So my playbook sometimes randomly turns off without notice.. Sometimes I see the notifications, other times it doesn't show up. So one day I was recording a video and today I was playing a game and then all of a sudden, it says "Turning Off Playbook".
    I was a little bit frustrated and I knew that I had not run out of battery. When I turn it back on, I had 11% battery left. If it turned off by itself at like 5% battery, that's understandable. This is really weird and I'm trying to figure this out why it sometimes notifies me and other times doesn't and turns off randomly. Let me know! Thanks
    05-10-12 09:02 PM
    How new is your PlayBook? It's fairly common for the battery "% remaining" value to be miscalibrated initially, even in the first 10-20 recharge cycles.

If you do a full drain (which you've probably done) followed by a full recharge (right up to when the lightning bolt symbol is replaced by the plug symbol on the battery icon) then the OS may recalibrate the value a while later.

Some people, fairly few, have units that seem to be "stuck" permanently miscalibrated, so that they appear to shut off when there's still energy left in the battery, usually around 8-13%, but sometimes as high as 20% or so. There is no known solution for those people...

If you feel like checking into this in more detail, my app Battery Guru shows the actual voltage, along with recharge counts, battery "health", and power during use or charging. The voltage should range from 3.4V (effectively 0%) to 4.2V (100%), so as long as your battery travels over this full range, you are actually getting the full capacity, same as anyone else, even if the percentage indicator is lying to you.
    05-10-12 09:45 PM
    I also have my playbook randomly turning off. Before updating the new OS 2.1.0.1320, there's no problem with my playbook. After updating, things seem fine but then i standby my playbook at night with 70% battery, then the day after, my playbook auto shut down and i have to turn it up by pressing the power button, the battery juice is reduced not much. It happened after i upgrade the OS, and happened for about everyday when i standby for a long time, the playbook turn off automatically

Today, when i turn it on and use it for about 10 minutes, it turned off suddenly after the "turning off playbook" windows. It also turn off randomly after many attempt to turn it on and use it for minutes. Somebody please help me to fix problem, thanks.
    10-28-12 10:40 AM
    I also have my playbook randomly turning off. Before updating the new OS 2.1.0.1320, there's no problem with my playbook. After updating, things seem fine but then i standby my playbook at night with 70% battery, then the day after, my playbook auto shut down and i have to turn it up by pressing the power button, the battery juice is reduced not much. It happened after i upgrade the OS, and happened for about everyday when i standby for a long time, the playbook turn off automatically

Today, when i turn it on and use it for about 10 minutes, it turned off suddenly after the "turning off playbook" windows. It also turn off randomly after many attempt to turn it on and use it for minutes. Somebody please help me to fix problem, thanks.
    You can try the various restarts but it sounds more like a defect. You can also try Debrick to reload the OS. Finally, call Rim.

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    thethidie likes this.
    10-28-12 11:08 AM
    i thought it maybe caused by power button which is too flush with the edge of the tablet. Many time, i push it with a strong force, and i take times to go to the initial state. Maybe, just maybe, the power button is defected. Is it possible?
    10-29-12 09:52 AM
    Actually, the FLUSH power button is hard to press, so accidentally it would be even harder.

I guess you could test by trying to flex the case near the button. Also, tap it on a table with some pressure but NOT too much - could be a lose connector or bad solder point on a circuit board.
    10-29-12 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD