Hey guys,

my girlfriend just got a Playbook for Christmas, and I rather enjoy it. With all the discounts going on lately, is it worth getting one at this point in the game, or should I wait for a Playbook 2 (I don't even know if they are planning this)? If (and when) they release a second Playbook, will the current one become obsolete or will it get updated to a 2.0 version? Sorry if the questions are elementary, but I don't know much about this tablet and its state now and for the near future.

Thank you.
    01-02-12 04:25 PM
    Christmas prices are still in force, so well worth it. If you both have PB's you would be able to use the Video Chat too.
    I'm not sure what kind of games you need, so you would need to search those to see if you would want them.
    These PB's will be upgraded to the OS2.

Click on the link below my signature for tons of Tips and Tricks and information on the PB..

Hope this helps and Welcome to the forums!
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-02-12 at 04:33 PM.
    LatinoLoco24 and Spencerdl like this.
    01-02-12 04:29 PM
    I am not positive, but you may be able to search AppWorld's website for a list of games available for the PB.
    01-02-12 04:31 PM
    don't think you would be able to get it at this price for a pb2 (not official yet). os 2 is what you would be looking for and the current hardware can handle the upgrade.

take the plunge, a date with the gf costs that much
    LatinoLoco24 likes this.
    01-02-12 04:32 PM
    Buy one and join the Playbook nation. Otherwise your girlfriend will only have me to video chat with.
    01-02-12 04:38 PM
    Depends on what exactly you want it for or what Apps you require. If you can tell us that, we can give you a much better answer than just suggesting how you spend your money. =P
    LatinoLoco24 likes this.
    01-02-12 04:47 PM
    Buy one and join the Playbook nation. Otherwise your girlfriend will only have me to video chat with.
    Lol! That may be enough to convince me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-12 04:57 PM
    Depends on what exactly you want it for or what Apps you require. If you can tell us that, we can give you a much better answer than just suggesting how you spend your money. =P
    I guess I don't necessarily NEED it as much as I WANT it. I have a BB Torch and I like the whole idea of bridging and being able to BBM on a bigger screen (although it had a delay when I tried it on my gfs PB). I just love the size of it, browsing was mostly good and just the overall handle of it. I'm not a big gamer although I did download a couple off the appworld and spent some time playing around. Like I said, it's more of just another cool toy that I would like to have. But I was concerned that a new PB was on the horizon and the current one would not be able to sustain some newer updates. Obviously I wouldn't expect it to perform at the level of a PB2 (whenever that comes) but will this current one be upgraded to support native apps and android market apps(or was that a rumor?)

Thanks for all the tips, guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-12 05:02 PM
    I fully expect support for a few years even if there's a PB II; just like Apple does with their older line of toys.
    LatinoLoco24 likes this.
    01-02-12 05:05 PM
    Totally worth it! You have a BB so you can bridge and thus get internet on the go as well as wifi internet. Also the PB will be upgraded to v 2.0 software in feb.
    01-02-12 05:09 PM
    A Playbook 2 only exist in the realm of rumor. The current PB will automatically update to OS2 when it is officially released by RIM. If you really want one, now would be a great time to do it. I've seen some good deals on 32gb and 64gb.
    LatinoLoco24 likes this.
    01-02-12 05:45 PM
    There is always something better coming out "tomorrow", especially in the world of gadgets. The PlayBook is good enough now that it got me to buy my first item of BB kit, and after a few days of playing I can say I'm very happy with it. YMMV, but I say go for it :-)
    Spencerdl and LatinoLoco24 like this.
    01-02-12 05:48 PM
    Don't pay more than firesale prices, and make sure the Playbook works for you as it is now, as promises for the future may never be other than vaporware. The fact that you have a BB phone to bridge gives you an additional reason for getting the Playbook rather than something like the Fire.
    LatinoLoco24 likes this.
    01-02-12 05:50 PM
    Thanks guys! I have just ordered my 16GB online (that's good enough for me) thanks to your advice and reassurance that I will be able to update to a 2.0 once that is available. I'm excited!!!
    Lhendr and jafobabe like this.
    01-02-12 05:54 PM
    easy answer, go get one. dont bother waiting for playbook 2 as the current one has great hardware, screen, proper stereo speakers and on and on. later in life a better one might come but it will be at least another 18-24 months till we get hardware options that will be worth an update. at the sale prices why wait all that time for something a little bit better?

in the hardware we have right now we have a real gem of a unit and when os 2 is done and more apps and devs get in board it will only get better.
    LatinoLoco24 likes this.
    01-02-12 05:56 PM
    For the record it was the $199 off of the best buy website here in Canada. Yay!
    01-02-12 06:10 PM
    Thanks guys! I have just ordered my 16GB online (that's good enough for me) thanks to your advice and reassurance that I will be able to update to a 2.0 once that is available. I'm excited!!!
    Hey Guys

I am totally taking credit for this. Just the mere thought of me video chatting with his girlfriend got him going!

Congrats on the purchase. I haven't put mine down since April.
    Lhendr, LatinoLoco24 and jafobabe like this.
    01-02-12 06:12 PM
    Yay!!!! Glad you have decided to get one.... Don't be a stranger on the forums!
    Cya out there.
    LatinoLoco24 likes this.
    01-02-12 06:16 PM
    Hey Guys

I am totally taking credit for this. Just the mere thought of me video chatting with his girlfriend got him going!

total credit and a lot of chuckles... good work robtanz!
    01-02-12 06:16 PM
    Hey Guys

Gotcha written down the that!! Well done..
    01-02-12 06:17 PM
    Hey Guys

You know, I was hoping you hadn't ventured back in the thread, but yes, that was the ultimate persuasion. LOL

By the way, is the video chat a free app? How does it function? I mean, is it like Skype? Smooth and responsive in use?

Thanks everyone!
    01-02-12 06:17 PM
    Yes it's a native app on the screen when you fire it up and get it running... runs smooth with a good wifi connection.
    01-02-12 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD