12-25-13 10:39 AM
42 12
tools
    Did I ever mention either my house's electrical wiring or did I ever suggest, infer or otherwise that RIM has anything to do with it? - No, I didn't.
    Please read things a little more carefully before coming out with unpleasant sideswipes.
    May I remind you again, that this a forum for ladies and gentlemen - not a place for you to vent your spleen at people you perceive as sullying the RIM brand.
    Politeness costs nothing.
    Please keep your offensive remarks to yourself or I will make a formal complaint to the Sysop and ask that you be banned from this usergroup.
    Thank you.

Ian
    06-24-12 08:47 PM
    Err is demo mode turned off

if your pb is playing random videps while in standbye, you should check if demo mode is turned off.

pull down the options panel from the top bezel and go to General. check what it says under demo mode.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    06-24-12 09:45 PM
    That's weird! Usually my PB turns ME on!!!

(Sorry, may my wife forgive me but I just had to... )

Back on a serious note try asking for an RMA...might be worth a shot.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-24-12 10:15 PM
    Did I ever mention either my house's electrical wiring or did I ever suggest, infer or otherwise that RIM has anything to do with it? - No, I didn't.
    Please read things a little more carefully before coming out with unpleasant sideswipes.
    May I remind you again, that this a forum for ladies and gentlemen - not a place for you to vent your spleen at people you perceive as sullying the RIM brand.
    Politeness costs nothing.
    Please keep your offensive remarks to yourself or I will make a formal complaint to the Sysop and ask that you be banned from this usergroup.
    Thank you.

Ian
    uhm, this whole thread is abut RIM and how they have everything to do with it. I've lost track at how many times you've said RIM and dropped the ball and disaster and selling it at a loss and letting it become someone else's problem and flawed and inadequacies...etc. Saying you haven't been inflammatory doesn't make you non inflammatory... You've been told the issue multiple times, you have currents in the air that are affecting the electrical response of the touchscreen. I suggest YOU read things a little more carefully. And if you think this is one venting there spleen and offensive. I don't know what to tell you.

I am not a RIM fanboy. In fact I am critical all the time but I at least offer suggestions at improving things with RIM and also help people with there problems with PlayBooks and BB's. You've just been told the problem multiple times by multiple people and simply ignore it and go back to your aforementioned sayings about RIM.

Good day.
    06-24-12 10:17 PM
    Thank you,I'll check that out. I doubt it though, since if it were on demo mode, surely it'd be happening all the time. My wife said it went off at about 10am this morning. The last time it went off at 3.30am, so it's a random occurence.
    I've got BB support on to this and gave sent them a log. Hopefully, they will have some suggestions.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Ian
    if your pb is playing random videps while in standbye, you should check if demo mode is turned off.

pull down the options panel from the top bezel and go to General. check what it says under demo mode.

jpash549 likes this.
    06-24-12 10:42 PM
    I disagree with what you say but at least your reply was sober,polite and merely an opinion. This is your right to express. It would have been nice if you had adopted this tack in the first place though. The simplest thing is, since you don't like my posts and you appear not to have any helpful suggestions, please don't read or reply to any further requests I make. That will save us both a lot of time and effort. Kind regards, ian
    uhm, this whole thread is abut RIM and how they have everything to do with it. I've lost track at how many times you've said RIM and dropped the ball and disaster and selling it at a loss and letting it become someone else's problem and flawed and inadequacies...etc. Saying you haven't been inflammatory doesn't make you non inflammatory... You've been told the issue multiple times, you have currents in the air that are affecting the electrical response of the touchscreen. I suggest YOU read things a little more carefully. And if you think this is one venting there spleen and offensive. I don't know what to tell you.

I am not a RIM fanboy. In fact I am critical all the time but I at least offer suggestions at improving things with RIM and also help people with there problems with PlayBooks and BB's. You've just been told the problem multiple times by multiple people and simply ignore it and go back to your aforementioned sayings about RIM.

Good day.
    06-24-12 10:47 PM
    That's weird! Usually my PB turns ME on!!!

(Sorry, may my wife forgive me but I just had to... )

Back on a serious note try asking for an RMA...might be worth a shot.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Yes ask for an RMA they'll send you a peace of crap. That's what Rim does recycle all their crappie Playbooks.
    06-24-12 11:32 PM
    Thank you,I'll check that out. I doubt it though, since if it were on demo mode, surely it'd be happening all the time. My wife said it went off at about 10am this morning. The last time it went off at 3.30am, so it's a random occurence.

I've got BB support on to this and gave sent them a log. Hopefully, they will have some suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ian

don't doubt and don't assume. go check it out!

you should have done that the second you read my post instead of replying that you doubt that is the problem. if you had you would have seen the description of what demo mode is and noticed it fits your symptoms.

at the very least you would have come back to me saying: that isn't the problem instead of some excuse why you don't think it is the problem.

i get the feeling you are not serious about troubleshooting your pb and are posting here just to on RIM.

i've never had this issue with my pb. infact, doing a little research; no one else has had this issue. that fact plus the way you are acting on the forum makes me quite certain your issue with the pb is a user error.

06-25-12 06:46 AM
    Yes ask for an RMA they'll send you a peace of crap. That's what Rim does recycle all their crappie Playbooks.
    So, does every other electronics maker throw all the old stuff away and only issue new replacements? No. They do the exact same thing. You've got a lot to learn about business...
    06-25-12 11:23 AM
    I believe that the replacement unit I got after an rma was brand new but I don't know that for a fact. It had no blemishes at all, the original screen protector (swiping hands) and only a few recharge cycles (testing?).
    06-25-12 01:12 PM
    I wish my wife can turn on herself, then I can skip the courtship and foreplay.
    06-25-12 02:12 PM
    If you are having weird things happening put it in airplane mode when you put it in standby and see if that helps[If your phone or tablet does strange things at night or other times you might wonder what messaging apps you have and what settings you are using. Thought this Purdue University news room releasewas interesting and am attaching a copy of the Abstract. The study involved 187 Android apps of which 42 were found to have no-sleep bugs.

ABSTRACT

What Is Keeping My Phone Awake?

Characterizing and Detecting No-Sleep Energy Bugs in Smartphone Apps

Abhinav Pathak (pathaka@purdue.edu), Abhilash Jindal (jindal0@purdue.edu), Y. Charlie Hu (ychu@purdue.edu) and Samuel P. Midkiff, (smidkiff@ecn.purdue.edu)

Purdue University

Despite their immense popularity in recent years, smartphones are, and will remain, severely limited by their battery life. Preserving this critical resource has driven smartphone OSes to undergo a paradigm shift in power management: by default every component, including the CPU, stays off or in an idle state, unless the app explicitly instructs the OS to keep it on. Such a policy encumbers app developers to explicitly juggle power control APIs exported by the OS to keep the components on during their active use by the app and off otherwise. The resulting power-encumbered programming unavoidably gives rise to a new class of software energy bugs on smartphones called no-sleep bugs, which arise from mishandling power control APIs by apps or the framework and result in significant and unexpected battery drainage. This paper makes the first advances towards understanding and automatically detecting software energy bugs on smartphones. It makes the following three contributions: (1) We present the first comprehensive study of real-world no-sleep energy bug characteristics; (2) We propose the first automatic solution to detect these bugs based on the classic reaching definition data flow analysis algorithm; (3) We provide experimental data showing that our tool accurately detected all 12 known instances of no-sleep bugs and found 30 new bugs in the 86 apps examined.
    06-25-12 08:27 PM
    What charger are you using? A quick one with the magnetic connector, or the one that came with the PB and the USB connector?

With my PB, when the charger is connected, a simple touch to the screen will make it wake up. (it annoys me. Is there any way to disable this and have it always bezel-to-bezel?) I see your problem as something that makes the touch circuit see a touch. Either a zap through or from the neoprene pouch, or some electrical noise from the power lines. Actually a voltage sag, like when a fridge or an air conditioner starts, might turn it on as the PB wakes up upon connecting or disconnecting the charger. If a spike can turn it on, the next spike might be seen as another touch and trigger an icon.

When the PB is on the battery only, does the phenomenon happen?
    06-25-12 10:02 PM
    When the PB is in standby it is still responsive to signals if the wifi is on certainly.And there can be some apps that don't turn completely off such as Battery Guru which doesn't use much power. There can be other apps which are not properly designed which cause trouble in standby. Are you using Android apps? If it turned on in the neoprene case I presume you did not have it on the charger but don't know if you had left the wi-fi on -thus the suggestion of airplane mode. It is indeed a mystery as to why this phenomena would happen more in the case than out. As I recall it does fit fairly tightly in the case and maybe this might lead to pressure depending on how you laid it down.
    06-26-12 02:05 AM
    Last night for the first time ever after having my PlayBook for a year, my PlayBook twice started up by itself. Once a random advert and the second time I woke up to music and my video screen showing. Spooky but unlike a previous reviewer, I love my PlayBook so no complaints about it, just freaked out by what happened.
    12-24-13 06:42 PM
    I had it happen 6 months ago, last few months my wifi would jam (reboot), the forgetting my saved wifi profiles, and two days a go my headphone jack stopped working...security wiped and all issues gone (touchwood)
    12-24-13 08:58 PM
    My guess is barring any app or setting issue that there is a high amount of static electricity which is mimicking the touch aspect. Outside of this thread I am not aware of any other reported cases like this. There were a fair amount of similar issues reported by Windows phone users and smaller amount by Apple phone users. The investigation revealed two things; the majority of reported users had a case that facilitated or increased nominal static electricity. The second thing was an assumed high amount of statically charged particulates that created a capacitance connection at random points that started applications and digitizer anomalies.
    12-25-13 10:39 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD