So here's your chance to tell is why you think we are wrong:

Wrong for:

Waiting for OS updates?
    Waiting for improved Android Runtime?
    Waiting for Bridge Hub?
    Waiting for new Apps?

Here's your chance...go for it!!

Who are the cynics that appear so regularly in these forums? I think most are probably disenchanted PlayBook owners who were hoping for BB10...well we didn't get it! Move on!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-12-14 07:30 AM
    Is it cynical to think that the Playbook is EOL? It is over three years old. That is ancient in tablet/phone years. Even if Blackberry was doing well in the market they would probably launch an new model instead of continuing development of an old product. I am not "disenchanted" with my Playbook. When I bought it I was hoping the Playbook environment would continue to expand but it did not. I still use it, but not as often as before. I used it as an internet radio yesterday while I changed the oil on my truck. See...still useful. If it dies I will not replace it with another Playbook. If I have to spend money I will get something with a more complete app market.
    Carl Estes, Cynycl, jvinp and 1 others like this.
    03-12-14 07:56 AM
    So here's your chance to tell is why you think we are wrong:

Wrong for:

Waiting for OS updates?
    Waiting for improved Android Runtime?
    Waiting for Bridge Hub?
    Waiting for new Apps?

Here's your chance...go for it!!

Who are the cynics that appear so regularly in these forums? I think most are probably disenchanted PlayBook owners who were hoping for BB10...well we didn't get it! Move on!

The simple answer to all your questions is.................THERE IS NO MONEY IN IT! John Chen might be a benevolent individual but he is not running a charity. Money talks and BS walks, period.

I never wanted or expected BB10. I had my playbooks long before that talk surfaced. I expected a playbook with the functions they promised long before BB10 was ever uttered on these forums. How about DLNA, USBTG, and the android runtime updates they'd been promising for years, so you could sideload working apps.

It's not the waiting I'm cynical about. It is your assertion that a security patch is an OS update. When java updates on my Windows xp pc, should I consider that a Windows OS update too?

The playbook hasn't received an OS update in more than a year. The bridge updates are for the phones and only BB10 phones, in an dismal effort to restore funcitionality that already existed with the legacy phones. This has nothing to do with the playbook. It doesn't make the playbook more functional, it is only designed to give someone with a playbook a reason to consider upgrading to a BB10 phone. BBRY is updating bridge to sell phones and rightfully so, but it shows you where playbook is on their radar when BB10 still doesn't provide full bridge functionality this late in the game. They couldn't care less about the playbook except being able to leverage current owners into purchasing a BB10 phone.

As for apps, why would there be more apps coming designed for the playbook now that the big BB10 selling feature is Andriod apps.

Playbook development is dead, the hardware is dying off slowly but surely and I'm sure BBRY will be happy when the last one gasps its final breath. I still use my playbooks but they have been relegated to music players.

Everything else that I bought the tablet to do, I now do on a $129.00 tablet that blows the playbook out of the water on every level with the exception of sound quality.

You don't need to tell the members to move on, most of them already have.
    03-12-14 08:49 AM
    I bought my Playbook a few months before it was announced that BB10 wasn't coming to the Playbook. To be honest it didn't bother me at all as the Playbook does everything I need it to do without BB10. Full bridge functionality with my 9810 is a bonus. Having said that, I don't think there will be much more time spent by BlackBerry on the Playbook and the last OS update will probably be the last, but we can live in hope!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-12-14 09:10 AM
    I bought my Playbook a few months before it was announced that BB10 wasn't coming to the Playbook. To be honest it didn't bother me at all as the Playbook does everything I need it to do without BB10. Full bridge functionality with my 9810 is a bonus. Having said that, I don't think there will be much more time spent by BlackBerry on the Playbook and the last OS update will probably be the last, but we can live in hope!
    Very well said member.......... Like myself you like your pb for what it does and not for what you want bb to make it do? Members keep bleating about Android run time and the pb and I have to ask why. If android is such a godsend as an OS then buy a droid tablet? Simple eh? Do apple try to emulate droid? Do droid try to emulate apple? I have the pb, ipad and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tabs and two of them permanently gather dust. Just a hint for you here.........it's not the pb?

Thank you for your post.
    03-12-14 09:30 AM
    Very well said member.......... Like myself you like your pb for what it does and not for what you want bb to make it do? Members keep bleating about Android run time and the pb and I have to ask why. If android is such a godsend as an OS then buy a droid tablet? Simple eh? Do apple try to emulate droid? Do droid try to emulate apple? I have the pb, ipad and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tabs and two of them permanently gather dust. Just a hint for you here.........it's not the pb?

Thank you for your post.
    Isn't the latest and greatest feature of the new BB10 update, the ability to emulate a droid phone?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-12-14 09:47 AM
    Isn't the latest and greatest feature of the new BB10 update, the ability to emulate a droid phone?
    Dont know and have even less interest. Bit like buying a popcorn making machine and then complaining that it won't fry bacon?
    qwerty4ever and Cynycl like this.
    03-12-14 09:53 AM
    Dont know and have even less interest. Bit like buying a popcorn making machine and then complaining that it won't fry bacon?
    True enough, even though that sounds vaguley familiar.

The topic of today's thread however, is not what the playbook currently does, it is whether it will ever do more and whether there is reason to expect it will.

Since it doesn't fry bacon, I'm guessing that you are just happy with your popcorn and would therefore consider the yes it will be updated crowd as crazy as the no it won't contigent, for wanting or expecting more from the device than it offerred at the time of purchase.

Me I like my popcorn bacon flavored. At the very least, I want the butter warmer attachment that came with the machine to function.
    03-12-14 10:11 AM
    not bothered about bb10 but would like a better android runtime mainly because that will keep playbook going for as long as the batteries stay charged. the specifications on the playbook are still as good if not better than a basic android but with a better build quality, gps etc... it might not be cutting edge but its still a valid piece of tech for those who want it to be.

mind you I don't use them for half the stuff I could, it would be nice if BB could address the simpler issues like the backlight timer and the runtime for us, when they have a minute. a lot of us don't have other BB devices (me because I've never got on with them despite having two) so bridge updates mean little but a better playbook enviroment might help us think again.
    03-12-14 10:25 AM
    True enough, even though that sounds vaguley familiar.

The topic of today's thread however, is not what the playbook currently does, it is whether it will ever do more and whether there is reason to expect it will.

Since it doesn't fry bacon, I'm guessing that you are just happy with your popcorn and would therefore consider the yes it will be updated crowd as crazy as the no it won't contigent, for wanting or expecting more from the device than it offerred at the time of purchase.

Me I like my popcorn bacon flavored. At the very least, I want the butter warmer attachment that came with the machine to function.
    You're making me hungry...
    Cynycl likes this.
    03-12-14 10:29 AM
    not bothered about bb10 but would like a better android runtime mainly because that will keep playbook going for as long as the batteries stay charged. the specifications on the playbook are still as good if not better than a basic android but with a better build quality, gps etc... it might not be cutting edge but its still a valid piece of tech for those who want it to be.

mind you I don't use them for half the stuff I could, it would be nice if BB could address the simpler issues like the backlight timer and the runtime for us, when they have a minute. a lot of us don't have other BB devices (me because I've never got on with them despite having two) so bridge updates mean little but a better playbook enviroment might help us think again.
    Correct, enjoy your pb for what it does for you!
    03-12-14 10:31 AM
    Im not a cynic. I liked the Playbook. Right off the bat I was disappointed that the excel app Sheets To Go didn't work well with excel files. That was a major thing for me. Still I enjoyed the other pleasures of Playbook ownership. Updates were promised and the promises were inflated, the inflated promises were many and the updates were few. I used my Playbook everyday for work, but if it functioned the way it was supposed to, I could have gotten a lot more done. I ended up buying a Nexus7 2013. I don't care for it, but it works well. Now that I have my Z30, I have left the N7 home and didn't miss it. Z30 FTW!
    03-12-14 11:01 AM
    If you get a playbook based on what you hope blackberry will to do it, you will undoubtedly be disappointed. If you buy one because of what it can do for you you may be a satisfied user. I am content using the tablet as it sits, though I certainly would like to see upgrades. But I am not kidding myself - in a world where 10.2.1 has yet to be uniformly pushed to mobile handsets playbook updates are probably dead in the water.
    03-12-14 11:19 AM
    Thank you for your comments so far. Maybe cynics was not the right word to start with as I think all of us would like 'significant updates', but only some still believe this will happen. When BlackBerry announced there will be no BB10 on the PlayBook a comment from the forums stood out to me. It was saying that by not putting BB10 In the PlayBook BlackBerry have just let down their most loyal fans...the 'BlackBerry Evangelists' We now accept BB10 on the PlayBook is not going to happen, but there are improvements BlackBerry can make...Bridge Hub, Android Runtime and Browser etc Probably every loyal BlackBerry fan has or had a PlayBook and a BB10 phone. So this is a message to BlackBerry even this late in the game:

If you keep improving the PlayBook, by providing 'significant updates' you will have resurrected thousands of BlackBerry salesmen loyal to the Brand. You will have listened. Isn't that the best way forward?

03-12-14 12:39 PM
    I got a total of two android games on my Z10. Couldn't care less about the thousands of apps available from snap or amazon. That feature is available to those who are app crazy. As far as I'm concerned just a talking point for those cynics who claim BB got no apps.
    sad_old_man and Cynycl like this.
    03-12-14 01:02 PM
    I got a total of two android games on my Z10. Couldn't care less about the thousands of apps available from snap or amazon. That feature is available to those who are app crazy. As far as I'm concerned just a talking point for those cynics who claim BB got no apps.
    Ear ear?
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    03-12-14 01:07 PM
    I agree about the apps, barely downloaded any on my droid tab. The difference being, it is nice when the apps you do want, just work. If I could get DLNA enabled and NHL Gamecenter working on the playbook, I wouldn't have had reason to try another operating system.

Didn't want to..................Thorberry made me do it
    03-12-14 01:44 PM
    [QUOTE=Cynycl;10111031]I agree about the apps, barely downloaded any on my droid tab. The difference being, it is nice when the apps you do want, just work. If I could get DLNA enabled and NHL Gamecenter working on the playbook, I wouldn't have had reason to try another operating system.

Didn't want to..................Thorberry made me do it[/QUOTE]

Are you a strong baby or a chicken mouse?
    Cynycl likes this.
    03-12-14 02:53 PM
    [QUOTE=sad_old_man;10111261]
    I agree about the apps, barely downloaded any on my droid tab. The difference being, it is nice when the apps you do want, just work. If I could get DLNA enabled and NHL Gamecenter working on the playbook, I wouldn't have had reason to try another operating system.

Didn't want to..................Thorberry made me do it[/QUOTE]

Are you a strong baby or a chicken mouse?
    I'm a chromecasting googleoid but the doctor said my chances of a full recovery are good.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-12-14 03:13 PM
    [QUOTE=Cynycl;10111343]

I'm a chromecasting googleoid but the doctor said my chances of a full recovery are good.
    Not if I find out where you is?
    Cynycl likes this.
    03-12-14 03:31 PM
    [QUOTE=sad_old_man;10111398]

Not if I find out where you is?
    I iz sattin right here.

Iz waiting for the crackberry page to refresh. I should be here for at least an hour while the ads load
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-12-14 03:37 PM
    [QUOTE=Cynycl;10111421]

I iz sattin right here.

Iz waiting for the crackberry page to refresh. I should be here for at least an hour while the ads load
    Me is avin super fast sponse times I is.......faster than baked beans on toast?
    Cynycl likes this.
    03-12-14 03:44 PM
    [QUOTE=sad_old_man;10111456]

Me is avin super fast sponse times I is.......faster than baked beans on toast?
    Too late. It's quitin time heres and I'm headed out to brave the snow and cold in my trek home to check my playbook for an update. I'd better stop at the beer store on the way in case I need to temper my disappointment.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-12-14 03:55 PM
    I only purchased my NEW PlayBook this year - I by complete chance found a 64GB WIFI one still in its sealed box. No idea where it has been hiding but I don't care, as it's mine now.

I couldn't be happier with it, as it does everything I intended to use it for:
    - BBM and SMS via Bridge
    - Local music and video storage
    - A2DP Bluetooth Streaming of said media to speakers
    - Social Media / Web browsing

It does everything admirably, and I had no trouble getting the Z10 to share its messages, files and even its 4G connection vis bridge, albeit with a bottleneck on the Bluetooth speed! It's a great little device, with very solid build quality, battery life and it's a nice size.

I have an iPad 2, and yeah its good - but it doesn't make putting or sharing media on it the easiest task in the world with its lame dependency on iTunes. Just a shame BB won't update it anymore, but they may make a new one in a year or two...
    03-12-14 05:35 PM
    BlackBerry have just let down their most loyal fans...the 'BlackBerry Evangelists'
    you will have resurrected thousands of BlackBerry salesmen loyal to the Brand. You will have listened. Isn't that the best way forward?
    Your limited influence isn't worth anything to them.
    03-12-14 06:31 PM
28 12