Don't know if this is new or not but i emailed Telus asking about tethering fees and they replied:

"We do not charge any additional tethering fees on top of your data plan; tethering will just use up the same data bucket that your handset runs off of."
    03-29-11 11:43 PM
    If that is true, then good on them... But, I know that whenever I connect my laptop to my blackberry and use it as a modem, I get charged unless i'm hooked up with Tether.

I've had tethering charges added onto my invoice all the time.

What kind of plan do you have? I have an unlimited data plan with Telus yet they still charge me for tethering.
    03-29-11 11:47 PM
    Don't know if this is new or not but i emailed Telus asking about tethering fees and they replied:

"We do not charge any additional tethering fees on top of your data plan; tethering will just use up the same data bucket that your handset runs off of."
    That's great news
    03-30-11 12:32 AM
    I have an unlimited data plan with Telus yet they still charge me for tethering.
    I would imagine that being you're grandfathered on your unlimited data plan, and they never promised tethering included with that plan.

All of Telus' current plans include tethering.

It's pretty rare for any unlimited plan to include tethering ... data use on a mobile alone is going to stay fairly low, but if you start using it as your modem and your primary way to connect, then data use could sky-rocket.
    03-30-11 05:30 AM
    Rogers doesn't charge for tethering either.

Last year I used to tether my Torch to my laptop and a line would show up on my invoice for the month 'Tethering Fee: $0'
    03-30-11 06:08 AM
    I was just told the same from Bell, too... no tethering fees. I am just going to increase my data plan.
    03-30-11 06:23 AM
    Rogers doesn't charge for tethering either.
    Clarification: Rogers doesn't charge for tethering if you have a 1GB data plan or higher.
    03-30-11 06:36 AM
    Clarification: Rogers doesn't charge for tethering if you have a 1GB data plan or higher.
    Nice one - I have a 1GB plan.

But Rogers also doesn't allow tethering for any devices on plans less than 1 GB data, right?

I remember last year my brother's iPhone couldn't tether because he had a 500 MB plan.
    03-30-11 07:02 AM
    I've read that they wont let you tether is you have less then 1GB. Hopefully they will either change that for the playbook, or just not block it
    03-30-11 07:05 AM
    Yes if you have 1GB+ there is no tethering fee on Rogers. BUT you can use the Rogers DATA share (using the 3G Playbook) for $10 a month per device. So I have the 6GB Iphone/blackberry data plan for $30 and I tether like crazy but if I get a tablet, I can pay $10 a month to use my 6gb on the tablet. But in the case of playbook first only coming out in Wifi, dont need that option, only for the 3G model
    03-30-11 07:10 AM

Too bad all carriers don't do this but instead they want to take more of your money for something we all ready pay for. Is it that much different on cell system from cable or wireless internet? All of those around me anyway don't have any data limits or charge you more because you have 3 computers hooked up instead of only one.
    03-30-11 07:11 AM
    I think in Canada, all the carriers includes tethering in their current data plans. I always find it hard to believe we're ahead of the US on this one, considering how we're screwed in every other way possible.
    Having said that, if you're in Canada and within coverage zone of either Wind or Mobilicity, going with one the new carriers is a no brainer. I'm paying a $35/month fully unlimited plan (unlimited talk and text, unlimited US/Canadian LD), including unlimited data with tethering included.
    03-30-11 07:50 AM
    Yeah, can't wait to see what carriers like Verizon will do.

Not budgeted for a playbook right now, but "free" tethering without an app like Tether would be huuuge.
    03-30-11 08:03 AM
    Bell Canada even allows tethering with 500MB plan unlike Rogers. I contacted them to make sure. I suspect I will bump my plan to 1GB anyways.
    03-30-11 08:23 AM
    I think in Canada, all the carriers includes tethering in their current data plans. I always find it hard to believe we're ahead of the US on this one, considering how we're screwed in every other way possible.
    Having said that, if you're in Canada and within coverage zone of either Wind or Mobilicity, going with one the new carriers is a no brainer. I'm paying a $35/month fully unlimited plan (unlimited talk and text, unlimited US/Canadian LD), including unlimited data with tethering included.
    Wow that would be a great plan to have............... not happening here though I'm sure. We are on our way to tiered plans which suck too.
    03-30-11 08:24 AM
    Can someone tell me if 1 GB family plan through Rogers would qualify for the free tethering? Because that's the data plan I currently have. Thanks.
    03-30-11 08:36 AM
    Can someone tell me if 1 GB family plan through Rogers would qualify for the free tethering? Because that's the data plan I currently have. Thanks.
    Nope, you need to have 1 device that has access to 1GB of data. Not shared on a family plan.
    03-30-11 09:02 AM
    Nice one - I have a 1GB plan.

But Rogers also doesn't allow tethering for any devices on plans less than 1 GB data, right?

I remember last year my brother's iPhone couldn't tether because he had a 500 MB plan.
    I'm on a 500 mb plan on Rogers and have tether frequently (though not intensively) and have never had any problem
    03-30-11 11:03 AM
    I would imagine that being you're grandfathered on your unlimited data plan, and they never promised tethering included with that plan.

All of Telus' current plans include tethering.

It's pretty rare for any unlimited plan to include tethering ... data use on a mobile alone is going to stay fairly low, but if you start using it as your modem and your primary way to connect, then data use could sky-rocket.
    I didn't even think about that. I should probably call them and tell them that I need to have tethering included.

This is very good news. I always thought that Tethering was charged for. So, Tether, is actually a useless program if Telus does allow me to have Tethering.
    03-30-11 11:04 AM
    US carriers rob and steal. If I have a 1GB plan yet only use 600mb avg each month and me tethering brings that up to lets say 850mb per month. They still want to charge me an additional $20 per month when I haven't even reached my 1GB cap yet. They act as if tethering is special data and they need special equipment to handle it. Hey at&t, it's all the same data coming from the same device. How about you refund me for the data I don't use every month? How about "rollover data".
    03-30-11 03:07 PM
    US carriers rob and steal.
    For data yes but I am thankful we don't have Canada's ridiculous phone subsidizing pricing.
    03-30-11 03:21 PM
    This is great!
    If it's true...
    03-30-11 03:57 PM
    Yes if you have 1GB+ there is no tethering fee on Rogers. BUT you can use the Rogers DATA share (using the 3G Playbook) for $10 a month per device. So I have the 6GB Iphone/blackberry data plan for $30 and I tether like crazy but if I get a tablet, I can pay $10 a month to use my 6gb on the tablet. But in the case of playbook first only coming out in Wifi, dont need that option, only for the 3G model
    if tethering is free because you have a 6GB plan then why pay the $10 for the data sharing plan? sorry you confused me lol
    03-30-11 04:08 PM
    For data yes but I am thankful we don't have Canada's ridiculous phone subsidizing pricing.
    All BlackBerrys are $0 with a 3 year term on Telus.
    03-30-11 04:14 PM
    I just got a bump up with data. I was at 500mb and for 5 bucks I added another 500mb. I’m with Rogers so based on this I can use tethering for free. I don’t and probably won’t tether a lot anyways on my Playbook.
    03-30-11 04:16 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD