Does anybody have the Playbook and the Touchpad? I am curious what you think about each. I am tossing around the idea of one tablet for work/errands, and one for home use only. I currently have just the Playbook.
    07-18-11 12:26 AM
    touch pad is a piece of trash. period
    07-18-11 12:36 AM
    touch pad is a piece of trash. period
    Could you please expand on your feelings about the Touchpad?
    07-18-11 12:43 AM
    I tried it out in the store and it is nowhere as smooth and fluid as the playbook. In my opinion you would be really disappointed since it's a huge let down from even the playbooks standards. It doesn't even have a rear facing camera for god sakes!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    the.ak.hermit likes this.
    07-18-11 12:49 AM
    Could you please expand on your feelings about the Touchpad?
    i tried it out at bestbuy when it first came out.
    1.the build quality is plasticky and finger print all of the screen and the back cover(plastic)
    2.the UI etself is buggy.
    3.the screen clarity is washout.Playbook is too good to compare.
    4.heavy and bulky
    5.honestly only good things is the native application that comes with it like email,skype etc.
    6.no back camera.
    honestly get an ipad or samsung galaxy 10.1 if you want beside the PB
    the.ak.hermit likes this.
    07-18-11 12:52 AM
    I tried it out in the store and it is nowhere as smooth and fluid as the playbook. In my opinion you would be really disappointed since it's a huge let down from even the playbooks standards. It doesn't even have a rear facing camera for god sakes!

I was playing with the Acer tablet in costco, but the Touchpad was not on display, just one in a glass case. I am itching to get a second tablet. I don't want an ipad, and I am not convinced that another Playbook will be a good investment at this point. Basically, I want a tablet at home that doesn't have to be in a heavy case, and use a well protected one for work. I have the Otterbox on my Playbook, and it adds a little heft to it.

There does not seem to be any complete tablets on the market except the Ipad, and that is a shame.
    07-18-11 12:59 AM
    the Touchpad was not on display, just one in a glass case.
    Yeah I saw that too. Its a bad sign when they display a touchpad, but dont let you touch it.
    07-18-11 07:40 AM
    I own a Playbook (since day 1) and I picked up a Touchpad last week.

Lately I haven't been too happy with the Playbook, so I figured I'd give something else a go. I don't need an oversized iPod touch and I can't stand the way most Honeycomb devices default to mobile websites, so I figured the Touchpad was the way to go.

I was wrong. It is exactly as people here describe, laggy, buggy and a fingerprint magnet. The screen is not nearly bright enough even on the highest settings, and it doesn't currently play .avi videos. At least for the Playbook, there is a big opportunity for RIM to fix it through software updates. Sadly, for HP, that isn't the case.

I returned it after two days and would not even think for a second about buying one again. I will say though, that WebOS has MAJOR potential. It is a fantastic operating system, similar to QNX but maybe with a couple more options in it. The notification system is awesome, but it's just not enough to fix this thing.
    07-18-11 07:48 AM
    There's this comparison
    An unexpected Prizefight: TouchPad vs. PlayBook | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

And I read that HP is already planning to release a newer more powerful version later this year... unfortunately I can't find the link. Maybe it's the 3G version which will be given a performance boost.
    07-18-11 07:56 AM
    There's this comparison

And I read that HP is already planning to release a newer more powerful version later this year... unfortunately I can't find the link. Maybe it's the 3G version which will be given a performance boost.
    Yep, 1.5 ghz processor.

doug1010 likes this.
    07-18-11 08:05 AM

i got the oppurtunity to play with one at bestbuy.... to be brutally honest... even coming from a pb owner it felt the touchpad was way more sensitive (ipad-like sensitivity) than the playbook....

or that might jsut be because i have a screen protector on mine...... who knows.
    07-18-11 08:32 AM
    this review pretty much echoes the sentiment of this thread of those who used both: Should we now expect to pay $500+ to be tablet beta-testers? | 3D Tablet
    07-18-11 08:32 AM
    Over at Precentral, they are hailing the AnandTech review as the best TP review. I think they must have selective vision. In the conclusion, the review states:

"In its current state I don't believe the TouchPad is a good purchase..."
    It reads just like every other review, only longer.

Also hurting the TP, the Kindle app is still nothing but a placeholder. There is no ebook reader despite a recent promise that it would be out on the 17th. The movie app is the same. There is still no way to edit a document on this business focused device.

If I didn't know any better, I would think that RIM and HP were in a bar bet to see who's tablet could get away with the most missing features, missed deadlines, and broken promises. It is honestly difficult to say who is winning.
    07-18-11 08:39 AM
    I had the touchpad for about a week, love web OS: cards, notifications and the way it handles emails, but was not happy with the battery life and the occasional freezes, I returned it and got the iPad 2. I'll look into the touchpad later once they optimize and get the kinks out.
    07-18-11 08:47 AM
    There's this comparison

Some STELLAR scores in that Prizefight lol.
    07-18-11 08:48 AM
    I played with a TouchPad in Office Depot last week. I don't know if it was because other people had been toying with it but it wasn't that speedy.

I clicked on the mail icon and it took it a while to open. Same with some other apps. They need to optimize is a little better

Me personally I wouldn't get a PB & TP. To me they are too similar in looks & for the most part functionality but won't be sharing any of their apps.

If I was to get one the other device would be an iPad2 or an Android tablet.
    07-18-11 11:07 AM
    i got the oppurtunity to play with one at bestbuy.... to be brutally honest... even coming from a pb owner it felt the touchpad was way more sensitive (ipad-like sensitivity) than the playbook....

or that might jsut be because i have a screen protector on mine...... who knows.
    I think your screen protector may be your problem. I don't own a PB but have played with one for a good while and the TP was no where near as responsive IMO
    Last edited by Daps; 07-18-11 at 11:30 AM.
    07-18-11 11:20 AM
    It feels as though at any moment it will fall out of your hands
    07-18-11 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD