A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty - Winston Churchill

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    and a realist pulls his head outta his arse when it comes to anything to do with Playbook
    03-20-14 01:17 PM
    and a realist pulls his head outta his arse when it comes to anything to do with Playbook
    Clean up on aisle 5!!
    Cynycl, kbz1960, HelliS22 and 2 others like this.
    03-20-14 01:20 PM
    Clean up on aisle 5!!

Posted via CB10
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    03-20-14 01:24 PM
    The return of the living dead..

"Initiated from my Q10 "
    HelliS22 likes this.
    03-20-14 01:28 PM
    Maybe just maybe, we will get BB10 on our PlayBooks. It does make sense to develop it for the current PlayBook because if they can get it to work on 3 year old hardware, think of what a spec'd up PlayBook 2 would be able do. It will also be good testing ground, since most people have given up on the PlayBook already. I see people firing up those PlayBooks again and going crazy like when the BB10 leaks where coming out.
    03-20-14 02:20 PM
    Does anyone really think effort will be made on a 3 year old product that didn't sell well when there is still talk of getting out of the handset business? Think about it. Perhaps a security update here and there but when was the last time flash has been updated? And how many times before that? When was the last update the pb got?
    Well there is two possibilities. The first is your view where BlackBerry wouldn't do anything else for the reasons you state, and they are all valid. The second is that Chen and BlackBerry did some research and found that the PlayBook, and the way it was handled by BlackBerry, is a severe sore spot with possibly some high level customers, and the consumers who bought them, and they decided that the cost to bring BB10 to the PlayBook is worth it to mend some fences. Both are possible. I hope they determined the latter, but I've seen so much BS like this before that I'm not going to expect anything for the PlayBook from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and RyanGermann like this.
    03-20-14 03:48 PM
    I wouldn't hold my breath, even though I really want it to be true. My source in BB has told me he has heard no such thing at least in the marketing department OR internal servers :S
    Having said that, I do have reason to believe a new update, namely 1895 may be coming in the near future. Whether the browser, UI, or runtime are updated, who knows.
    03-20-14 04:01 PM
    I wouldn't hold my breath, even though I really want it to be true. My source in BB has told me he has heard no such thing at least in the marketing department OR internal servers :S
    Having said that, I do have reason to believe a new update, namely 1895 may be coming in the near future. Whether the browser, UI, or runtime are updated, who knows.
    I'm pretty much ok if at least full bridge functionality comes back along with ability to group chat. I don't think that's out of the bounds of possibility with a small update.

- Developer of PinGuin
    03-20-14 04:04 PM
    I'm pretty much ok if at least full bridge functionality comes back along with ability to group chat. I don't think that's out of the bounds of possibility with a small update.

- Developer of PinGuin
    A fix for group chat is coming. BB was aware of it months ago, not sure why the fix isn't released yet
    03-20-14 04:33 PM
    A fix for group chat is coming. BB was aware of it months ago, not sure why the fix isn't released yet
    Did group chat ever work in legacy Bridge?

- Developer of PinGuin
    03-20-14 05:32 PM
    People have really short memories.

Last year before BB10 for Playbook was canceled, there were multiple tweets from BlackBerry itself saying that BB10 was coming to PlayBook in a few week's time. There was some memorandum from the Pentagon saying BB10 was coming.

BB10 isn't coming, regardless of what someone might say on the phone to a forum member.

Devote resources to 3 year old hardware? You have to be kidding.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-14 06:14 PM
    Last year before BB10 for Playbook was canceled, there were multiple tweets from BlackBerry itself saying that BB10 was coming to PlayBook
    This I remember ...

in a few week's time.
    This I don't. :-) What I do remember is that it was an ambiguous promise of "next year" or "2013" not "in a couple of weeks".
    03-20-14 06:31 PM
    People have really short memories.

Last year before BB10 for Playbook was canceled, there were multiple tweets from BlackBerry itself saying that BB10 was coming to PlayBook in a few week's time. There was some memorandum from the Pentagon saying BB10 was coming.

BB10 isn't coming, regardless of what someone might say on the phone to a forum member.

Devote resources to 3 year old hardware? You have to be kidding.

Posted via CB10
    Let's be clear this time BB did not say BB10 is coming to Playbook. Let's not allow speculation from some of the people here spin out of control. We expect update and base on the version it's safe to say it's a minor update. Nothing was said about fixing the browser or keyboard or whatever wishful thinking that we have. I get that many of us still pee off at the broken promise by Thor. Compiling assumptions upon assumptions will not change the situation one bit.
    03-20-14 07:03 PM
    Let's be clear this time BB did not say BB10 is coming to Playbook. Let's not allow speculation from some of the people here spin out of control. We expect update and base on the version it's safe to say it's a minor update. Nothing was said about fixing the browser or keyboard or whatever wishful thinking that we have. I get that many of us still pee off at the broken promise by Thor. Compiling assumptions upon assumptions will not change the situation one bit.
    Except you'll notice that some of us know things about programming software and what is possible. If they plan making a PlayBook 2 they may as well get the prototype on the first PlayBook.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    RyanGermann and jcbrunson like this.
    03-20-14 07:13 PM
    Except you'll notice that some of us know things about programming software and what is possible. If they plan making a PlayBook 2 they may as well get the prototype on the first PlayBook.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Not necessarily. If a Playbook 2 has 2GB Ram, they would have no need to support the original Playbook. Lets get one thing clear, Z3 development means absolutely nothing. The only chance, and its extremely slim, that the playbook could get BB10 is if blackberry are developing a low tech product with 1GB RAM. If, and only if that is the case, then there can be legitimate cases to be made. Too many people are making the assumption that this is happening, when all that has happened is that the OS has been optimised for 1.5GB RAM. Now it may or may not be possible to get it to 1GB RAM, that is totally irrelevant, what is relevant is whether blackberry are continuing to optimise for an even lower tech product.

If we were to then venture onto that road, there are still no guarantees that blackberry will want to spend additional resources to tweak the OS for tablet users in terms of getting aspect ratios right etc.
    03-20-14 08:01 PM
    Not necessarily. If a Playbook 2 has 2GB Ram, they would have no need to support the original Playbook. Lets get one thing clear, Z3 development means absolutely nothing. The only chance, and its extremely slim, that the playbook could get BB10 is if blackberry are developing a low tech product with 1GB RAM. If, and only if that is the case, then there can be legitimate cases to be made. Too many people are making the assumption that this is happening, when all that has happened is that the OS has been optimised for 1.5GB RAM. Now it may or may not be possible to get it to 1GB RAM, that is totally irrelevant, what is relevant is whether blackberry are continuing to optimise for an even lower tech product.

If we were to then venture onto that road, there are still no guarantees that blackberry will want to spend additional resources to tweak the OS for tablet users in terms of getting aspect ratios right etc.
    Let's say 10.3 is further optimized and supports full landscape. Doesn't that count as a check mark on the to do list indirectly ? This is software... and BlackBerry is putting more emphasis on it. so let's see it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    jcbrunson likes this.
    03-20-14 08:18 PM
    Come on guys... you're getting your hopes up needlessly

This is more of a business problem than anything else.

There is no new PlayBook in the foreseeable future

As far as I can tell, BlackBerry is just about out of inventory of the previous two models and isn't making more

As far as I can tell, very few channel partners have any inventory of the previous two models to sell

As much as it cheeses of Crackberry visitors (myself included) that the promise was broken, we likely represent only the tiniest fraction of PlayBook's user base. Remember, this thing was liquidated for cheap two years ago my. My two cousins have PlayBook's. My two aunts have them. My mom and step dad have them. My two friends from university have them. My neighbor at work has one. None of these people ever visit Crackberry.com, none of them have BlackBerry 10 devices and none know what benefits it gives.thet wanted a cheap tablet and they got one.

Subtract all the dead PlayBook tablets. Subtract all the ones that were replaced or aren't used anymore. Subtract all the people who don't know and don't care about BlackBerry 10 and how large of an audience is left for such a big dev effort?

It's gone guys... let it rest in peace. don't get your hopes up for something isn't going to benefit many and consume precious rare resources right now.

It's beyond the point of absurd to even get our hopes up on this. We might as well assume that 9900 phones are getting an upgrade then... since likely a lot more of those were sold than PlayBook's...

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-14 08:52 PM
    9900 isn't sitting on a solid QNX base. Java OS that can't handle dual cores... lol

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-20-14 08:55 PM
    9900 isn't sitting on a solid QNX base. Java OS that can't handle dual cores... lol

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Not the point... From a business perspective, there are likely a lot more 9900s that have ever been sold globally and a lot more still in use

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-14 09:05 PM

Except that BlackBerry 10 can and does run on devices with 1GB of RAM already. The Dev Alpha A and B for example.

Apparently it can't handle as much running at once, but if it's been optimized to run well on 1.5 GB of RAM, those optimizations have the potential to also help on devices with 1GB. Whether or not that's enough to call the result a good experience, who knows?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 09:44 PM
    Not the point... From a business perspective, there are likely a lot more 9900s that have ever been sold globally and a lot more still in use

Posted via CB10
    It is absolutely the point if they ever plan to return to making tablets...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    jcbrunson likes this.
    03-20-14 10:01 PM
    Except that BlackBerry 10 can and does run on devices with 1GB of RAM already. The Dev Alpha A and B for example.

Apparently it can't handle as much running at once, but if it's been optimized to run well on 1.5 GB of RAM, those optimizations have the potential to also help on devices with 1GB. Whether or not that's enough to call the result a good experience, who knows?

Posted via CB10
    Does the latest version of BB10 run on the dev Alphas? And if it does how much free memory is left?

Some folks actually think Bb10 is coming to the current playbooks
    03-20-14 10:05 PM
    It is absolutely the point if they ever plan to return to making tablets...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I doubt they are in the next 18 months.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 10:11 PM
    Does the latest version of BB10 run on the dev Alphas? And if it does how much free memory is left?

Some folks actually think Bb10 is coming to the current playbooks
    I don't own one, so I can't tell you. I'm sure others here can. It still remains a fact that older builds DID run on them despite the 1GB of RAM.

For the record I do NOT think BB10 is coming at all to PlayBook. I do think certain core elements could and should have been brought over. Still could be, probably won't be because BlackBerry is not running a charity.

The most I expect to see is some continued bridge updates and security patches, maybe a tweak or two to clear up performance issues.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 10:15 PM
    No current PB will run BB10. Goodness

"Initiated from my Q10 "
    03-20-14 10:43 PM
512 ... 1112131415 ...