Except you'll notice that some of us know things about programming software and what is possible. If they plan making a PlayBook 2 they may as well get the prototype on the first PlayBook.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    The knowledge of knowing how to reprogram a playbook is not relevant. Time, expenses and will from BlackBerry are. Bottom line is, if updating Playbook is beneficial to BlackBerry business, we will see it. We can argue til the cows come home about the workability of BB10 on the playbook. Certainly all of us will be ecstatic should this come to fruition.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-21-14 05:26 AM
    Well my 10 year old computer can run windows 8.1 but it sucks on it. Just because it can run it doesn't mean it will well or should be done. If BBRY wants to make up for putting out false information or misleading people or plan changes, an update to the pb at this point in time would do squat. The people that it pissed off enough to leave have and a bone to a tablet they discarded won't bring them back. The ones who forgive them and stuck around already bought BB10 phones. A bone to them will make them happier but really, how much life is left in the things by now?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 03-21-14 at 06:46 AM. Reason: corrections
    03-21-14 06:44 AM
    if it true. good work blackberry!

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-21-14 09:23 AM
    I would be happy if the browser and the Android Runtime get updated.
    Especially the browser is really struggling anymore.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 10:08 AM
    Well my 10 year old computer can run windows 8.1 but it sucks on it. Just because it can run it doesn't mean it will well or should be done. If BBRY wants to make up for putting out false information or misleading people or plan changes, an update to the pb at this point in time would do squat. The people that it pissed off enough to leave have and a bone to a tablet they discarded won't bring them back. The ones who forgive them and stuck around already bought BB10 phones. A bone to them will make them happier but really, how much life is left in the things by now?
    A lot of assumptions here. I stuck around, did not forgive. Have not bought a BB10 phone. Some of us happen to enjoy our Playbooks, bought them as standalone devices, and were promised features that never did come...and that's ignoring the BB10 promise. USB-OTG for one.
    46Nico40 likes this.
    03-21-14 10:51 AM
    A lot of assumptions here. I stuck around, did not forgive. Have not bought a BB10 phone. Some of us happen to enjoy our Playbooks, bought them as standalone devices, and were promised features that never did come...and that's ignoring the BB10 promise. USB-OTG for one.
    Yeah, USB-OTG...had the correct plug socket for it and didn't do it anyway. Then the Z10 with the capable OS, but wrong socket. Then Z30 finally got it and hardly anybody can have the phone. What Clowns....unbelievable...

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 11:21 AM
    Hello, hello, hello...

http://www.ptcrb.com/vendor/complete...?modelid=21212

OS version 2.1.0.1917 Radio version: 2.1.0.1283ECOMar 20, 2014

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 and Brandon Orr like this.
    03-21-14 11:32 AM
    Hello, hello, hello...

Welcome to PTCRB

Posted via CB10
    So it's just a new radio for the LTE one? No surprise if that's it.
    03-21-14 11:39 AM
    So it's just a new radio for the LTE one? No surprise if that's it.
    No, they've been using 2.1.0.1283 for well over a year. But 2.1.0.1917 is the interesting bit.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 11:45 AM
    Well, we're getting something, and soon.

Not BB10 but hope springs eternal there may be browser/android runtime improvements.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-21-14 12:01 PM
    Hello, hello, hello...

http://www.ptcrb.com/vendor/complete...?modelid=21212

Posted via CB10
    Looks like a bugfix release over previous (with new radio to boot) - build numbers quite close.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 12:09 PM
    Looks like a bugfix release over previous (with new radio to boot) - build numbers quite close.

Posted via CB10
    Looks like that same radio was used 2 years ago.
    03-21-14 12:19 PM
    So Blackberry would, with great fanfare no doubt, roll out a major upgrade to Playbook just in time for it's user base to watch their 3 year old hardware wink out faster and faster because of non-replaceable batteries? This would generate a bit of ill will don't you think? Only a really stupid, incompetent company incapable of realizing the laughter generated by such a move would do that.... oh wait, we're talking about Blackberry.

This forum is aptly named, you people really are on crack!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-21-14 12:38 PM
    Looks like that same radio was used 2 years ago.
    Ah, missed that!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 01:11 PM
    IMO technology wise the playbook is far from dead its not cutting edge but they said that as soon as every iphone and ipad came out, they could churn them out as cheap android tablets and still have a better specs than most of the stuff currently being sold as entry level android.

the playbook still has a place for developing hard and software - in car technology is growing all the time and the playbook is an ideal platform for qnx to show its thing which can then be ported off for in car systems, smart tvs etc..

there'll be several flavours of research playbook software kicking about just like any other linux distro or windows work up, as long as rnd is tax deductible they can justify a few bodies ironing out the bugs and glitches, it just need the will to push it a little.

there are still plenty of playbooks in circulation which are used regularly and are worth supporting, updating the tablet to a more usable state would soon see the second hand market pick up as people trade up from their 50 quid 4gb android tablets (picked up off ebay) which can only help BBs tainted image. I'd be looking at selling a new faster model as a bundle with existing phones to push the bridge features and get people using them as a pair for the larger screen and better sound.

the gui is fine although I'd like smaller icons its pleasant, stable and liveable with, frustration with sideloaded apps freezing, crashing or just not working is the biggest bugbear but to be honest there's nothing I couldn't live without. hardware wise most of it could be reused in a new model which could allow users to update mboards or just stick new batteries in.

set up two lines, one BB one generic android with enough differences to maintain the security thing for those who want it, but importantly the same base hardwear and accessories. they obviously built it in taiwan to avoid the chinese copy monster but many of the chinese copies ended up far superior to the original product. you can walk into a factory now with your spec list and price requirements then a month or two later return to pick up your 40,000 tablet order.
    PlayBook UK likes this.
    03-21-14 03:43 PM
    Paraphrasing, old tablets never die they just fade away. The PB is in the process of fading away although it may take a time. There may be a new tablet or phablet from BB and maybe two. One could be an enterprise model with strong specs which can also run windows apps and selling for $500+ while the other could be consumer grade with the ability to run emulator or dual boot operating systems so as to take advantage of apps from other operating systems. Then there is the need to meet needs in other parts of the world than the EU and North America. Much better processors are already available
    03-21-14 05:52 PM
    Yea...pretty sure BlackBerry tablets are dead and they're working on building Fuse/ Bridge for Apple and Android tablets. Just my opinion of course.

- Developer of PinGuin
    03-21-14 06:02 PM
    Probably BB just involved in damage limitation in order to try and keep some of their "never again!" customers (like myself). As I still use my PlayBook every day, I have to welcome any updates it gets. But as it has started getting a bit grouchy with age (keyboard doesn't always appear at the login screen; browser crashing more than usual these days) I'm just wondering how much longer I can live with it before I move fully to an android tablet. I have just bought an Ainol 9.7" retina screen model to take the strain off my half-century old peepers while book and comic reading. But first thing every morning, I login to my PB to check my emails and make any replies I need to and do a bit of web browsing (the browser really is very good when it works) and listen to a bit of web radio streaming. And I can rely on it to do this for 3 or 4 days in a row between charges, depending on how often I use it throughout the day as well. To do the same on my android tablet I would be looking to charge it at least once a day. Hopefully when/if this update appears it will iron out all the little idiosyncrasies my PB has picked up and give it a new lease of life.
    03-21-14 06:24 PM
    Maybe BB has 2 million PB still stored somewhere and now they want to sell them with upgraded software ................. lol

Guys, we all went through a lot of promises, rumors about our beloved PB, I remember when the PB first came out without native Apps,, we waited 8 months those
    The PB is dead, basta
    I still use my PB still every day, Music, Pictures, checking email, Pandora, as a second tablet
    I am now using a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 running Windows 8,1
    03-21-14 08:38 PM
    Dont forget, BB is getting out of the hard ware business, only software development, BBM and licenses to Apple for their new car projects
    The new Cheaper BB10 phone Indonesia is being sold in Asia with BB OS10

So they could license the software OS10 to any tablet maker, who is interested
    as it is Android compatible plenty of apps to start off

so we may see new BB tablets - not so far fetched - there is only one free tablet OS with Android, so they may be a niche to get some market share when sold in a bundle with phones
    03-21-14 09:02 PM
    Dont forget, BB is getting out of the hard ware business, only software development, BBM and licenses to Apple for their new car projects
    The new Cheaper BB10 phone Indonesia is being sold in Asia with BB OS10

So they could license the software OS10 to any tablet maker, who is interested
    as it is Android compatible plenty of apps to start off

so we may see new BB tablets - not so far fetched - there is only one free tablet OS with Android, so they may be a niche to get some market share when sold in a bundle with phones
    Bingo. It only took 14 pages for someone to make this point. There had been speculation in the media that BB might license OS10 to others, and, correct me if I'm wrong, someone put the question to TH himself whether this was in the cards, and his response was something to the effect of "we're weighing all options". If BB does plan to license BB10 to other manufacturers and to include a tablet version as part of the plan, why not, if possible, push this out to the PB first as a proof of concept. BB seems to be in this vicious catch 22. It happened with the Playbook, and from my understanding, is happening with the BB10 phones. Sales were/are sluggish largely because of a lack of apps, and thus developers were reluctant to develop apps because of the low sales numbers. It may be that the only way for BB to stay viable and to increase the numbers of BB10 devices out there in order to increase app development is to try and bring other hardware manufacturers on board. Maybe they could offer these manufacturers a piece of the app world action as an inducement to join the party (does google do this with android?).
    medic_28 and hreiner1 like this.
    03-21-14 10:35 PM
    Playbook1 BB10 beta testers for Playbook2...its not like OS1/2 was not a precursor to BB10 ;-)

Loyalty, low spec optimisation and beta testing in one...

It's possible...
    03-21-14 10:41 PM
    Bb10 can't come to the PlayBook until they make the home screen work in landscape mode, unless they fork a Bb10 line for the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 05:16 AM
    Bb10 can't come to the PlayBook until they make the home screen work in landscape mode, unless they fork a Bb10 line for the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    We want what is possible. What is possible then: Android Runtime update, BB10 Browser & Keyboard and Bridge Hub. Think all these are possible!?

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-22-14 06:00 AM
    We want what is possible. What is possible then: Android Runtime update, BB10 Browser & Keyboard and Bridge Hub. Think all these are possible!?

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    I'm betting we'll get Hub through Bridge, and maybe a browser update, because it's a standalone app, I think the existing BB10 app is made with HTML5 so it'll be fairly simple to bring over to the PB.

Android RT is too much effort to optimize it for the PB and it's a feature that's meant to entice people to buy BlackBerry products. As the PlayBook is discontinued I doubt it'll provide any benefits. The keyboard might make its way over, but, once again, that'll take some resources to bring it over since it's not just a skin it actually has a bunch of stuff in the backend for the predictions and languages.

Aside from that, I'm sure a few but fixes and patches will be added.

- Developer of PinGuin
    03-22-14 11:08 AM
512 ... 1213141516 ...