Computer>Manage>Disk Management>You should see the USB drive in the list - right click> Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    12-28-11 06:42 AM
    While you are trying to establish a USB connection, turn WiFi off
    Under sharing, change the USB connection from Auto to Windows and be sure file sharing is turned on
    12-28-11 07:26 AM
    Lol I'm sorry OP but being raised on a ranch and around horses all my life, the thread title sounds like a rancher complaining about his studhorse not performing lol. Sorry
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-28-11 07:51 AM
    See KB29216
    Client for Microsoft Networks protocol is missing in the local area connection properties

Open the Windows Control Panel
    Open Network Connections
    right click on RIM Local Area Connection & choose Properties
    Use the General Tab, See if Client for Microsoft Networks is present

If not, choose Install
    Choose Client and then Add
    Choose Client for MicroSoft Networks from the list
    Once install is complete, verify that it is present & checked
    Disconnect & Reconnect the Playbook

ALSO - Services: make sure TCP/IP Net Bios Helper is started...
    Last edited by pmcintire; 12-28-11 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added more info
    hpareek likes this.
    12-28-11 08:09 AM
    I have done all that multiple times; the 3 boxes (Client for MSWindows/File& Printer Sharing and the TCI/IP) are all checked.. the box appears saying "Inirializing storage and volume access" but after about 2 minutes, the error pops up saying "error could not initialize storage/volume access, please reconnect device [E:0x35]. The pbk itself always says its connected to computer though :c No network drive appears in Computer, nothing. Why have you forsaken me, playbook?!

Thanks for your help guys, as promised, instead of a clean pic of my desktop, I've uploaded the Wallpaper itself for your.. enjoyment

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9...642897894r.jpg

EDIT: I've noticed in Device Manager, under the RIM Network adapters Properties, it has no network value. Am I to set this myself, or is this of no concern?

Click to view quoted image
    I could connect to DM via USB without a hitch but not via WiFi. I solved it by going into my PlayBook Options>About>Network and getting my WiFi IPv4 address for my PlayBook. Then I plugged in my USB and on my PC, I opened the Device Manager and found the "Research in Motion Network Device Properties" and like you, saw that the Network Address was set to "Not Present". I selected the radio button next to the "Value" box and entered the WiFi IPv4 address and suddenly it worked just fine. I hope that helps you.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 01:40 PM
    I know you have tried EVERYTHING but have you tried this... After you plug in your PB to the laptop open an explorer window and right click on Network and go to Map Network Drive and assign Z: as your PB drive.

Sometimes it is the simple things
    I've tried, but my laptop just doesn't show my pbk anywhere! I only see NETWORK and I can't do anything with that other than CANCEL; nothing else to assign a drive letter to; thanks though

From another Google search on "drive letter conflict":
    Right click on My Computer>Manage>Disk Management>You should see the USB drive in the list - right click> Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Would it just show as a USB drive, or fall under another category? I don't see any external usb drive showing (except when I plug my ipod in, Apple drive shows). It's like my laptop KNOWS something is plugged in, it just refuses to show it. I can't find any kind of connection showing my pbk is plugged in aside from Blackberry Desktop Manager; even then I can only backup data, any kind of Media option is out of the question.

I can't assign a drive to a drive that doesn't show, here's a screenie of my diskmanagement WITH playbook AND my ipod plugged in (to show it recognizes ipod, not pbk. And no I haven't left my ipod in this whole time, so it is not the problem )

I could connect to DM via USB without a hitch but not via WiFi. I solved it by going into my PlayBook Options>About>Network and getting my WiFi IPv4 address for my PlayBook. Then I plugged in my USB and on my PC, I opened the Device Manager and found the "Research in Motion Network Device Properties" and like you, saw that the Network Address was set to "Not Present". I selected the radio button next to the "Value" box and entered the WiFi IPv4 address and suddenly it worked just fine. I hope that helps you.
    I have tried that as well, but for some reason it doesn't let me type the whole IP; the whole IP doesn't fit by ONE NUMBER. :c
    Last edited by jermand; 12-28-11 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added info
    12-28-11 01:57 PM
    Thanks for the helpful responses guys; I've tried so many things yet nothing seems to work. I've uninstalled/reinstalled certain drivers, tried Restoring my system to yesterday (before connecting pbk for the first time) yet I still get the same error. Desktop Manager can recognize the pbk just fine, however it cannot "Detect Media Storage".

Here are some pics to help show

Try turning off your bluetooth and wifi radio when you connect to desktop manager via USB. I had the same problem but I'm using Vista, and I know Vista sucks!
    12-28-11 02:45 PM
    OK, maybe this will help. Check out the four screen shots under device mgr. I've got my PB32 connected via USB. It will NOT show up as a USB device, but as a NETWORK adapter. My driver version is 2.0.0.28 as you can see in the attachment. I would suggest deleting this device and driver, reboot the computer, then reconnect and see if the driver reloads.

When I hooked up the PB, the driver assigned it drive letter Z, which would have conflicted with a network drive had I been on VPN today. The 3rd screen shot shows the BB Device Mgr properties of my PB.

What are your settings in BB Device MgrBB Device Mgr options? Is the "mount tablet volumes on connect" selected?
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 05:58 PM
    Also, see the attached screenshot. It shows that the PB is an unidentifed network, "local area connection 3". I've got the properties off to the side. Hope this helps.

This is smelling more and more like a network issue on the local PC.

OK, something else has my interest. That's yer DAD'S wallpaper on your DAD's PC? Shouldn't he be setting an example for the rest of us?
    12-28-11 06:17 PM
    Two things helped me: 1) make sure your WiFi is turned OFF. 2) make sure you have pushed the USB cable all the way into the slot on the PlayBook; on new ones, (like mine), I had to push further than I liked to ensure that it was all the way in. 3) Try a hard reboot - that helped as well. Good Luck.

johnreid
    12-28-11 07:10 PM
    Two things helped me: 1) make sure your WiFi is turned OFF. 2) make sure you have pushed the USB cable all the way into the slot on the PlayBook; on new ones, (like mine), I had to push further than I liked to ensure that it was all the way in. 3) Try a hard reboot - that helped as well. Good Luck.

johnreid
    Thanks John; I tried :c my wifi is off, and I pushing my cable in as far as it'd go (without forcing it), and I've rebooted it several times. Hitting RESET counts, right? No luck =[

OK, maybe this will help. Check out the four screen shots under device mgr. I've got my PB32 connected via USB. It will NOT show up as a USB device, but as a NETWORK adapter. My driver version is 2.0.0.28 as you can see in the attachment. I would suggest deleting this device and driver, reboot the computer, then reconnect and see if the driver reloads.

When I hooked up the PB, the driver assigned it drive letter Z, which would have conflicted with a network drive had I been on VPN today. The 3rd screen shot shows the BB Device Mgr properties of my PB.

What are your settings in BB Device MgrBB Device Mgr options? Is the "mount tablet volumes on connect" selected?
    Every picture of yours matches mine perfectly; same driver version, same LAN RIM network adapter, Mount Volume on Plugin or w/e is selected as well. This is definitely my laptops' problem, I'm agreeing with you on the network error. I'm going to delete the driver, reboot and plug in my pbk (hopefully it re-installs the driver(s)!!)

Thanks again for your patience man.

Oh and that's MY laptop background.. my dads' pc background is of himself, lol

EDIT: I delete the RIM driver, rebooted and when I plugged in my pbk, I got the notification it was installing new drivers and they were SUCCESSFUL (as every time before hand was unsuccessful)! I was so happy until I realized that my laptop STILL is NOT recognizing/mounting the drive so I can access it ;_;

I know my laptop is trolling me somehow, IT ACTUALLY SHOWS A CONNECTION but obviously declines it's existance.

Diagnostics show.. that it doesn't exist. Yet you can see it in the background.

Last edited by jermand; 12-28-11 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added info/pic
    12-28-11 07:18 PM
    Every picture of yours matches mine perfectly; same driver version, same LAN RIM network adapter, Mount Volume on Plugin or w/e is selected as well. This is definitely my laptops' problem, I'm agreeing with you on the network error. I'm going to delete the driver, reboot and plug in my pbk (hopefully it re-installs the driver(s)!!)

Thanks again for your patience man.

Oh and that's MY laptop background.. my dads' pc background is of himself, lol

EDIT: I delete the RIM driver, rebooted and when I plugged in my pbk, I got the notification it was installing new drivers and they were SUCCESSFUL (as every time before hand was unsuccessful)! I was so happy until I realized that my laptop STILL is NOT recognizing/mounting the drive so I can access it ;_;

I know my laptop is trolling me somehow, IT ACTUALLY SHOWS A CONNECTION but obviously declines it's existance.

Diagnostics show.. that it doesn't exist. Yet you can see it in the background.

no one has anymore ideas? cause I'm having the exact same problem!! (literally down to the pictures and being able to connect to other computers) the only difference is my "Research In Motion Network Device" driver is version "2.0.0.29" and I'm using windows 7 (and the fact the it wont show up at all besides being able to back up on destop manager)

I did how ever notice in the initial install one thing did not install properly. (The driver Software Installer showed 1 X and 2 check marks) how do i completely uninstall all the playbook drivers? because the only one I've been able to find was the "Research In Motion Network Device"
    Last edited by l3lueberry; 12-28-11 at 07:49 PM.
    jermand likes this.
    12-28-11 07:47 PM
    no one has anymore ideas? cause I'm having the exact same problem!! (literally down to the pictures and being able to connect to other computers) the only difference is my "Research In Motion Network Device" driver is version "2.0.0.29" and I'm using windows 7

I did how ever notice in the initial install one thing did not install properly. (The driver Software Installer showed 1 X and 2 check marks) how do i completely uninstall all the playbook drivers? because the only one I've been able to find was the "Research In Motion Network Device"
    YES that's exactly what I'm going through!! 2 check marks and one X, albeit idk what else failed to install as I have no means of finding out. When the pbk is installed on a fresh computer, doesn't the pbk screen say "INSTALLING DRIVERS"? We need to figure out how to get that again!
    12-28-11 07:50 PM
    Do you all have netframework not sure what version installed? It would be in optional windows updates.
    12-28-11 07:52 PM
    Do you all have netframework not sure what version installed? It would be in optional windows updates.
    I'm sure I've installed all my optional windows updates but just to make sure I'll install the newest one.

on a unrelated note: why is there a xperia play connected to my computer no one in my household owns this phone
    12-28-11 08:02 PM
    A neighbor? Security enabled wifi?
    12-28-11 08:06 PM
    12-28-11 08:27 PM
    I know there are many here more computer literate than me. Here is a thought. Delete the PB's network drivers. Delete and reinstall latest DM. Open DM than connect your PB.
    12-28-11 09:12 PM
    Now that it look like the PB is recognized, go back to the zebek solution posted earlier:

"Step 5 was what fixed it for me.
    On windows 7 Pro version the steps are a little different so here is what I did.
    -go to control panel>network and sharing center then on the left side you should have an option for "change adapter settings"- click on it
    You should then see your network connections, with any luck one will say "local area connection 2, unidentified network, Research In Motion Network device" right click on it and go to properties.
    then like step 5 above put a check on
    "client for Microsoft networks"
    "File and printer sharing for microsoft networks"
    "internet protocol Version 4 (tcp/ipv4)
    Hit ok, wait 2min and see if anything starts installing if it doesnt disconnect your playbook wait a few and then plug it back in. you should now see that its installing more stuff and adds a Z drive under my computer, network."

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...nt/index4.html

I bet you will be loading files by the end of the night! This tabby shall rise!
    jermand likes this.
    12-28-11 09:47 PM
    Here was the original step 5 from zebek:

You can now close Device Manager.
    Step 5 – Click on the Start menu and open the Control Panel. Double Click on Network Connections. Under the LAN or High-Speed Internet section, you should see a Local Area Connection beside the Research In Motion Network Device, right-click on this Local Area Connection and click on Properties. Click on the General Tab and put check marks beside Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on OK and close Network Connections. Blackberry Desktop Software should now recognize the Blackberry Playbook and you should receive a pop up showing that Blackberry Device Manager is initializing storage volume access. You can now use Desktop Software to synchronize your Playbook and media, and open the Playbook as a Mass Storage device under a Mapped Network Drive.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 09:53 PM
    Guys, first off, THANK YOU for ALL your help! Especially you jcbrunson!!

But you guys won't believe it. I tried everything you just mentioned ^, again to no avail. So I was just browsing properties of everything, and decided to check Computer. And... well, PLAYBOOK IS ACCESSIBLE. My first reaction was "wtf? I didn't do anything yet." And it's true, the only thing I changed was in the RIM LAN connection properties, I clicked Sharing and selected "Allow other Network users to connect through this computers internet connection" and selected the LAN2 network.

No new notifications popped up, no usb sound, nothing. I just happened to check Computer (which I have always been doing, just in case) and playbook just.. appeared. I don't know what to say, other than sorry for wasting all your guys time and THANK YOU!! <3

bambinoitaliano likes this.
    12-29-11 08:48 AM
    Guys, first off, THANK YOU for ALL your help! Especially you jcbrunson!!

But you guys won't believe it. I tried everything you just mentioned ^, again to no avail. So I was just browsing properties of everything, and decided to check Computer. And... well, PLAYBOOK IS ACCESSIBLE. My first reaction was "wtf? I didn't do anything yet." And it's true, the only thing I changed was in the RIM LAN connection properties, I clicked Sharing and selected "Allow other Network users to connect through this computers internet connection" and selected the LAN2 network.

No new notifications popped up, no usb sound, nothing. I just happened to check Computer (which I have always been doing, just in case) and playbook just.. appeared. I don't know what to say, other than sorry for wasting all your guys time and THANK YOU!! <3

YESSSSS! Your tabby LIVES! Props to sllock for searching the zebek solution, and props to zebek for detailing it in the first place. The reload of the driver probably did the trick. Crackberry rocks, the whole reason we hang out here. The thread of the week, 5 stars!

Mount up, people - we have to help hipdannyglover find his missing PB!

Now, back to the 2nd part of the thread - the wallpaper...

Edit: original zebek posting here, if you want to thank him:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...issues-606705/
    Last edited by jcbrunson; 12-29-11 at 12:14 PM.
    12-29-11 09:08 AM
    YESSSSS! Your tabby LIVES! Props to sllock for searching the zebek solution, and props to zebek for detailing it in the first place. The reload of the driver probably did the trick. Crackberry rocks, the whole reason we hang out here. The thread of the week, 5 stars!

Mount up, people - we have to help hipdannyglover find his missing PB!

Now, back to the 2nd part of the thread - the wallpaper...

Edit: original zebek posting here, if you want to thank him:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...issues-606705/
    Thanked! And thank YOU jcbrunson what'd ya wanna know about the wallpaper? I've already given ya the direct pic
    12-29-11 02:37 PM
    Glad to see u got it all working. Now sit back and enjoy.
    jcbrunson and jermand like this.
    12-29-11 03:32 PM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD