It's the final nail in the coffin for 2.0/2.1 being supported on the PlayBook...

It *could* mean a newer version is coming in April - and that is why those versions will be retired from support. Or... more than likely, 2.1 is the last OS on the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    This made me hold out a little bit. Haha

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:03 PM
    That was the last patch. PlayBook OS 2.0 and 2.1 sales and support ended April 2014. Software Support Life Cycle - US (Go to the BlackBerry OS tab)

I think this puts the nail in the coffin for any BB10 talk.
    I know this is about the PlayBook, but this just struck me as plain odd and funny
    Windows Live Messenger was still supported to this month

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:08 PM
    I think Chen needs speak on this. Let us know once and for all what the deal is here cause these mixed signals aren't good for Blackberry. If the PlayBook is dead then so be it so we can move on with our lives and be done with it. Or if there really is a BB10 lite in route. I have three PlayBook myself and feel that it's time for Blackberry with its new management to clear this air already.

Posted via CB10
    ralfyguy and gunnerfitzy like this.
    03-31-14 09:31 PM
    I know this is about the PlayBook, but this just struck me as plain odd and funny
    Windows Live Messenger was still supported to this month

Posted via CB10
    I think China kept it around for a year or so after everyone else, guess that went away too.
    eldricho likes this.
    03-31-14 10:05 PM
    I think China kept it around for a year or so after everyone else, guess that went away too.
    Ah! That explains it then

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 10:07 PM
    John Chen just murdered the PlayBook. Time of death: April 2014.

I used my almighty Z30 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    03-31-14 10:13 PM
    Was that always posted ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Hey, I told you so "NO! BB10 for PB1 " it can't be done..

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    03-31-14 10:32 PM
    That's it folks!

/thread

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 11:12 PM
    Hey, I told you so "NO! BB10 for PB1 " it can't be done..

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    Bull**** they've ran BB10 on 1 gig devices before... software can be optimized... so bull ****.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-31-14 11:18 PM
    Bull**** they've ran BB10 on 1 gig devices before... software can be optimized... so bull ****.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Maybe they need to hire you because they don't seem to be doing it on their own
    03-31-14 11:33 PM
    BB10 better come or else... PB sales were inticed on it from a CEO. In most even developing countries enticing sales by fraudulent means is a criminal offence under a good few different Acts of legislation in each country, the cave age was hundreds upon hundred years ago its no longer fight of the fittest but the most intelligent.
    Or else what? You're going to launch a class action lawsuit ? Lol. It's not news or a surprise that BB10 isn't coming to the Playbook. Have fun with that.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 11:39 PM
    Maybe they need to hire you because they don't seem to be doing it on their own
    A summer job to get BB10 on PB? Why not... there's so much bad code that over 70% of code written in C++ have memory leaks... not that the PlayBook as this issue but... when people say it can't be done and knowing how much memory can be trimmed to fit it on BB10... it can be done... just by removing non essentials that you expect a tablet to not have you could save 500MB of memory... have the bridge bring the rest...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-31-14 11:44 PM
    Wow! I guess that's it then... Very sad.
    Update: So it sounds like today's PlayBook update was a single purpose update. In other words, that's it PlayBook fans. There shall be no BB10 on PlayBook, nor will there be an update to OS 2.2.
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS support officially ends this April | CrackBerry.com
    04-01-14 12:56 AM
    And yet BBOS 7 will still have support.....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    meltbox360 likes this.
    04-01-14 12:57 AM
    They could've done it. The reason we got was a lie and that should be obvious. Perhaps it was in the best interest of the company but they could have spared us the lie. I suppose it makes them look better though... not that it makes it okay. Makes them look worse to me.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 01:07 AM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Because its not about trying to do what you said you would. It's about pissing of the least amount of people. It's just they chose the wrong part of their consumer base to **** off. Yea I'm still bitter, sue me. I'll probably forever be bitter about it.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 01:09 AM
    Yep. But Dave... No matter what decision is made by BlackBerry, there will always be the people who justify it. Anything.
    For me this even rules out a future iteration such a a PB2 or whatever they want to call it.
    It will surely be a flop, and another big loss.
    After all of the initial promises for the current iteration that were backtracked, no one in their right mind would dare chance getting another new iteration. It will be DOA.
    Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me...
    And when it fails, there will still be some who say... "That's fine because........"

I actually believe this latest update was sitting on the shelf somewhere and they decided to toss it out there just to get rid of it and get a last cheer from diehards.

I'm very sad about this....
    kbz1960 and meltbox360 like this.
    04-01-14 01:15 AM
    Yep. But Dave... No matter what decision is made by BlackBerry, there will always be the people who justify it. Anything.
    For me this even rules out a future iteration such a a PB2 or whatever they want to call it.
    It will surely be a flop, and another big loss.
    After all of the initial promises for the current iteration that were backtracked, no one in their right mind would dare chance getting another new iteration. It will be DOA.
    Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me...
    And when it fails, there will still be some who say... "That's fine because........"

I actually believe this latest update was sitting on the shelf somewhere and they decided to toss it out there just to get rid of it and get a last cheer from diehards.

I'm very sad about this....
    Thank you for this.

It seems like they're just simply limiting their potential customers more and more. I'm a playbook owner who never bought this 'BB10 coming soon' momentum, but some folks feel duped and cheated out of their purchase... atleast to a certain viable degree. If they ever release a PB2, there would already be some pretty bad blood between these customers, and it'll take a real die-hard to actually bother getting this.

I'd rather they focus on BB10 handsets now, because no matter how you slice it, they absolutely killed and buried their chance as a credible tablet maker.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 01:24 AM
    Hi I was using a bold bought a PlayBook so all syncd worked quite well apart from the calender then upgraded to z10 well to think they would work together is the biggest *** umption ever made help

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 01:40 AM
    Was that always posted ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Not as of a week ago when someone in another thread had posted the link and commented that there was only a mention of end of support for PlayBook OS 1.0 in 2013. There was nothing about OS 2.0 and 2.1 in the table at the time.

The short time-line between "announcement" and end of support fits in well with John Chen's rapid pace of change in the company. What is not core to the business is dropped quickly with little or no notice.
    04-01-14 05:41 AM
    Not as of a week ago when someone in another thread had posted the link and commented that there was only a mention of end of support for PlayBook OS 1.0 in 2013. There was nothing about OS 2.0 and 2.1 in the table at the time.

The short time-line between "announcement" and end of support fits in well with John Chen's rapid pace of change in the company. What is not core to the business is dropped quickly with little or no notice.
    Little or no notice by whom? The people who early adopted the PlayBook were some of BlackBerry's biggest fans. Were told that they would get frequent updates and run the new phone OS. Sales weren't great, but that was BlackBerry's fault for not delivering what they promised. So they out then on fire sale and told everyone that it would get BB10 to move units, then created a second group of people that were sold a false bill of goods. Horrible way to run a business and treat your customers.

BlackBerry, John Chen, you need to do something for the customers who bought the PlayBook. A Z30 trade-in and/or exchange promotion, or something. Especially the early adopters, and you know who they are based on BlackBerry ID. I know it wasn't you Chen who created the problem, but do you want to just leave things like this, or at least make it look like the company cares about the customers?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 06:31 AM
    Oooooooh snap!

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 07:28 AM
    So because BB10 couldn't make it to PlayBook doesn't mean they had to stop supporting the PlayBook altogether. They should have at least given us sharing features like BB10 all across the OS and full bridge support. A better file management app like the one on BB10. These things could have been implemented and the tablet would have been well rounded not this half baked OS. Maybe if they listen to some of the people in the forums and given the PlayBook features like I've listed above, they would have been able to sell those tablets that are now sitting somewhere in the batcave collecting dust. There is no excuse in leaving the PlayBook in its current state. I believe a true BlackBerry enthusiasts would have made these decisions and give the audience a compelling product. These so called business men don't know the meaning of what a tablet should be let alone run a company. Don't believe me? Look at the stocks that now keep plunging.

PlayBook support said BB10 coming to PlayBook in few weeks or months-img_20140331_235329.png

You may find this ridiculous but they should have let Kevin run BlackBerry. At least he would have made sure the audience was heard. And I truly believe that blackberry would have been in a better state than it is today.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 07:33 AM
    People forget that we were all already told a long time ago that there would be no BB10 update. People here let themselves get all worked up about a baseless rumor. That is our fault, not BlackBerry's.

This company continues to lose hundreds of millions of dollars each quarter but people here think that it should devote resources to a three year old failure of a device. Reality check.

I would like BB10 on PlayBook as much as anyone but it's not going to happen. Maybe one day we get a new tablet. That is the most we can hope for.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and MADBRADNYC like this.
    04-01-14 07:37 AM
    Well, I'd just like to have BBRY just say the PB is EOL and be done with it. I don't think I've ever seen that. I doubt that a BB10-like OS would be called OS 2.1.XXXX anyway. So, yes, OS 2.1 support can be discontinued...if they are working on something else?

Just seems like a comedy of errors for this company. Z30's are out of stock and they are ramping up production of Bolds?
    04-01-14 08:47 AM
512 ... 1617181920 ...