.... and then this...

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le.../#post10156393

LMAO !!! Thanks Bla1ze!!!

Posted via CB10
    Nope...It's just Chuck Testa. These config files lines have been found in previous releases. It may be for transalation of Hub, or it may just be leftover code that is being updated with Find/Replace. I have no faith that 10.3 will come to PB, minor security updates and bridge integration fixes only.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-24-14 10:22 AM
    The only good update for a PB would be a drastic one, like an actual BB10 OS. Simply updating the runtime means the PB wil simply continue to be what it already is. A QNX tablet with low specs that allows you to run Jellybean apps now. In which case you might as well just get a Nexus 7 or Gpad 8
    03-24-14 05:15 PM
    The only good update for a PB would be a drastic one, like an actual BB10 OS. Simply updating the runtime means the PB wil simply continue to be what it already is. A QNX tablet with low specs that allows you to run Jellybean apps now. In which case you might as well just get a Nexus 7 or Gpad 8
    Except that the current runtime supports only a *very* limited set of features. Forget about native code. No emulators run on it. GTA won't run. Candy Crush won't run. Netflix won't run. Even BlackBerry's own Android BBM app cannot run on it.

Update that runtime and you could gain access to a ton of apps that currently do not work on the existing OS, and include the android version of BBM as part of the OS update as the code has already been written.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 06:19 PM
    I get it, I'm just saying why bother when you could just get one of the more recent tablets for very little cost
    03-24-14 06:22 PM
    I get it, I'm just saying why bother when you could just get one of the more recent tablets for very little cost
    Your BlackBerry World purchases don't count on those new Android tablets. Say goodbye to your paid apps, or the money to repurchase. That's a hidden cost. I've got over 100 games on my 64GB unit alone, and not all were $0.99.

I hate the way Android flows. It just feels clunky and dated, relying too much on things more suited to reactive touch screens and mice.

The HP 1800 that I purchased in November gives me a couple hours at best before it's dead. My PlayBook stays up for days. I've left one turned on in a closet by mistake for over a week and found it still with a decent charge.

The HP 1800's screen and speaker are... present. The PlayBook blows both away. It does NOT have HDMI output.

The cheap tabs are single core and slower than a PlayBook. Something decent is going to be at least a couple hundred or would lock me into a service contract that I really don't want to sign. An update to the runtime wouldn't cost *me* additional money, but it would make me happier than I already am with what I own now.

Basically... Been there, done that, not satisfied. That's why.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 07:19 PM
    App world purchases over the last few years, for me anyway, amount to maybe a couple cases of beer. As for flow, the Bb10 experience can be duplicated easily (with improvements) on android now quite easily.
    03-24-14 07:25 PM
    Well, it's good that it's not much of a cost to worry about in your case. I still would much rather continue to use viable hardware through software updates until it no longer functions/has the processing power to meet my needs instead of purchasing something because the industry wants me to be a good consumer that buys new things yearly instead of keeping what works. Anti-social, I know.

Aldous Huxley once wrote:
    "Ending is better than mending. The more stitches, the less riches."

Posted via CB10
    playbook_swiper1 likes this.
    03-24-14 07:37 PM
    I understand but we're taking about a $200 purchase here since back when the PB was released
    03-24-14 08:31 PM
    OP, hope you can find some comfort in anyone calling you a troll as B1aize has started another thread with some very interesting insight into the slight possibility of BB10 coming to our PlayBooks via 10.3!

Posted via CB10
    Banco likes this.
    03-24-14 11:12 PM
    Goodluck on that one.

" Initiated from my Q10 "
    03-25-14 01:47 PM
    BB10 sounds unlikely to me I have to say. But there does seem the possibility of some kind of update - just what and whether it's more than a security patch is the thing. Like many others, updating the Android Runtime and improving the browser would make a huge difference.
    nealjane1 likes this.
    03-25-14 01:59 PM
    OP - I believe you!!!!

Posted via BlackBerry Q10Bold
    CatFriedRice likes this.
    03-25-14 03:03 PM
    BB10 sounds unlikely to me I have to say. But there does seem the possibility of some kind of update - just what and whether it's more than a security patch is the thing. Like many others, updating the Android Runtime and improving the browser would make a huge difference.
    I'm almost certain now that the sales rep meant a "fully functional" BB10 bridge.

I wonder what the hold up for update 2.1.0.1917 is...
    03-25-14 05:43 PM
    I'm almost certain now that the sales rep meant a "fully functional" BB10 bridge.

I wonder what the hold up for update 2.1.0.1917 is...
    "Soon."
    Deckard79 likes this.
    03-26-14 09:20 AM
    Some good news for royal playbook users

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 09:27 AM
    On the point about why BB would bother to do this (I don't necessarily mean BB10, I mean any kind of meaningful update) with an old tablet, I've been thinking about that. I might be a decent example of why it is. My 9900 is coming towards the end of its contract, and I do have to decide what to get next. I rather love the whole Bridge apparatus and giving the PB a new lease of life (especially if it's to cover a period until a new tablet is released) does make a big difference in terms of my selection. It would certainly make it infinitely more likely I'll go for a Z30 or similar, keeping the best of both worlds. OK, the PB is no longer cutting edge hardware, but an improved user experience would mean I wouldn't be tempted to get a new tablet, and keeps me well in the BB world rather than moving out.

Whether that's sufficient to make it worth their while doing is another question, but I'm sure it's a consideration.
    sebstarr and miguel89to like this.
    03-26-14 11:57 AM
    I think it would be worth it for BlackBerry to do a PlayBook OS 3.0 with updated flash, air, browser, Android player (heck, even just the Gingerbread player from 10.1 would be a huge improvement), keyboard, bug and performance fixes, cascades support, and integrated BlackBerry World (music and video). All of those are fairly easy to do. DLNA, BBM, and USB OTG would be great too. these would make the PlayBook like new. I actually prefer the UI of the PlayBook for a tablet than how I think BlackBerry 10 would look on it.

The updates would keep current users with BlackBerry, improve brand loyalty and satisfaction, and improve brand image. Most importantly, it would also increase the amount of revenue the PlayBook brings in because the amount of apps (plus music and video) in BlackBerry World would increase. It's not like there wouldn't be any return at all. Some people also refused to buy a BlackBerry 10 smartphone because of the PlayBook update fiasco, so it may also increase adoption rate.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 12:24 PM
    My own 2 cents:

I think this is at least vaguely plausible, though I have to say that I feel like I've been burned enough times that I don't want to invest too much in this. I recall the explanation at the time the announcement came that BB10 wouldn't come to the PlayBook: that BB10 couldn't run on the 1GB of RAM the PlayBook has. Having had a Dev Alpha with only 1GB, and knowing how rough BB10 ran on THAT when it was released, I reluctantly believed it.

What I think changes the picture is that the core system files of BB10 itself may have been optimized enough now that a stripped-down version just MIGHT work.

I do find it intriguing that BB has continued to quietly update both BlackBerry Bridge and the PlayBook itself, so... I don't know.

What I do know is that I came very close to posting a sale notice for my own PlayBook this week, and I'm now just curious enough about these developments that I'm holding off for a bit.
    Can the dev Alpha devices run the lastest shipping BB10 and if so is the memory footprint smaller or larger?
    03-26-14 02:59 PM
    I think it would be worth it for BlackBerry to do a PlayBook OS 3.0 with updated flash, air, browser, Android player (heck, even just the Gingerbread player from 10.1 would be a huge improvement), keyboard, bug and performance fixes, cascades support, and integrated BlackBerry World (music and video). All of those are fairly easy to do. DLNA, BBM, and USB OTG would be great too. these would make the PlayBook like new. I actually prefer the UI of the PlayBook for a tablet than how I think BlackBerry 10 would look on it.

The updates would keep current users with BlackBerry, improve brand loyalty and satisfaction, and improve brand image. Most importantly, it would also increase the amount of revenue the PlayBook brings in because the amount of apps (plus music and video) in BlackBerry World would increase. It's not like there wouldn't be any return at all. Some people also refused to buy a BlackBerry 10 smartphone because of the PlayBook update fiasco, so it may also increase adoption rate.

Posted via CB10
    Some of what you are talking about is not easy and none of it is cheap.
    03-26-14 03:00 PM
    True, but some of it wouldn't be too difficult. I think it would be worth it for the company.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 07:18 PM
    Cheaper than trying to win back customers lost by the way they currently operate.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 07:56 PM
    True, but some of it wouldn't be too difficult. I think it would be worth it for the company.

Posted via CB10
    bb10 orOS 3.0 not sure which is cheaper for the initial project cost.
    But ongoing its cheaper to support one OS than two.

I agree with all the benefits you mention.
    I don't think that the direct revenue is most important though.
    I think the most important thing is the brand image boost, which would could be kinda big.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    03-26-14 08:41 PM
    Playbook updates are always welcome. But since it's already 2014 and they are still working on the device, it really makes me think that they have plans for a tablet peripheral running the playbook os in the future.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 09:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Agree 100%

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    03-26-14 09:50 PM
    bb10 orOS 3.0 not sure which is cheaper for the initial project cost.
    But ongoing its cheaper to support one OS than two.

I agree with all the benefits you mention.
    I don't think that the direct revenue is most important though.
    I think the most important thing is the brand image boost, which would could be kinda big.
    Agreed. The potential for image and brand loyalty is the most important. Extra revenue would be a bonus.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 11:22 PM
512 ... 1415161718 ...