OK...Like everyone else I was expecting, or rather hoping, for a major, world changing, life altering update to the Playbook OS this week. We didn't get it...What did we get...
    The way I see it is we got a Beta OS that in my humble opinion is still better than what we had...we have been given some hope....we got some cool demos on stage at devcon on day 1. Is it worth all the complaining that I've seen on the forums here? Not for me to decide but it sure has been entertaining reading

I just have one question...

Why doesn't RIM come out and say, "We kinda screwed up...Here is the release date for the new OS that will have the working android player and native app support..." Then....even if the date is a year from now...wouldn't that be better than allowing all your customers to speculate and get frustrated??? Someone over there needs to take a refresher course in Customer Service.

Just my 2 cents

B
    10-20-11 10:26 AM
    Your 2 cents are appreciated....... only hope RIM gets this into their heads !!
    Welcome to CB
    10-20-11 10:29 AM
    its too hard to admit. it's way easier to kick the can and just ride along another excuses, on top of another excuses. or just jump and leapfrog the whole mess and create another excuses.
    10-20-11 10:34 AM
    I like what Microsoft did with their Windows Phone 7. They admitted out of the gate that they knew they weren't going to be a game changer right away. And they didn't expect to be the "iPhone killer". They said it was going to take a lot of time, and they were in it for the long haul. Remember how they got killed for not having copy/paste? Even though the iPhone didn't have copy/past until 1+ years later?

Microsoft is now gaining momentum. Their app catalog has been growing since day 1, even with the lack of exposed API's developers could use. They are gaining momentum. But the initial expectation was low because they said not to expect much right away.

I think RIM should have taken this same approach. Unless they really thought they would have an update out in 60 days, and totally underestimated the worked needed to get it done. Or, they have a really poor, untalented developer team that just can't get the job done.
    10-20-11 10:51 AM
    just change the name. WORKBOOK. no more playin' this time. playbook doesn't work and it will never finished. all hail Blackberry WORKBOOK ! amateur hour is over! its WORK time now! get emails, pim, msoffice suits, bigger screen, and 4G connectivity.
    10-20-11 11:08 AM
    cuz if they did that, the stock price would crash...even more!
    10-20-11 11:27 AM
    cuz if they did that, the stock price would crash...even more!
    i agree completely. Keep the users/developers/shareholders guessing with the Day 1 show and tell. I especially liked Mike L's faux surprise over every developers announcement. He must of practiced that for days!

On he other hand, maybe RIM does not think being specific about he OS2 release date is a priority. If that is the case, I think a few straight-jackets and rubber rooms are required.
    10-20-11 12:14 PM
    personally I'm pretty glad the put out a beta version first of OS2. I'm really in no hurry, I would just a well have a bunch of people run it through it's paces and get the bugs out before Iput it on my pb.

As far as RIM saying they screwed up, I'm pretty sure that RIM doesn't think they did. Sure there are issues, and room for improvement., but still a pretty decent tablet. Things are getting better, more apps are showing up everyday.

I think the problem is these days is everyone wants instant gratification, no one wants to wait for anything. I hear people complain about things taking almost a second for this damn thing start. Stop and smell the roses people, time passes fast enough.
    10-20-11 12:55 PM
    because I don't think EVEN they know when it is going to be launched. If they had anything concrete they would have announced it at DevCon.
    10-20-11 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD