Is there any way to keep the time from changing on my homescreen? It was OK for a while now it keeps changing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    03-02-12 10:01 AM
    Is there any way to keep the time from changing on my homescreen? It was OK for a while now it keeps changing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    It is the nature of time to be constantly changing. But I don't think that is what you meant. Could you be more specific about the behaviour that you are concerned about?
    peter9477 and tumblingdice03 like this.
    03-02-12 10:06 AM
    Every minute that goes by, my time changes. Can you be more specific?
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-02-12 10:10 AM
    My timezone keeps changing.
    03-02-12 10:58 AM
    I don't know if this would help but in Gear/Options, under Date/Time there is a "set date and time automatically" and it can be ON or OFF. I have no idea what "automatically" means? You could play with OFF and see if that stops the problem.
    pelletizer likes this.
    03-02-12 11:40 AM
    Are you near a black hole?
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-02-12 11:45 AM
    Maybe the OP is on a trans-continental flight from NY to Tokyo.
    03-02-12 11:46 AM
    I don't know if this would help but in Gear/Options, under Date/Time there is a "set date and time automatically" and it can be ON or OFF. I have no idea what "automatically" means? You could play with OFF and see if that stops the problem.
    FYI, that feature enables a background service which uses NTP (Network Time Protocol) to communicate with a pair of RIM "time servers" which are themselves synchronized back to the NIST atomic clock. Every four hours, when connected to the network, your PlayBook will engage in a small exchange of data with the server whereby they report various time delays to each other in a procedure which ends with your PlayBook's time being set very close to the time on the server (i.e. it accounts for network delays and such). In theory, this keeps your PlayBook clock within a few seconds of standard time at any point during the day.

For some more background, those interested may find this thread amusing. It's got quite a "peanut gallery" of yokels chiming to keep us entertained. Playbook has 1-second NTP calculation error - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    pelletizer likes this.
    03-02-12 11:59 AM
    FYI, that feature enables a background service which uses NTP (Network Time Protocol) to communicate with a pair of RIM "time servers" which are themselves synchronized back to the NIST atomic clock. Every four hours, when connected to the network, your PlayBook will engage in a small exchange of data with the server whereby they report various time delays to each other in a procedure which ends with your PlayBook's time being set very close to the time on the server (i.e. it accounts for network delays and such). In theory, this keeps your PlayBook clock within a few seconds of standard time at any point during the day.

For some more background, those interested may find this thread amusing. It's got quite a "peanut gallery" of yokels chiming to keep us entertained. Playbook has 1-second NTP calculation error - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

That's not very good; I'd prefer they use the CsF2 cesium based atomic clock which is accurate to gaining or losing one second every 138 million years.
    03-02-12 12:04 PM
    That's not very good; I'd prefer they use the CsF2 cesium based atomic clock which is accurate to gaining or losing one second every 138 million years.
    See above under "peanut gallery", or "yokels". ;-) ;-)

Oh, and it appears NIST is still using good "old" F1, which is 100 million years, so ultimately that's what you can trace your PlayBook's time back to, obviously with some degree of error added.

Now, when the NIST switches to F2 (another local yokel ;-) ) all bets are off.
    Last edited by peter9477; 03-02-12 at 12:10 PM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-02-12 12:07 PM
    I thought the NIST atomic clock *was* a cesium-decay clock, located in Boulder.
    03-02-12 12:15 PM
    I thought the NIST atomic clock *was* a cesium-decay clock, located in Boulder.
    Nope, this one's in the UK's National Physical Laboratory.
    03-02-12 12:23 PM
    Maybe they both have an "F2", but NIST's new F2 is apparently just "down the hall" from the current F1, in Boulder
    03-02-12 01:47 PM
    Let's get real here! Has anyone had time to figure out why the OP's timezone keeps changing? Or why time slows down when I'm waiting for a bus on a cold day?
    03-02-12 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD