Developing a version of bb10 for the playbook (even a light version) will bring confidence back to blackberry products with new and past blackberry users.

Will also help for the development of the next playbook platform, which is needed to succeed in the world of the mobile workforce. Apple android and microsoft all have phone and tablet platforms, as you need both into days world.

All I need is a playbook with nowtv

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl likes this.
    03-20-14 08:56 AM
    Boys please! I have been away for quite a few months now due to the nature of my job. The last thing I expected however upon my arrival back was to find the same issues being discussed over and over and over and over again. The second world war didn't drag on this long.

I am new to bb and the pb but even if understand that bb10, 11, 12 or whatever you wish to call it, IS NOT ARRIVING ON YOUR PB!

The pb is dead as far as bb are concerned. I like it I use it everyday for security reasons but please can we stop this incessant hoping wishing for bb10 on our existing pbs.

Should you feel the need to just type something there is always the rehab forum. Type away until your hearts content there with no relevance to reality!
    03-20-14 09:03 AM
    Developing a version of bb10 for the playbook (even a light version) will bring confidence back to blackberry products with new and past blackberry users.

Will also help for the development of the next playbook platform, which is needed to succeed in the world of the mobile workforce. Apple android and microsoft all have phone and tablet platforms, as you need both into days world.

All I need is a playbook with nowtv

Posted via CB10
    This is also my reasoning on why they could or should be doing this for the PlayBook.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-20-14 09:15 AM
    This is also my reasoning on why they could or should be doing this for the PlayBook.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    They should be............but they won't be.

Not releasing anything to properly update the playbook would be another massive missed opportunity. That is exactly why I expect nothing. Rimberry is the industry leader in missed opportunity.

Just look back at those wonderful marketing strategies from the past two years.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 03-20-14 at 09:58 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-14 09:29 AM
    I give up.
    Cynycl and kbz1960 like this.
    03-20-14 09:36 AM
    I have it on excellent authority that BB10 will indeed be coming to the playbook - thats a 100% garauntee that you can take to the bank.

Oh wait, sorry, that was from the CEO who subsequently went back on his word and then legged it with a healthy cash injection

As an aside I've seen quite a few people say that the PB was such a disaster that BBRY took a billion dollar write down on it, well I for one call BS, as a billion dollars equates to a $500 unit cost for 2 million units and i highly doubt BBRY were sat on 2 million units at that point.

The only reason they took a write down on it was for accounting / tax purposes cos it would make the balance sheet look better somewhere.
    03-20-14 09:44 AM
    If the BB10 browser actually was ported over to the PB I believe many of you would be very disappointed. CPU (and likely more importantly GPU) performance of the existing BB10 devices vastly outperforms the PB. You will still see the lag and checkerboarding on content-rich websites like CrackBerry.
    Wrong.

I have personally used BB10's Web browser on a PlayBook running 10.0.9.388. I can assure you that it ran much faster than what we have and did not have too many issues. A few things look a little oversized for the screen but they worked. RAM, CPU, and GPU are not the reasons we do not have this browser in Tablet OS.

Earlier versions of Cascades apps DO function on the PlayBook. It's possible to make your own Cascades apps for PlayBook using the 10.0.4 SDK and bundling the libraries into the BAR file. It's just nowhere near as robust as 10.0.9 and up, a LOT of things don't work the way you might expect them to, but the basics are there and they do function. RAM, CPU, and GPU are not the reasons we do not have a proper Cascades SDK for Tablet OS.

We don't have these things because some people in business suits decided it would cost more money than it was worth to bring them over to the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    Icarus3000 and jcbrunson like this.
    03-20-14 11:16 AM
    This would be awesome. Instant happiness. It will show that PlayBook is still good enough and bb10 can be adapted to a tablet format.

No hopes, but still encouraged.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 11:19 AM
    Well at least I know now that I came back for a good reason and just in time as it seems. Anyone know when I should start pressing the update button. Again.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-14 11:24 AM
    Is there any chance that they are still developing for the Playbook screen format because they are also bringing that format ratio to the phones? I like to use the HDMI out and OTG USB support to connect my Z30 to a desktop monitor, keyboard, mouse. I'd love it if when I did that I could use the full monitor rather than having it just mirror the phone's display. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to go hand in hand with designing BB10 to run on a playbook ratio device.
    03-20-14 11:26 AM
    This entire thread is one big tribute to the gullibility of human nature.

Posted via CB10
    HelliS22 and kbz1960 like this.
    03-20-14 11:33 AM
    This entire thread is one big tribute to the gullibility of human nature.

Posted via CB10
    Are we the only two sane persons here.
    03-20-14 11:35 AM
    Agree with you that doing this for the Playbook alone is an utter waste of time.. But what if the mandate was to make BB10 work on low end HW (ie less than or equal 1GB of RAM). What if BB wants to release a Z1 to compete with the ultra low end handsets in the developing markets? Why can't the Playbook then benefit from this work?
    Agree in that it would be good to lower the overall cost of the low-end devices. There is also the work to adjust all the UI in all the shipping apps for a horizontally oriented tablet form factor as well.

I suspect we'd have had more of a chance for a BlackBerry 10 release on PlayBook if they already had to do the UI work for a successor PlayBook to coincide with the Z3 ....
    03-20-14 11:46 AM
    If they are optimizing the OS anyway and 10.3 can be used with landscape across the board that's already 2 major problems fixed without actually targeting the PlayBook.
    That's the thing. I don't think landscape "across the board" is smart UX designing. They need to do more than make a landscape orientation that just 'stretches'. PlayBook has a larger physical screen, yet lower resolution and PPI. There's work to be done to make it touch friendly and look good within it's limitations.

I do agree with your thinking though. See post above. PlayBook BlackBerry 10 for the sake of PlayBook original and PlayBook LTE alone isn't going to cut it.

I'm not worried about the 'technical impossibilities' of making it work. Engineers are smart cookies. If some company came to BlackBerry said "we'll buy 10 million PlayBooks at $400 a piece and no possibility of returns, provided they ship with BlackBerry 10 ", we'd probably be amazed at how fast they got BlackBerry 10 working on a 1 GB tablet. ;-)

But since that isn't likely to happen ...
    kbz1960 and FF22 like this.
    03-20-14 11:49 AM
    Does anyone really think effort will be made on a 3 year old product that didn't sell well when there is still talk of getting out of the handset business? Think about it. Perhaps a security update here and there but when was the last time flash has been updated? And how many times before that? When was the last update the pb got?
    SalMan50 likes this.
    03-20-14 12:02 PM
    Does anyone really think effort will be made on a 3 year old product that didn't sell well when there is still talk of getting out of the handset business? Think about it. Perhaps a security update here and there but when was the last time flash has been updated? And how many times before that? When was the last update the pb got?
    Clearly some do.

On the plus side, we do at least know there will be at least one further update. It is not beyond comprehension that this may have a tweaked Android runtime and/or browser.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 12:05 PM
    I am planning to buy an ipad mini this week. Should I really wait for this update before deciding? I love my PlayBook, but it can't meet my needs anymore.

TAN OKAN Q10
    03-20-14 12:08 PM
    I am planning to buy an ipad mini this week. Should I really wait for this update before deciding? I love my PlayBook, but it can't meet my needs anymore.

TAN OKAN Q10
    If its any more than security patches I'll eat my shorts.
    Cynycl and portal like this.
    03-20-14 12:11 PM
    If its any more than security patches I'll eat my shorts.
    The last update did include a tweaked Android runtime, do not forget, that did provide a performance improvement in sideloaded Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 12:16 PM
    The last update did include a tweaked Android runtime, do not forget, that did provide a performance improvement in sideloaded Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe I should leave eating my shots for BB10
    Cynycl and anon(5906760) like this.
    03-20-14 12:23 PM
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty - Winston Churchill

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-20-14 12:28 PM
    There is a lot of both when a discussion includes "playbook".

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 12:39 PM
    It's coming in weeks...or months... or years!

It's coming!

Keep the faith!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, rickster21 and jcbrunson like this.
    03-20-14 12:44 PM
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty - Winston Churchill

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    I don't think many companies survive or run on seeing things half full after 3 years of failing. So are you expecting more updates for legacy devices released 3 years ago? BB10 should be put on those too. Why stop at the pb. Optimize the ism outta it!

I give up too.
    dhs1000 likes this.
    03-20-14 12:46 PM
    you were wondering if I was trolling. Fair enough. For the record, I wasn't.

Marc
    I'm sure you believe everything you said, and I'm sure some phone bimbo leaked sensitive blackberry r&d news, I'm sure you couldn't wait to post it, and I'm sure you're having a good chuckle. For the record, so am I
    03-20-14 12:54 PM
512 ... 1011121314 ...