In re-reading this thread and particularly the OP's lengthy re-statement of his conversation with the PlayBook support rep, I don't think that the end of support for current PlayBook OSs means that there were no plans to revisit BB10 for the PlayBook. It certainly makes good business sense to support fewer OSs and to do so by putting a single OS on as many existing devices as is technically feasible. It even makes sense that if the intent is to release a BB10 "lite" for the PlayBook in October or November (current six-month update cycle), then support for older OSs can indeed end now.

John Chen has certainly worked hard to bring change and to reach out to existing high margin government and business customers. He is also paying attention to the developing world with plans for a low end phone to be manufactured by a partner. What has not changed is the opaque nature of plans for existing devices and I see no good business reason for doing this. Releasing information on end of support for existing Playbook OSs on some obscure website is definitely not the way to go if the intent is to eventually release BB10 for the PlayBook.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    04-01-14 09:00 AM
    Some people just won't take no for an answer lol
    04-01-14 09:04 AM
    depends on how you look at it, 2.0 and 2.1 support ended, maybe because they've finished the update and when 2.3 turns up that will be ended as well as soon as it is released out there.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    04-01-14 09:06 AM
    depends on how you look at it, 2.0 and 2.1 support ended, maybe because they've finished the update and when 2.3 turns up that will be ended as well as soon as it is released out there.

Wish in one hand and crap in the other. Bet I know which ones fills up first.
    Cynycl and MADBRADNYC like this.
    04-01-14 09:14 AM
    Kevin just posted an article stating 'that's it' for Playbook unfortunately... quoting communications with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    04-01-14 09:52 AM
    Hmmm. Did you read the quote from the blog post that I quoted? Here it is again...
    Update: So it sounds like today's PlayBook update was a single purpose update. In other words, that's it PlayBook fans. There shall be no BB10 on PlayBook, nor will there be an update to OS 2.2.
    So this mean that this is exactly what he said it was-A single purpose update.
    Even if BlackBerry would want to continue on with development, why would you believe they would just skip right over 2.2 and go straight to 2.3?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-01-14 10:08 AM
    People forget that we were all already told a long time ago that there would be no BB10 update. People here let themselves get all worked up about a baseless rumor. That is our fault, not BlackBerry's.

This company continues to lose hundreds of millions of dollars each quarter but people here think that it should devote resources to a three year old failure of a device. Reality check.

I would like BB10 on PlayBook as much as anyone but it's not going to happen.
    Will somebody... Anybody... Please listen to the man that lays down the law! LoL
    Maybe one day we get a new tablet. That is the most we can hope for.
    Hope springs eternal, but I truly doubt it.
    I only need to get burned once at the stove-top to know not to touch it again.
    When you speak of users believing in rumors, I cannot/will not go through the repeated highs and lows of the first PB fiasco.
    Many others that love BlackBerry feel the same. The roller coaster ride is just too much! I feel sick!
    04-01-14 10:19 AM
    Two words spring to mind: 'not' and 'happening'.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and MADBRADNYC like this.
    04-01-14 11:24 AM
    If they have dropped Blackberry's only tablet like this the phones could be next...in a year or two. we keep hearing from the BB10 users that it's a 3 year old tablet not making money...well the BB10 phones are not making money...look out!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    04-01-14 11:47 AM
    If they have dropped Blackberry's only tablet like this the phones could be next...in a year or two. we keep hearing from the BB10 users that it's a 3 year old tablet not making money...well the BB10 phones are not making money...look out!

True, except the phones are still being made where they haven't made a tablet in over 3 years. But you're right it can happen with the phones too but if that happens bbry is dead anyway.
    04-01-14 11:51 AM
    True, except the phones are still being made where they haven't made a tablet in over 3 years. But you're right it can happen with the phones too but if that happens bbry is dead anyway.
    The PlayBook was still being made..what 18 months ago?..with the new 3g and 4g models also being marketed...very similar situation with BB10 now...write down of stock. Price reductions etc...just saying.

04-01-14 12:00 PM
    Bull**** they've ran BB10 on 1 gig devices before... software can be optimized... so bull ****.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Suit yourself, have it your way. But fact remains. NO BB10 on PB1.

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    04-01-14 12:05 PM
    The PlayBook was still being made..what 18 months ago?..with the new 3g and 4g models also being marketed...very similar situation with BB10 now...write down of stock. Price reductions etc...just saying.

I'd be surprised if pbls were still being made a year ago. They had warehouses full of them.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    04-01-14 12:11 PM

If BB10 doesn't improve in sales that may be the case, but we don't need to 'look out'- this is the mobile device market, where product life cycles are generally only a couple of years at best. PlayBook was 3 before support ceased. So what if BlackBerry eventually ditch BB10? Life goes on. Buy an alternative device.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-01-14 12:11 PM
    Kevin just posted an article stating 'that's it' for Playbook unfortunately... quoting communications with BlackBerry.
    Where did he quote communications with Blackberry ? The only source for info that I can see listed is this forum.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-01-14 12:19 PM
    Where did he quote communications with Blackberry ? The only source for info that I can see listed is this forum.
    If you look at the main page article for this situation Kevin clearly stated...
    We shot out a note to BlackBerry to see if they can shed more light on the situation. We'll let you know if we find out anything more.
    Then he provided the update to his post that I have posted here at least twice. Check the main page blog.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 12:50 PM
    04-01-14 12:52 PM
    Suit yourself, have it your way. But fact remains. NO BB10 on PB1.

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    Yes I'll have it my way... I study this field...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-01-14 01:06 PM
    If you look at the main page article for this situation Kevin clearly stated...

Then he provided the update to his post that I have posted here at least twice. Check the main page blog.
    OK. So, like I said, he never actually said that his information was coming from Blackberry. You simply inferred that it was.
    04-01-14 01:10 PM
    OK. So, like I said, he never actually said that his information was coming from Blackberry. You simply inferred that it was.
    IDK. If he says he sent word to BlackBerry and will advise us when he gets word from them, then updates his post with that info, well.......

You make your own choice.....

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-01-14 01:14 PM
    John Chen made it very clear BlackBerry Tablet OS 2 development is finished. There will not be BlackBerry Tablet OS 3 nor BlackBerry OS 10 for BlackBerry PlayBook. We've been led down the garden path since its release on April 19, 2011, and a succession of four chief executive officers. DAMNIT!
    MADBRADNYC and kbz1960 like this.
    04-01-14 01:17 PM
    IDK. If he says he sent word to BlackBerry and will advise us when he gets word from them, then updates his post with that info, well.......

You make your own choice.....

Posted via CB10
    It's all about having faith.

Kevin went upon the mount, spoke to the burning blackberry bush and came back with his stone tablet detailing the Rimberry commandments.

1. Thou shall get no more playbook updates.
    2. Thou shalt have no other phones but Blackberries.
    3. Thou shalt purchase every piece of half baked tech we can whip together and be thee thankful.

I know there were a couple more but I quit paying attention after number 1
    Last edited by Cynycl; 04-01-14 at 03:20 PM.
    kbz1960, lnichols and qwerty4ever like this.
    04-01-14 01:22 PM
    John Chen made it very clear BlackBerry Tablet OS 2 development is finished. There will not be BlackBerry Tablet OS 3 nor BlackBerry OS 10 for BlackBerry PlayBook. We've been led down the garden path since its release on April 19, 2011, and a succession of four chief executive officers. DAMNIT!
    When did Chen say that ? I haven't heard a word from him about the PB.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Enyigma and anon(5597702) like this.
    04-01-14 02:37 PM
    John Chen has spoken about QNX and the importance of maintaining BlackBerry's lead inn that space and the farming out of device manufacturing. He affirmed R&D remains in Waterloo even though most property there has been sold. That's it.
    04-01-14 02:51 PM
    Yes I'll have it my way... I study this field...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    do you also run at a brick wall head 1st, lol
    all3n7 likes this.
    04-01-14 03:26 PM
512 ... 1718192021