My playbook is off
    I plug it into the USB on my computer to charge
    It turns on.

Obvious fault and probably based it recognising the computer with the 'Connect to Computer' app/screen coming lift.

Is there anyway to stop this?
    12-15-11 07:11 PM
    It's best to charge in an outlet.
    Why do you prefer it to be off while charging? You can just leave it in sleep mode
    12-15-11 07:13 PM
    I just don't want it to turn on every time I hook it up to the PC to charge.
    Seems a fault/defect to me.
    And annoying as the boot up takes a while, so after plugging in you have to wait around to them turn it off or to sleep.

Sorry just like things to work well
    12-15-11 07:17 PM
    I'm not sure if its just me. But my playbook doesn't charge via usb through my computer (or if it does its extremely slow. My thoughts were you only hooked it up to the computer to manage files and such through the desktop manager, which is why the device turns on when plugged into the computer.
    And you used the cable for the outlet for charging. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    12-15-11 07:21 PM
    Ah that could be a thought.
    I hope it does charge through the computer.
    I charge everything else that way from iPod to Phone to mini speakers.
    Cheers will have to check in the morning if it has charged it.
    12-15-11 07:27 PM
    USB charging is very slow. Your best option may be to plug it in while the PB is turned on then turn off your PB. At least you wouldn't have to wait.
    12-15-11 07:28 PM
    The PB does charge very slowly using the USB connection to a computer, offcourse relative to normal or rapid chargers.

To the OP, the PB does not turn on if you are plugging it to a computer or wall charger if it was switched off, but if the PB is on standby then it will wake up once plugged to a charging source. Just double check the status of your PB when you are using the USB connection, if its turning on from a shut off state then it seems as a problem, might need to call this into RIM customer care.
    12-15-11 07:32 PM
    To the OP, the PB does not turn on if you are plugging it to a computer
    It does turn on when you plug it into a computer when it is powered off. I had the beta 2.0 and I wanted to downgrade, and the instructions told me to turn off the playbook and plug it into the computer. This turned it on and prompted the computer to update. (which installs the non beta OS)
    12-15-11 07:34 PM
    I just tried and my PB turned on after plugging it in to my PC. Learn something new everyday.
    The worst way to charge it in my opinion. Just from a waste of energy standpoint.
    12-15-11 07:38 PM
    It does turn on when you plug it into a computer when it is powered off. I had the beta 2.0 and I wanted to downgrade, and the instructions told me to turn off the playbook and plug it into the computer. This turned it on and prompted the computer to update. (which installs the non beta OS)
    Thanks for the observation, I hadnt exploited/explored it earlier....
    Seems its obvious as the DM is set to do the OS upgrade and or install/downgrades once connected.
    12-15-11 09:05 PM
    I just tried and my PB turned on after plugging it in to my PC. Learn something new everyday.
    The worst way to charge it in my opinion. Just from a waste of energy standpoint.
    how is this a waste of energy when it's really the opposite? it's one less thing that u have that you're not plugging in to a wall consuming more energy.
    12-16-11 12:20 AM
    how is this a waste of energy when it's really the opposite? it's one less thing that u have that you're not plugging in to a wall consuming more energy.
    You have to leave your PC running all night to slowly power your PB. That's why.
    12-16-11 07:27 AM

Is there anyway to stop this?
    You can try getting a charge only cable. It will charge at a higher rate with this cable, assuming your USB port or hub supports the higher current. If you are in the USA, AT&T has charge only cables for the blackberry phones.

If you are handy and don't mind modifying a normal usb cable, a charge cable has the two thin data lines disconnected at the computer end and shorted at the Playbook end. Just slit open a cheap cable and cut the two small wires and then strip and twist together the ends that go to the Playbook plug. The larger wires are the charge/power wires. With the charge cable the Playbook knows the cable is a charge cable and will draw more current from the usb port.

There is an App on AppWorld called Battery guru which will allow you to see at what rate the playbook is charging. As others have noted, you do not need to turn the playbook off to charge. With Battery Guru running, you can plug in the Playbook, confirm it is charging and then just hit the battery icon on the playbook and select standby.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-16-11 at 08:31 AM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-16-11 08:27 AM
    You have to leave your PC running all night to slowly power your PB. That's why.
    wow, then there is something seriously wrong with your playbook as i can charge mine through my pc in under 2hrs, that's IF it's completely depleted. if i use the charger that it came with it would take me about 45 min... if i plug it into my laptop, i can charge it there without plugging in the laptop (provided it's already charged), and i'm not "wasting" ANY energy. I guess it's a "cup half full/half empty" sort of thing the way you and i look at things...ah well, good luck.
    12-19-11 10:48 AM
    wow, then there is something seriously wrong with your playbook as i can charge mine through my pc in under 2hrs, that's IF it's completely depleted. if i use the charger that it came with it would take me about 45 min... if i plug it into my laptop, i can charge it there without plugging in the laptop (provided it's already charged), and i'm not "wasting" ANY energy. I guess it's a "cup half full/half empty" sort of thing the way you and i look at things...ah well, good luck.
    There's something very wrong with your PlayBook if it can be charged from a PC in under 2 hours, or in 45 minutes using the included charger.

The PlayBook has a nominally 19.98Wh battery. The included charger can charge that up in a bit over 3.5h. A typical PC through the USB port will take many more hours to manage the same thing. To do that much in 45 minutes, even if we ignore the fact that it gradually drops off the current as it nears completion, it would have to be charging at 26.6W. Simple not possible.

If it appears to be taking you much less time, then your battery or charger is messed up somehow. Either it's reporting far less capacity than it should have, or you're not really going from empty, or not really charging till it's full.
    12-19-11 10:57 AM
    I hardly (only ones a week) power off my playbook. It's always on stand-by.

Connect it to a charger, it's waking up, I put it to sleep again and i'm done.
    The whole transactions took me 1 second (from waking up to back to sleep)

So, really, I don't see the problem here.

If things don't work like you want it to work because it just not work like that, doesn't mean to say there is something wrong with it.

To answer your question as asked in the title of your thread: Yes it does.
    12-19-11 11:23 AM
    There's something very wrong with your PlayBook if it can be charged from a PC in under 2 hours, or in 45 minutes using the included charger.

The PlayBook has a nominally 19.98Wh battery. The included charger can charge that up in a bit over 3.5h. A typical PC through the USB port will take many more hours to manage the same thing. To do that much in 45 minutes, even if we ignore the fact that it gradually drops off the current as it nears completion, it would have to be charging at 26.6W. Simple not possible.

If it appears to be taking you much less time, then your battery or charger is messed up somehow. Either it's reporting far less capacity than it should have, or you're not really going from empty, or not really charging till it's full.
    i guess i should have been more specific as i don't know too many (or any) people that uses any device until the battery is completely depleted. yes, when i charge my playbook the battery is usually at around 50%. it's very rare that i would let it go passed that, if i come home after work and it's at 45% or so and i'm not using it, then why wouldn't i charge it?? same goes for my phone. i think it was perhaps one time that my battery was in red at about 20% that i had to charge it and it took about a little over 2hrs to get it at about 85% on the playbook with the regular charger.
    12-23-11 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD