Hi Everyone!

My name is Dylan, and I'm new here. I browsed a few pages of this forum, and tried a few searches, but have been unable to find a solution to my problem.

I received a 16gig Blackberry Playbook for Christmas and everything seems to be working fine, except for one key feature. Mass Storage. I plug my bbpbk in, and after a few minutes of "blackberry playbook detected, enabling mass media storage" I get "error [E:0x35] could not mount volume drives. Please reconnect your device".

It works fine on my dads pc (as he has a pbk as well), and we tried plugging his pbk into my laptop, only to be greeted with the same error message, yet his comp still recognizes it and the "Z" drive is accessable (because he already has the driver successfully installed, but it still gives the error message). Desktop manager says it has problems detecting media on my pbk, but can still recognize it. The "Z" drive does not show up in Computer, I've tried so many things from here and Google to no avail.

tl;dr my blackberry playbook can't be mass-storage-media accessed.
    Help, please?
    Last edited by jermand; 12-26-11 at 05:37 PM.
    12-26-11 05:02 PM
    Bump! I really do need help, I've a tablet with no means of putting stuff on :c I even tried accessing it directly by typing in the IP in Windows Explorer; says I need a username and password. Tried my laptop username/pass, then I need a Windows Security password? I'm so lost on this
    12-26-11 06:18 PM
    I am sorry but I use a Mac and wont be of any help. Hang in there, someone will surely post.... meanwhile try using the search function here on the CB site and you might hit on an answer quicker.

Also use the Ipv4 address from your PB via the browser and see if you can connect that way.
    12-26-11 06:22 PM
    Start by rebooting the Playbook and the pc.

In the setting on the Playbook ensure files sharing is turned on.

Check that you have the Blackberry desktop manager installed on the PC. Then Plug the Playbook in and see if it shows up in desktop.

To use the ip method, ensure you have wif sharing turned on, then look at the network identification properties to set/see the username. Then set a password. This username and password should get you in using the ip method for a network drive.

I am not on a PC to test it, but your playbook may show up in with the other network computers if you set the Workgroup to the same as your other computers. It may also help to set the username and password in the network identification section of the Playbook to the same as the one you use as your log in on the pc.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-26-11 at 06:34 PM.
    12-26-11 06:28 PM
    Thanks for the helpful responses guys; I've tried so many things yet nothing seems to work. I've uninstalled/reinstalled certain drivers, tried Restoring my system to yesterday (before connecting pbk for the first time) yet I still get the same error. Desktop Manager can recognize the pbk just fine, however it cannot "Detect Media Storage".

Here are some pics to help show

Last edited by jermand; 12-26-11 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added better pics
    12-26-11 08:09 PM
    Bump! I really do need help, I've a tablet with no means of putting stuff on :c I even tried accessing it directly by typing in the IP in Windows Explorer; says I need a username and password. Tried my laptop username/pass, then I need a Windows Security password? I'm so lost on this
    In options, under storage and sharing, check these settings:
    USB connections - auto detect
    File sharing - on
    Wifi sharing - on
    Pswd protect - off

Find your PB ip address under options, about, select network, check the ip4 address. This should allow you to enter the ip address in windows explorer to access the drive.

You aren't getting responses because I dont think anyone has seen it before. Very strange.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-26-11 08:42 PM
    Thanks for the helpful responses guys; I've tried so many things yet nothing seems to work. I've uninstalled/reinstalled certain drivers, tried Restoring my system to yesterday (before connecting pbk for the first time) yet I still get the same error. Desktop Manager can recognize the pbk just fine, however it cannot "Detect Media Storage".

Here are some pics to help show
    Um, now I'm more interested in your PC wallpaper than your PB issue! What is going on behind that window?
    12-26-11 08:47 PM
    I have exactly the same problem using XP Pro Sp3 at home, while on the job with same XP Pro Sp3 it will mount directly.

Yes I did an extensive search and tried everything under the sun (except one i guess)

This is a PC problem not a PB problem. Solution? No, I haven't found one.

I gave up trying. For essential files I like to transfer from PC to PB I use dropbox.
    12-26-11 08:51 PM
    Um, now I'm more interested in your PC wallpaper than your PB issue! What is going on behind that window?
    Agreed! Before any more help is given, we need a clean shot of your desktop.
    oldtimeBBaddict and BERaddict like this.
    12-26-11 08:53 PM
    I clipped this from a post made way back in April by Jfiore838. He was referring to an older post. Read on... (Thinking in your case steps 4 and 5)

Originally Posted by zebek

So my Playbook will not show up as either a Network drive, or in Desktop manager. I have 6.0.2.42 of Desktop manager and have reinstalled many times...if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.....tried multiple USB cables......it makes the USB noise when plugged in, but doesn't seem to show up.....

So here is the fix.....................apparantly some computers have issues with network adapters.....

If you are receiving the Unknown Device in Blackberry Desktop Software, and are unable to get your Blackberry Playbook to show up, here are some troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.
    Step 1 � Ensure that your system is running the most current Blackberry Desktop Software. To ensure that you have the most current version, download and install it from this address.
    BlackBerry - Desktop Software - Canada
    By downloading and installing the most current Desktop Software you are ensuring that the correct drivers are actually already installed on your system.

Step 2 � Reboot your computer. (This step may not be required, but just to be safe)

Step 3 � Launch the Blackberry Desktop Software. Plug the USB cable that came with your Playbook into a USB port on your PC. Ensure that the volume is turned on. Ensure that your Blackberry Playbook is charged and powered on. Connect your Playbook to the computer using the micro USB end of the cable you connected to your computer earlier. Listen to hear the USB connected sound on your computer, and ensure that your playbook shows �Connected to Computer� on its display.

Step 4 � Right-click on My Computer, and click on Properties. Click on the Hardware tab. Then click on Device Manager. Expand the Network Adapters list by clicking on the +. Ensure that you have a Network adapter called Research In Motion Network Device in the list. You can now close Device Manager.

Step 5 � Click on the Start menu and open the Control Panel. Double Click on Network Connections. Under the LAN or High-Speed Internet section, you should see a Local Area Connection beside the Research In Motion Network Device, right-click on this Local Area Connection and click on Properties. Click on the General Tab and put check marks beside Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on OK and close Network Connections. Blackberry Desktop Software should now recognize the Blackberry Playbook and you should receive a pop up showing that Blackberry Device Manager is initializing storage volume access. You can now use Desktop Software to synchronize your Playbook and media, and open the Playbook as a Mass Storage device under a Mapped Network Drive.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    12-26-11 10:06 PM
    Welcome to the forums Dylan.

Since your dads PB doesnt work either it meant it has to be the computer. I had the same problem on my laptop and found the answer in these forums. Everyone telling you to check check check your PB and they couldn't see past your desktop.
    12-26-11 10:27 PM
    I've read that some folks have gotten things to work if they turn off wifi and bt on the playbook.
    12-27-11 12:06 AM
    I clipped this from a post made way back in April by Jfiore838. He was referring to an older post. Read on... (Thinking in your case steps 4 and 5)

Originally Posted by zebek

So my Playbook will not show up as either a Network drive, or in Desktop manager. I have 6.0.2.42 of Desktop manager and have reinstalled many times...if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.....tried multiple USB cables......it makes the USB noise when plugged in, but doesn't seem to show up.....

So here is the fix.....................apparantly some computers have issues with network adapters.....

If you are receiving the Unknown Device in Blackberry Desktop Software, and are unable to get your Blackberry Playbook to show up, here are some troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.
    Step 1 – Ensure that your system is running the most current Blackberry Desktop Software. To ensure that you have the most current version, download and install it from this address.
    BlackBerry - Desktop Software - Canada
    By downloading and installing the most current Desktop Software you are ensuring that the correct drivers are actually already installed on your system.

Step 2 – Reboot your computer. (This step may not be required, but just to be safe)

Step 3 – Launch the Blackberry Desktop Software. Plug the USB cable that came with your Playbook into a USB port on your PC. Ensure that the volume is turned on. Ensure that your Blackberry Playbook is charged and powered on. Connect your Playbook to the computer using the micro USB end of the cable you connected to your computer earlier. Listen to hear the USB connected sound on your computer, and ensure that your playbook shows “Connected to Computer” on its display.

Step 4 – Right-click on My Computer, and click on Properties. Click on the Hardware tab. Then click on Device Manager. Expand the Network Adapters list by clicking on the +. Ensure that you have a Network adapter called Research In Motion Network Device in the list. You can now close Device Manager.

Step 5 – Click on the Start menu and open the Control Panel. Double Click on Network Connections. Under the LAN or High-Speed Internet section, you should see a Local Area Connection beside the Research In Motion Network Device, right-click on this Local Area Connection and click on Properties. Click on the General Tab and put check marks beside Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on OK and close Network Connections. Blackberry Desktop Software should now recognize the Blackberry Playbook and you should receive a pop up showing that Blackberry Device Manager is initializing storage volume access. You can now use Desktop Software to synchronize your Playbook and media, and open the Playbook as a Mass Storage device under a Mapped Network Drive.
    I have done all that multiple times; the 3 boxes (Client for MSWindows/File& Printer Sharing and the TCI/IP) are all checked.. the box appears saying "Inirializing storage and volume access" but after about 2 minutes, the error pops up saying "error could not initialize storage/volume access, please reconnect device [E:0x35]. The pbk itself always says its connected to computer though :c No network drive appears in Computer, nothing. Why have you forsaken me, playbook?!

Thanks for your help guys, as promised, instead of a clean pic of my desktop, I've uploaded the Wallpaper itself for your.. enjoyment

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9...642897894r.jpg

EDIT: I've noticed in Device Manager, under the RIM Network adapters Properties, it has no network value. Am I to set this myself, or is this of no concern?

Last edited by jermand; 12-27-11 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added info
    jcbrunson likes this.
    12-27-11 07:36 AM
    HA! We thank you for the wallpaper pic - now we know what she was doin under the window! Funny stuff.
    12-27-11 08:29 AM
    Another issue that I have had, could be related. I mount network drives on my laptop via VPN when remote. Whenever I have the drives connected, I cannot see the PB mounted in there (drive letter is Y, or something in that range). Most network drives get mounted at the back end of the letters to avoid conflicting A, B, C, etc. Once I drop VPN connections, the PB shows up just fine. This has happened to me with other devices - sd cards, USB drives, etc. Maybe you are having the same issue.
    12-27-11 08:44 AM
    I don't use VPN connections, so I don't think I have any being used right now?

I tried plugging in my pbk again for the heck of it, and it said "new device found, installing drivers" and my eyes lit up! Only to be greeted with "drivers unsuccessfully installed, device unplugged" when I haven't touched it.. pbk still says "Connected to Computer".

I tried plugging it into my Ps3, which the tablet said "Installing Drivers, please accept new driver installation on your device (being my Ps3) which I can't, I just wanted to see if it could read it. So is there a way I can force my pbk to re-install its drivers onto my laptop?

I've Google'd my error code, my problem, even tried to find drivers to no avail. Seems I am forever doomed to a media-less tablet

EDIT: I've browsed some of Blackberrys' Support Forum Threads, and found a few with people having similar if not the same problems as I am; they even have the same setup (laptop w/WIN7 64bit OS). I'm lurking them (as I am my own thread here, lol) hoping some genius will come out and fix [our] problems! Lol

Links:
    http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...r/td-p/1476383

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...t/td-p/1477571
    Last edited by jermand; 12-27-11 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added info
    12-27-11 02:27 PM
    Have you checked the firewall on your desktop? Perhaps disable it. (Sorry if this idea was already given)
    12-27-11 03:21 PM
    I have :c nothing seems to work. My dad helped reinstall the tablet OS for a fresh start; now the computer and Desktop Manager don't even recognize it! (Unknown device)

All is doomed.
    12-27-11 05:57 PM
    Have you tried uninstalling DM. Reboot. Download install and run ccleaner Download CCleaner 3.14.1616 - FileHippo.com run the file cleaner and the registry cleaner (save a copy of the reg, it will ask). Reboot. Download DM and install. Reboot. Plug playbook in and see what happens.
    12-27-11 06:08 PM
    I've Google'd my error code, my problem, even tried to find drivers to no avail. Seems I am forever doomed to a media-less tablet
    Wait a sec, bro. Use Wifi to connect to the PB. I use it more than the usb cable. No way we're accepting a media-less tabby!
    kbz1960 and jermand like this.
    12-27-11 07:08 PM
    Wait a sec, bro. Use Wifi to connect to the PB. I use it more than the usb cable. No way we're accepting a media-less tabby!
    I have tried, my laptop cannot 'find', 'access' or 'recognize' any kind of connection with my tablet (other than it plugs in, makes the "dunDUN noise and that's it). I've tried via wifi (entering the IP) and it cannot access. I'm going to try kbz's method, I already have CCleaner so here goes nothing! Thanks for all your help and attention guys, especially jcbrunson

Have you tried uninstalling DM. Reboot. Download install and run ccleaner Download CCleaner 3.14.1616 - FileHippo.com run the file cleaner and the registry cleaner (save a copy of the reg, it will ask). Reboot. Download DM and install. Reboot. Plug playbook in and see what happens.

EDIT: Have tried everything you said kbz; to no avail. CCleaner even rid over 2gigs of crap; ran it several times (and the registry cleaner!) but my laptop just does NOT recognize my pbk :c

EDIT2: I reset my Network Adapters, and my laptop now re-recognizes my pbk as a pbk (and not an unknown device). So I'm one step closer to back where I was! Haha also this:

Last edited by jermand; 12-27-11 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added pic
    12-27-11 07:16 PM
    I do not remember the key to making sure that there are enough "assignable drive letters" which use to be a problem and might still be. In other words, if your computer is "fixated" on only drives c: - f: or instance, it may not be able to assign a drive designation to the pb. But I don't know if that was an older Win problem or still exists.

Refresh - what version of win? USB or wifi?
    12-27-11 08:59 PM
    I do not remember the key to making sure that there are enough "assignable drive letters" which use to be a problem and might still be. In other words, if your computer is "fixated" on only drives c: - f: or instance, it may not be able to assign a drive designation to the pb. But I don't know if that was an older Win problem or still exists.

I believe in an earlier post, he said he was using WIN 7, 64bit.
    12-27-11 09:21 PM

I'm tellin ya, the drive letter thing is the issue. The Desktop Mgr screen shots you showed above - same as what I was seeing this morning when connected to network drives via VPN. OP is using WinXP SP3, I believe. The good news is that it is a Windoze thing, not a PB thing!
    12-27-11 10:20 PM
    I know you have tried EVERYTHING but have you tried this... After you plug in your PB to the laptop open an explorer window and right click on Network and go to Map Network Drive and assign Z: as your PB drive.

Sometimes it is the simple things
    12-27-11 11:31 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD