Seriously people. We are going from 2.1.0.1753 to 2.1.0.1895. How much of a change do you think it's going to be? Not BB10 or lite and not even browser I bet. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Does that mean it took Rimberry 142 attempts to patch a flash bug?
    03-19-14 01:47 PM
    Does that mean it took Rimberry 142 attempts to patch a flash bug?
    No lol..

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-19-14 01:54 PM
    So I'm just slightly confused......is the .1895 update supposed to be for all models of the PB or just the 3g/4g models? I was never really clear on whether they are all running the same version, with the radio added on for the 3g/4g models, or if they were running separate versions because of the radio and the increased specs.
    J English Smith likes this.
    03-19-14 02:16 PM
    Doubt it's gonna happen, I mean my Z10 uses up 1.2 gb of RAM with just 1 headless app in the background so it's quite difficult to tell whether they can optimise the OS enough.

Even if they do, there isn't guaranteed app support because of different resolutions and hardware functionality with the PlayBook. I don't see it happening...

Don't get me wrong, if JC can turn this around and "show me up" as they say, I would gladly eat my words

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-19-14 02:19 PM
    Doubt it's gonna happen, I mean my Z10 uses up 1.2 gb of RAM with just 1 headless app in the background so it's quite difficult to tell whether they can optimise the OS enough.

Even if they do, there isn't guaranteed app support because of different resolutions and hardware functionality with the PlayBook. I don't see it happening...

Don't get me wrong, if JC can turn this around and "show me up" as they say, I would gladly eat my words

Posted via CB10
    They've optimized enough for 1.5 gb they can go further...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-19-14 02:25 PM
    They've optimized enough for 1.5 gb they can go further...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    But do we know what BlackBerry did to get to 1.5GB? Did they put a limit on the number of running apps? Maybe a limit on the number of accounts in the HUB? Cut out support for headless apps? Maybe now you only get to have 15 Days of email in the Hub....

1.5GB I can see as my Z10 hardly goes close to that, but it is almost always over 1GB (right now at 1.28GB with only Power Tools in the BackGround, three email accounts and Facebook). But to say that they can cut it down (cut out the phone and cellular components for most of us) to 1GB and leave room for other apps, browser, music player... or what ever a BlackBerry user that is use to having multiple apps going is use to. I don't see it!

But look at what Google did with Kit-Kat.
    03-19-14 02:40 PM
    But do we know what BlackBerry did to get to 1.5GB? Did they put a limit on the number of running apps? Maybe a limit on the number of accounts in the HUB? Cut out support for headless apps? Maybe now you only get to have 15 Days of email in the Hub....

1.5GB I can see as my Z10 hardly goes close to that, but it is almost always over 1GB (right now at 1.28GB with only Power Tools in the BackGround, three email accounts and Facebook). But to say that they can cut it down (cut out the phone and cellular components for most of us) to 1GB and leave room for other apps, browser, music player... or what ever a BlackBerry user that is use to having multiple apps going is use to. I don't see it!

But look at what Google did with Kit-Kat.
    I think they've simply made the OS more efficient. The Z3 uses the same latest 10.2.1 so it's hard to say what they actually did to cut the memory usage. All I know is that it's very possible to get BB10 optimized to 1GB if given enough time.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    marknmel likes this.
    03-19-14 02:48 PM
    You guys are crazy to believe BB10 is coming to PlayBook. Doesn't anyone read the News or even use common sense?

Posted via CB10
    Deckard79, Cynycl and kbz1960 like this.
    03-19-14 03:18 PM
    All I know is that it's very possible to get BB10 optimized to 1GB if given enough time.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    yes, the receptionist told me the same thing, lol, the original troll poster forgot to say, a few weeks, or months..."or years"
    03-19-14 03:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    My z10 uses less than 0.8 Gb after boot up. It creeps up to 1.2Gb by the end of day. I think it leaves some apps in memory even after it closes.
    03-19-14 03:49 PM
    While I'm very cautious believing a BB10 update is coming to the PB, I'm still confused as to why BB are still working on updates on an apparently "dead" device?
    03-19-14 03:52 PM
    While I'm very cautious believing a BB10 update is coming to the PB, I'm still confused as to why BB are still working on updates on an apparently "dead" device?
    Only possibility is that there are some Enterprises that still use it and BB is kind of still supporting those unique and possibly important users????
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-19-14 04:26 PM
    for the naysayers. Here you go...we got an update in the makes soon to be out BlackBerry Playbook Update Is In The Works, BlackBerry Bridge Updated | Ubergizmo
    The problem with that article is the author suggests PLAYBOOK users grab the new Bridge. The Bridge app is a PHONE app and is part of the Pb OS and is not a PB download.

Now everyone resume their bent over positions and allow Thor or whomever to continue the reaming process.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-19-14 04:29 PM
    If there is any truth that BBRY may be working on a new Playbook version, then by releasing some scaled down version of bb10 for the old playbook, you may allow for spotlights to naturally return to the playbook, thus making a new one also running on bb10 much more of a natural move...

Posted via CB10
    marknmel likes this.
    03-19-14 04:41 PM
    That's up to management.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Agreed, who knows what Chen has in mind in terms of strategies and approaches...

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 04:44 PM
    That's up to management.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Agreed, who knows what Chen has in mind in terms of strategies and approaches...

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 04:44 PM
    I think they've simply made the OS more efficient. The Z3 uses the same latest 10.2.1 so it's hard to say what they actually did to cut the memory usage. All I know is that it's very possible to get BB10 optimized to 1GB if given enough time.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    i'm probably wrong here but with the Z3 coming out in April. Don't you think the 10.2.1 MR debut will be on the Z3 launch?
    So far 10.2.1.27xx/28xx are being spotted. They might be able to optimize it a tiny bit.
    Since that's usually what the MR is for ( i know i could be wrong but in my eyes at least)
    There won't be any new deal breaking features in a MR but optimizations. I could see something small like panorama (to me thats kind of big but they gyroscope is there already) But other then that no new features.
    Given the phone release history of BB10. Every phone comes out with the brand new OS before any other phone.

What do you think?
    03-19-14 04:55 PM
    To implement BB10 to Playbook. It will require 2GB RAM. Sadly all Playbook are only packed with "1GB" with that being said, it will be impossible to see a playbook running BB10. Sad but true..

"Initiated from my Q10 "
    03-19-14 05:10 PM
    This is what's known as a circular reference!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 05:17 PM
    i'm probably wrong here but with the Z3 coming out in April. Don't you think the 10.2.1 MR debut will be on the Z3 launch?
    So far 10.2.1.27xx/28xx are being spotted. They might be able to optimize it a tiny bit.
    Since that's usually what the MR is for ( i know i could be wrong but in my eyes at least)
    There won't be any new deal breaking features in a MR but optimizations. I could see something small like panorama (to me thats kind of big but they gyroscope is there already) But other then that no new features.
    Given the phone release history of BB10. Every phone comes out with the brand new OS before any other phone.

What do you think?
    You're right. MRs don't add new functionality or features, they only fix what's broken or what didn't make it into the previous release.

There won't be any BB10 components in a 2.1 MR, as it's breaking that cycle.

Would it be the wrong time to mention that a majority of BB10 development was done on PlayBook? There wasn't enough phone hardware to be distributed. You just couldn't get BB10 to run in any decent fashion because of the RAM problem. I suspect that a year down the line, they've made a lot of headway in getting that usage down.

Just don't think we'll see it.
    03-19-14 05:21 PM
    What a crock of ****....

Company unable to sell current hardware decide to invest time and money in a project that was launched 3 years ago, failed 3 years ago and was killed 1 year ago.

Wake up guys it ain't going to happen.

There is no payback for bb over this, none whatsoever. If the CEO was to approve this I'd be dumping all stock I had as he would clearly have lost the plot.

Now off to charge my PB because you never know do you? Lol

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
    03-19-14 05:26 PM
    First, I won't get to high on this until it actually happens.

Second, to all the naysayers who are saying BlackBerry already said no, that was old management, yes even Thorsten Heins is old management! John Chen could take it a whole different direction.

Lastly, OP be damned for bringing us back a slight glimmer of hope lol. I thought I had closure... guess not.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 05:34 PM
    It doesn't necessarily have to be the BB10 browser - but an UPDATED browser that works more LIKE the BB10 Browser (smooth and quick as possible please).
    And the Keyboard, for the love of God, the Keyboard needs to be updated.
    Don't forget a legitimate ad block a la adblock plus.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 05:41 PM
    They need to get ready to run Android 5 Google is working to reduce the size of Android so it can run on cheaper devices on the developing market. This may involve more Google control over apps. Regardless it is tough for BB to cram everything into that 1 GB RAM and get any speed with the outdated processor in the PB.
    Last edited by jpash549; 03-19-14 at 06:38 PM.
    03-19-14 05:43 PM
    They need to get ready to run Android 5 Google is working to reduce the size of Android so it can run on cheaper devices on the developing market. This may involve more Google control over apps. Regardless it is tough for BB to cram everything into
    key lime? when is that even supposed to come out? But what your are talking about is already out with 4.4 kitkat. 4.4 was for the cheaper / older androids that couldn't run jelly bean.
    03-19-14 05:58 PM
512 ... 89101112 ...