If if leave my PB on standby, in its neoprene case, on standby, it will start up after a while on its own. It will load up a few programs randomly. Tonight at 3.30am, it loaded up a video. My wife gave me for waking her up. I gave myself for buying the playbook. It's not a disappointment it's actually a disaster. If I turn the PB fully off, then it won't start up on its own but it takes so long to start up, it's useless. Theate literally scores of things I don't like about this PB and I have had it exchanged by RIM, in case the hardware was faulty but basically, it's a tablet that's fundamentally flawed with a poor operating system and the harware is hampered by a multiplicity of inadequacies. (too small viewing area, no mouse wheel, as is on my blackberry torch etc etc). I just don't know how they got the PB so wrong bearing in mind their phones are so good. RIM have dropped the ball big time with the PB. I'm probably just going to sell it at a loss and let it become someone elses problem.
    05-30-12 01:58 PM
    If you had two PB's do the same thing I would look at your environment as the cause. Try storing the PB in a different location. May be some kind of issue like when you put the PB near a plasma TV and it goes wacky.
    I have never heard of anyone with this issue.
    05-30-12 02:08 PM
    I have seen it come out of standby by itself once. but if your not that happy with it see if you can sell it. and get an android or a ipad. there is no need for you to suffer
    05-30-12 02:20 PM
    I've never heard of that issue before but as you sound so completely unhappy with the PB in general, I agree that you should sell it and move on. It's not for everyone.
    05-30-12 02:23 PM
    mine has just started to do the same thing. it appears that it happens when i put it on a specific area of my desk...not kidding. does not seem to be anything noticably different about this area, but the touchscreen also is screwy when placed on this area of the desk. kind of like the bermuda triangle. weird. just can't put it down there....
    05-30-12 02:38 PM
    Here we go again, newbies with incredible "ghost" stories to tell; back door way of bashing the PlayBook if you ask me. They are getting more and more creative I have to admit, so much so that Rod Serling would be proud.
    05-30-12 02:38 PM
    If if leave my PB on standby, in its neoprene case, on standby, it will start up after a while on its own. It will load up a few programs randomly. Tonight at 3.30am, it loaded up a video. My wife gave me for waking her up. I gave myself for buying the playbook. It's not a disappointment it's actually a disaster. If I turn the PB fully off, then it won't start up on its own but it takes so long to start up, it's useless. Theate literally scores of things I don't like about this PB and I have had it exchanged by RIM, in case the hardware was faulty but basically, it's a tablet that's fundamentally flawed with a poor operating system and the harware is hampered by a multiplicity of inadequacies. (too small viewing area, no mouse wheel, as is on my blackberry torch etc etc). I just don't know how they got the PB so wrong bearing in mind their phones are so good. RIM have dropped the ball big time with the PB. I'm probably just going to sell it at a loss and let it become someone elses problem.
    PM me with a price. I may buy it and help you eliminate the stress it has caused for you.
    05-30-12 02:57 PM
    Is this for real? lol..
    05-30-12 03:22 PM
    So let me get this right....

blah blah blah....PB is acting screwy....blah blah blah PB sucks....blah blah blah....RIM dropped the ball....blah.....btw I use their phones so I'm NOT a hater...blah blah....

......right.

How about this. Since you just started posting.

Welcome to Crackberry friend, I hope you stay longer then to just do a drive by dumping.

Good day.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-30-12 03:28 PM
    I would recommend selling it and finding a tablet WITH a mouse wheel. Don't settle for less...
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-30-12 03:45 PM
    I don't agree with the ranting if your looking to solve a problem but it might be a good idea to let the OP explain before running them out of town. Its safe to assume the OP joined two years ago without the intent of bashing a product that didn't exist.

I have experienced the screwy behavior the OP speaks of, just never out of standby.
    05-30-12 03:56 PM
    Other electronics can effect the playbook in weird ways. If you are leaving it near a laptop, plasma TV, on top of some speakers, or other electronic devices, the electromagnetic field produced by this devices can create interference with the touch screen causing abnormalities. I have personally never experienced anything like what the OP described but I will give the benefit of doubt
    Last edited by Hgouck; 05-30-12 at 04:11 PM.
    05-30-12 04:05 PM
    Waking up on standby, OK, but it loads up a number of apps and starts movies by itself? I don't know how it would do that by itself unless you have some untested apps in there... but those don't run in the background (or shouldn't from my understanding). That sounds more like an environmental issue.

I am with the others though, it sounds like you didn't want this tablet in the first place, so sell it. I doubt you will find a better one if it is environmental, the viewing area is "too small", no mouse wheel, and waiting a few minutes for boots make it "useless". Sorry, but everything you dislike is it least on par with every other tablet. At best you could base finding a new tablet on the personal preference of you dislike of the OS.
    05-30-12 04:06 PM
    Touchscreens work by electrical current. If there's something using a large amount near the device, it could affect it. Is it near a monitor, TV or fan? Anything with a power module or converter plugged into the same receptacle as the PB charger?

And just for the record, the PB turns me on too... Ooops, TMI.
    05-30-12 04:15 PM
    Just wondering, is there a tablet that comes with a "mouse wheel"? Does kinda sound like the pb needs a priest and exorcism tho.
    05-30-12 04:44 PM
    Waking up on standby, OK, but it loads up a number of apps and starts movies by itself?
    Now that I think about it,my PB was waking up from standby.
    Back when I first got the PB I would take it off the charger and it would be locked up. The screen would show multiple apps open and overlapping each other. This happened 3-4 times until I walked by one day and saw the PB going nuts.
    In my case it was the location I was using to charge. It was the same pace I was using to charge all my other devices and I guess all the converters, outlets and wires weren't playing nice with the touchscreen.
    05-30-12 04:56 PM
    Err is demo mode turned off
    05-30-12 05:45 PM
    U need ghosthunters lol.
    05-30-12 05:50 PM
    Needs more then that...a Jesus moment might just do the trick.
    05-30-12 05:57 PM
    Quick... download a bible app...
    05-30-12 06:10 PM
    I have seen playbook do that kind of stuff, but it was plugged into a non-grounded outlet (along with another playbook and 2 phones sitting near by). OP if your playbook was plugged in, make sure that outlet is grounded properly. Also keep the device a little distance from other phones etc.
    05-30-12 07:38 PM
    It doesn't turn itself on if it is outside of the neoprene case. Really strange. Still doing it. BB tech support have no explanation. Can anyone help with a few other questions:
    Is there a file manager, such as in a PC, where files can be copied and shifted to different folders? When I'm downloading files, i can't go back to the browser, without canceling he download Page. Any workaround? People send me videos attached to emails. There are so many of them that won't play. I keep getting messages saying " unsupported format" any way round this problem?
    I would have liked to try the BB mini keyboard and convertible case but after three months, since it was released, there's still no stock. When will these become available?
    For the (few) kind people who were helpful with my original post, thank you. For the uncharitable ones who chose to be snide, unpleasant and childish (with tragically lame suggestions that I have ulterior motives), please reflect upon your horrible attitude. It becomes no one to turn on someone expressing frustration and making genuine cries for help. People like you are a disgrace on this user forum.
    Ian Rivlin
    06-24-12 06:37 AM
    There are a number of file managers that will allow you to move stuff around. Air Browser is free. Files&Files is paid and its developer is here and always answering questions. There are others including ghostcommander (android but in appworld).

Where does this auto-turn-on occur? In what environment? As mentioned, Plasma tv's have been known to trigger the screen and odd interactions. Those globes emulating lightning act similarly. I'm sure some other larger electric fields or ac adapters for other electronics could do it, too. If a second unit is doing it, it is something in your home/area. Is there a bb phone nearby being used as a remote?

I'm not sure what's happening with downloads - mine generally continue in the background and I can swipe down in the browser and tap Downloads to see what's what.

The videos have to match the specs of the pb. Mostly, it would be sound that is the limitation. Rim underestimated the keyboard demand. I think they can be seen in the Source in Canada when in stock. I'm not sure about elesewhere.
    06-24-12 08:47 AM
    The PB is about 2ft away from the (9810) phone which I usually leave on charge at night). I couldn't really put the PB anywhere else. To me it seems bizarre that the PB has to placed in a special spot. Imagine if a car had to be parked in a special spot to work properly. I know I have bagged the PB. This though was objective, not inflammatory. RIM dropped the ball on the PB. I believe they desperately wanted an iPad killer and pushed the PB through inchoate. I live in Australia, so things may be different here but large retailers tell me PBs are almost impossible to sell. There must be some reason for this.
    Ian
    06-24-12 04:52 PM
    The PB is about 2ft away from the (9810) phone which I usually leave on charge at night). I couldn't really put the PB anywhere else. To me it seems bizarre that the PB has to placed in a special spot. Imagine if a car had to be parked in a special spot to work properly. I know I have bagged the PB. This though was objective, not inflammatory. RIM dropped the ball on the PB. I believe they desperately wanted an iPad killer and pushed the PB through inchoate. I live in Australia, so things may be different here but large retailers tell me PBs are almost impossible to sell. There must be some reason for this.
    Ian
    Yes, blame RIM for the poor electrical work in your house. You should really be posting this rant on your shoddy electricians forum.
    Last edited by jwn66; 06-24-12 at 06:59 PM.
    06-24-12 06:56 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD