It's unlikely BB10 will be on the Playbook.
    Not any time soon: as part of a "make BB10 work on lower-cost devices" initiative, it could be (and I'm not being overly optimistic, I'm seeing it as a legitimate marketing opportunity)

We are getting ahead of ourselves. Minor fix and minor tuning to optimize perhaps. Seriously I do not want to hear all the same whining and groaning all over again.
    Anything with a 2.1 version number isn't BB10.
    03-19-14 06:40 PM
    djpailo, you were wondering if I was trolling. Fair enough. For the record, I wasn't.

wavemansam, you've called me a troll twice now. Based on your post history, you clearly like your PlayBook the way it is. That's great. I'm happy for you. I still use my PlayBook daily and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. However, I wouldn't mind putting the same BB10 apps on my PlayBook that I have on my Z10. I suffer from short arm syndrome (i.e. over 40) and I don't always have my reading glasses handy. Using the same apps on my PlayBook that I use on my Z10 would be handy.

sigint99, you've called me a troll once and I won't bother reading through your 250 posts to see what you're all about.

pacoman03, thanks for bothering to check my posting history.

Thank you to all of the other posters who chimed in on what may or may not happen with BB10 on the PlayBook.

I'll try this again for those who didn't bother to read my original and subsequent post.

I called a BlackBerry Support number because my Z10 is having microphone issues and there were 12 days left in my one year warranty (11 days left now).

It turned out that I was talking to PlayBook Support who directed me to Rogers to start a warranty claim for my Z10.

I took the opportunity to ask the PlayBook Support person a question since I had him on the phone. I asked if there will be another update for the PlayBook, whether it be another OS 2.x or the new Android runtime. I recently installed 4 Android apps using Snap that I need that aren't in BlackBerry World. I was told that PlayBook was going to get BB10 in a few weeks (then he corrected himself and said months).

I told him that he must be mistaken because Heins already said that no BB10 was coming to the PlayBook. He said it again... BB10 is coming to the PlayBook in a few weeks (then he corrected himself again and said few months) because BlackBerry was concentrating on releasing their two new phones first. Again I told him that he must be mistaken.

He then added that BlackBerry wants to have BB10 on all of their devices that are not OS 7, including the PlayBook. He said it was on the website.

I asked him where on the website it was and he said "the internal one".

For what it's worth, that's what I was told and the person was adamant in telling me that it's coming but he didn't want to tell me anything more specific.

I have only posted 30 times since buying my Z10 on March 30th, 2013. Other than the mic issue that I'm experiencing now, I have only one annoyance with my Z10. I have Name and Number display through Rogers Wireless. I cannot add a caller's name and number from the callers list to the contacts list without losing the name and having to retype it. My 9900, my kids' Galaxy S2, S3 and iPhone 4S and 5 all were able to do it. One year later, my Z10 still cannot copy the Name and Number from my callers list to my contact list. That's the only thing that I'm missing from my Z10 that I had on every phone that my kids and I have owned over the years.

I can't be any more transparent than that.

Cheers,

Marc
    03-19-14 06:53 PM
    For what it's worth, the 4 Android apps that I installed are

-Teamviewer
    -Rogers One Number Smartphone
    -Scotia iTrade
    -Google Maps (for the one or two times that BlackBerry Maps can't find a new street)

I purchased CounterPath's Bria BB10 app for my home phone which is VOIP. CounterPath built the Rogers One Number app but it's only available for iOS and Android.

I can't be any more open than that.

Marc
    03-19-14 07:02 PM
    Long reply too long to read. Long

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 07:03 PM
    Only possibility is that there are some Enterprises that still use it and BB is kind of still supporting those unique and possibly important users????
    And the intention of releasing PB2 that operate BB10 down the road.
    03-19-14 07:12 PM
    How much RAM does the Z3 have? How much RAM does the PlayBook LTE have?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 07:31 PM
    To implement BB10 to Playbook. It will require 2GB RAM. Sadly all Playbook are only packed with "1GB" with that being said, it will be impossible to see a playbook running BB10. Sad but true..

"Initiated from my Q10 "
    How do you know that it needs 2Gb ram?(Don't say Heins said so).
    Wasn't the Dev Alpha device only have 1 Gb ram?
    I think it is quite possible to skinny BB10 (non celluar) down to run on the Playbook. How well it runs will depend on the memory management logic of the OS.
    03-19-14 07:40 PM
    How do you know that it needs 2Gb ram?(Don't say Heins said so).
    Wasn't the Dev Alpha device only have 1 Gb ram?
    I think it is quite possible to skinny BB10 (non celluar) down to run on the Playbook. How well it runs will depend on the memory management logic of the OS.
    Yes, I believe it was run on 1gb, but then it was claimed it would not work on 1gb when the final product was done, IIRC.
    03-19-14 08:40 PM
    Bb10 can work we just don't need the hub...all we need is the interface maybe...browser....toast notifications.....bbm....just a few things remember the dev alpha had 1gb of ram....so hardware it is possible........just a basic version of bb10 that's all....

Posted via CB10
    Johberry likes this.
    03-19-14 09:06 PM
    Holy cow people - it's this kind of rumor circus that gets everyone all worked up and disappointed about things that never happen. Ram, processor, whatever aside - it just makes no sense that BB10 is going to come to the PlayBook. Why support a 3 year old piece of hardware? To keep a few thousand people who haven't upgraded to something else happy? To restore hope in the BlackBerry faithful? Why would any business do that this late in the game? If they were still selling it - sure maybe, but it's been off the shelves for months. There's absolutely no business case for this, especially when the company is bleeding and they are restructuring. While I can appreciate the conversation for the sake of discussion, it isn't going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    FF22, kbz1960 and Chrysalis1156 like this.
    03-19-14 09:14 PM
    Only reason is to keep government and industry users happy.
    FF22 and kbz1960 like this.
    03-19-14 09:18 PM
    ...I reckon a minor update and fully working hub through bridge from bb10..:-)

Posted via CB10
    Let's hope fully functional BlackBerry Bridge returns with the update.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    ExBB likes this.
    03-19-14 10:24 PM
    To implement BB10 to Playbook. It will require 2GB RAM. Sadly all Playbook are only packed with "1GB" with that being said, it will be impossible to see a playbook running BB10. Sad but true..

"Initiated from my Q10 "
    Not saying that BB10 will come to the playbook, though I wish it does. But bb10 doesn't necessarily needs 2gb ram. There's a guy in the forums, I think it's 'Habsfan' if I'm not mistaken that has a Q10 with only 1gb of ram and he says that everything works good as long as he doesn't have more than 4 apps opened (do a search on YouTube with bb10 running on 1gb ram and you'll probably find his video). So you never know...

Funny thing is, one week ago I really got back to using my playbook because I was tired of my laggy Sammy tab 3. And now I'm hearing all those updates rumors. If we get a new keyboard, new browser and new android runtime this little outdated playbook will be all I need as a tablet. Fingers crossed!!!

Edit: here's the link
    Posted via CB10
    axllebeer likes this.
    03-19-14 11:09 PM
    Excellent post.

Not saying that BB10 will come to the playbook, though I wish it does. But bb10 doesn't necessarily needs 2gb ram. There's a guy in the forums, I think it's 'Habsfan' if I'm not mistaken that has a Q10 with only 1gb of ram and he says that everything works good as long as he doesn't have more than 4 apps opened (do a search on YouTube with bb10 running on 1gb ram and you'll probably find his video). So you never know...

Funny thing is, one week ago I really got back to using my playbook because I was tired of my laggy Sammy tab 3. And now I'm hearing all those updates rumors. If we get a new keyboard, new browser and new android runtime this little outdated playbook will be all I need as a tablet. Fingers crossed!!!

Edit: here's the link
    Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 11:40 PM
    I'm trying to be negative on this, I too want to see BB10 to run on Playbook. But the way I see it, it will be incredibly impossible. No.1 Market, no.2 : BB10 is still fresh they still need time to concentrate on their bb10 phones. No.3 transition, transition takes time. 2 or 3 years, I might say they will reconstruct everything, start from scratch and bring PB2. But to bring old PB into BB10, I just don't see it. Sorry.

"Initiated from my Q10 "
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-14 12:01 AM
    I see this as a good sign after J.Chen talked about supporting BB loyals a while back.
    03-20-14 12:45 AM
    I'm trying to be negative on this, I too want to see BB10 to run on Playbook. But the way I see it, it will be incredibly impossible. No.1 Market, no.2 : BB10 is still fresh they still need time to concentrate on their bb10 phones. No.3 transition, transition takes time. 2 or 3 years, I might say they will reconstruct everything, start from scratch and bring PB2. But to bring old PB into BB10, I just don't see it. Sorry.

"Initiated from my Q10 "
    For 500000 time it's not impossible.... software can be optimized....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    RyanGermann likes this.
    03-20-14 01:09 AM
    My own 2 cents:

I think this is at least vaguely plausible, though I have to say that I feel like I've been burned enough times that I don't want to invest too much in this. I recall the explanation at the time the announcement came that BB10 wouldn't come to the PlayBook: that BB10 couldn't run on the 1GB of RAM the PlayBook has. Having had a Dev Alpha with only 1GB, and knowing how rough BB10 ran on THAT when it was released, I reluctantly believed it.

What I think changes the picture is that the core system files of BB10 itself may have been optimized enough now that a stripped-down version just MIGHT work.

I do find it intriguing that BB has continued to quietly update both BlackBerry Bridge and the PlayBook itself, so... I don't know.

What I do know is that I came very close to posting a sale notice for my own PlayBook this week, and I'm now just curious enough about these developments that I'm holding off for a bit.
    rickster21 and SlcCorrado like this.
    03-20-14 01:36 AM
    Not any time soon: as part of a "make BB10 work on lower-cost devices" initiative, it could be (and I'm not being overly optimistic, I'm seeing it as a legitimate marketing opportunity)

Anything with a 2.1 version number isn't BB10.
    Except 10.2.1!
    jcbrunson likes this.
    03-20-14 05:45 AM
    I think they've simply made the OS more efficient. The Z3 uses the same latest 10.2.1 so it's hard to say what they actually did to cut the memory usage. All I know is that it's very possible to get BB10 optimized to 1GB if given enough time.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I'm sure it's technically possible but it's probably a big, expensive dev project. With fewer engineering resources to do the work, I'd wonder if they see the opportunity cost of pulling resources off of future BB10 features worth it at this point...

Unfortunately, it's not the kind of project where they can say, "Hey - Bob has a couple of free hours this afternoon. Go make, BlackBerry 10 on PlayBook". More than likely most of the shipped software and OS components in BlackBerry 10 would have to be optimized, refactored, tailored in order for it to happen. That's a lot of teams being pulled away from other work.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 05:51 AM
    I'm sure it's technically possible but it's probably a big, expensive dev project. With fewer engineering resources to do the work, I'd wonder if they see the opportunity cost of pulling resources off of future BB10 features worth it at this point...

Unfortunately, it's not the kind of project where they can say, "Hey - Bob has a couple of free hours this afternoon. Go make, BlackBerry 10 on PlayBook". More than likely most of the shipped software and OS components in BlackBerry 10 would have to be optimized, refactored, tailored in order for it to happen. That's a lot of teams being pulled away from other work.

Posted via CB10
    Agree with you that doing this for the Playbook alone is an utter waste of time.. But what if the mandate was to make BB10 work on low end HW (ie less than or equal 1GB of RAM). What if BB wants to release a Z1 to compete with the ultra low end handsets in the developing markets? Why can't the Playbook then benefit from this work?
    03-20-14 07:23 AM
    Let's hope fully functional BlackBerry Bridge returns with the update.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    I don't even care about that anymore. My pb was retired for a much much better tablet.
    03-20-14 07:41 AM
    If their desire is to make it work, what's the rush? As most note, it's 3 year old hardware with low numbers. I wouldn't think they would dedicate "teams" of resources. More like the remaining Playbook group in an obscure office somewhere and it will come as they get it done.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 08:31 AM
    You should all hate yourselves for even wasting 1 minute thinking about even the possibility of this.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 08:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    If they are optimizing the OS anyway and 10.3 can be used with landscape across the board that's already 2 major problems fixed without actually targeting the PlayBook.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-20-14 08:38 AM
512 ... 910111213 ...