After checking out the videos on Crackberry of the upcoming ability to remote control the playbook using you Blackberry phone (http://crackberry.com/blackberry-remote), I'm starting to think the Playbook could make an awesome media center.

The playbook can already connect to USB storage to get around the internal storage limitations (in a rooted playbook, but hopefully there will be native support for this in OS2 -- HowTo – Guide for BlackBerry PlayBook USB Hosting (Connecting External HDD & Pendrives) | BlackBerry India).

I'm actually really excited about the possibilities. With a few minor updates the Playbook could be one of the best media centers on the market. Here are the needed updates that would really push things over the top IMO:

1) Blackberry should update the OS to allow access to files on networked storage. (this is a no brainer... get on it RIM)

2) The media player on the playbook needs to be updated to support more media formats and have a better interface. Alternatively, android media players that work with the playbook might be sufficient.

3) Somebody really needs to make a better dock for the playbook which can be left connected to the TV. It would need to have HDMI and full size USB connectors.

What do you guys think? Is there anything else that's needed?
    01-10-12 12:58 PM
    You can only plug in a usb drive if the pb is frigging rooted, and i wont be doing that !
    01-10-12 01:05 PM
    The CompRemote app has allowed me to use the Playbook as a mouse pad and keyboard for my laptop when it is hooked up to my TV. The BB as a remote just gives me another option to do so... always good to have options!

And I think I would prefer using the Playbook as a mouse and keyboard for my laptop hooked up to a TV, as opposed to using my phone as the mouse and keyboard for a Playbook hooked up to my TV. Only because I love the feel of the Playbook in my hands.
    01-10-12 01:11 PM
    If they had a box (read AppleTV) so I could do it all wirelessly from the playbook or BB phone, I would agree it would be the best but having to plug in my playbook isn't for me.

But, it will be very, very good. Don't get me wrong. I just like having the PlayBook available always, not tied to the TV.
    01-10-12 04:43 PM
    Having to leave the playbook plugged to the TV isn't workable. That's why there needs to be a dock that you can leave plugged in to the TV and simply drop the playbook in when you want to watch something on the big screen.

The ability to navigate and type using the phone means that browsing on the TV would be a much more enjoyable experience than with any of the current media players.
    01-10-12 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD