The fact that is getting everyone excited is that a new PB OS was certified on March 10, 2014 and is on the internal servers. NOT because of this call centre employee.

- Developer of PinGuin
    nope, just a bug fix
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-19-14 10:04 AM
    At first I thought, what a faux-meme? Here comes CB or some undergrad experimentation. CB trying to kindle chatter in the waning PlayBook forums or the undergrad testing "if it really sticks when you throw it on the wall." Hmm?

Then I got a little hopeful (and a subtly way) but soon remembered that I have been here before. Curiouser, and curiousier as Alice begins to drag me down that proverbial rabbit-hole. With a virtual slap, I awoke.

Now I am a bit sorry, because if it is true, that unassuming tech-support rep may be soon fired. People, please use euphemisms. Say "I overheard a birdie close to HQ say…"

Well stranger things has happened before and they can happen again, but I think I am back into the faux-meme territory. Thanks for the tiny increase of adrenalin and cortisol.
    Cynycl and FF22 like this.
    03-19-14 10:10 AM
    If that were true BlackBerry put a lot of resources in making this OS, but it would gain:
    • massive build of trust from old time playbook owners
    • the effort in compacting the OS will not be wasted and will turn useful on future devices
    • experience in deploying OS10 on tablets, very useful for BB tablet 2
    • a lot of overnight OS10 devices that will make developers happy (maybe)

On the other hand I don't trust these rumors one bit. So I am not planning on acting accordingly
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-19-14 10:21 AM
    nope, just a bug fix
    Hopefully it fixes some of the chit that's been buggin me
    kbz1960 and bambinoitaliano like this.
    03-19-14 10:21 AM
    I guess the good thing is that the PlayBook screen is quite similar to the z10 screen so it won't take too much work to adjust apps for bb10 on the pb

Pb screen: 1024x600

Z10: 1280x768

Ratios are different but the screens have similar #s

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 10:45 AM
    I'd like to make mine fly right at Thor's head!

Posted via CB10
    I'd throw my at Dan and Sebastien first. They're the ones who forgot to make BlackBerry 10 work on 1gb devices already in market without significant refactoring

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 10:50 AM
    I see lag and checkerboard now with all sites on the PlayBook compared to BB10. The PlayBook isn't hugely different than the Z10 STL100-1 model that had the OMAP processor. In fact I would bet that BB10/Cascades would crush the current POS Adobe AIR interface of the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    Cascades was arguably my top wish for that devices. The sluggish air UI seemed such a clash when you compared the performance to some of the PlayBook games.

Always found going from something like Dead Space (quick) to something like Blaq (miserably sluggish) to be jarring to the whole experience

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 10:54 AM
    I call BS. A mod needs to change the title and put it in the fantasy section.
    Jiggy1971 and FF22 like this.
    03-19-14 10:54 AM
    Going thru this thread is definitely a walk down memory lane. I've had my PB for almost 3 years & I'm still reading the same speculative threads in here. Someone posts that they heard or read something about BlackBerry working on an update & imaginations run wild about what may or may not be in it. Then when a bug fix is released there's a combination of some people being mad because nothing changed for them and some posting that everything is better & their PB is now zooming along. I hope BlackBerry releases an awesome update that makes my PlayBook the dream tablet I thought it would be when I plunked down $549 + tax for it. Do I think they will? No. It was announced that BB10 could not be run on the PB in a way that would make for a good user experience. For now I believe BlackBerry is focusing on saving what's left of their smartphone user base. Maybe they'll release a new tablet in the future but I don't believe they'll waste any more resources than they have to on a 3-year-old tablet. Now carry on cuz some things never change.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    03-19-14 10:56 AM
    Flash security update. That is likely all this is.
    diegonei likes this.
    03-19-14 10:57 AM
    Be Careful. Your gonna hurt someone feelings.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 10:59 AM
    If this is true, it would be great. I mean the Playbook is not Dead, its just moving very slowly, slowly but surely. They just released a new update for Bridge. I believe they do have a plan for PB.
    03-19-14 10:59 AM
    There is actually a simple explanation:

OS version 2.1.0.1895 will be security fixes only. The alleged incident with the call center employee is likely referring to some future bridge update.

Problem solved.
    playbook_swiper1 and diegonei like this.
    03-19-14 11:03 AM
    True. It doesn't need much. If they could somehow get cascades in too that would be perfect.
    I'm not sure about that - I have both a Z10 and a PB, and still - I am partial to the PB gui, mostly as the apps can "run" when minimized. ie - I can play a movie in a minimized state on my playbook - and view it! Can't do that on my Z10.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    03-19-14 11:22 AM
    If this is true, it would be great. I mean the Playbook is not Dead, its just moving very slowly, slowly but surely. They just released a new update for Bridge. I believe they do have a plan for PB.
    Tablets are a MAJOR market these days, they had better have a plan for some new tablet if they have a desire to make the BB10 Platform a legitimate mobile platform. But optimizing BB10 to run on 1GB of RAM and still allow users to download and run other applications....

I'd love to see the PlayBook work as well as my Z10 does - or as well as my wife's iPad does. We just update some computers at work, they were 12 year old machines running Windows XP. For the fun of it I installed a copy of Windows 8 on one as it did meet all of the minimum requirements.... it works! But I would hate to have to use it on a daily basis as EVERYTHING is just so slow!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-19-14 11:27 AM
    Well, the way I see it - perhaps even in the right order:

1. F***ed Company - this is the most likely answer...
    2. Whats going on with the latent updates for PBOS? (recent updates for the carrier models) - is the PB still supported?
    3. Whats going on with the recent bridge updates? (hey - bridge almost works from my Z10!)
    4. Playbook 1 - OS update (2.1.x) - seems to be imminent.
    5. Playbook 2 - is there something in the works....

I'd like get something else off my chest - why all the "I want BB10 OS for the Playbook" -?

Hub - really? Use your phone!

The OS is QNX. That's the foundation for the pretty GUI layer on top. The OS is really what counts... in my opinion anyway.
    That means the playbook was merely a beta device for the Z's and Q's you love today. I hope you liked beta testing. :-)

Having said that - the playbook is/was a great device. Still use mine...

So I'm not convinced that Mr. Chen needs to update the legacy devices, but if it's a matter of "getting it for free" by supporting similar devices, then it sounds like a win-win.

/M
    Last edited by marknmel; 03-19-14 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Correcting typo in rant post...
    03-19-14 11:43 AM
    There was statement that PB was not able to run 10.0 because of the 1GB memory.
    Since 10.1 et 10.2 are more optimized and work better (on my Z10)... how about testing it on a PB
    03-19-14 12:25 PM
    Its going to be security updates, nothing more and a bone to BB10 bridge. If its anything more I'll eat crow. Security update will not improve any performance.
    Cynycl and Chrysalis1156 like this.
    03-19-14 12:39 PM
    There was statement that PB was not able to run 10.0 because of the 1GB memory.
    Since 10.1 et 10.2 are more optimized and work better (on my Z10)... how about testing it on a PB
    I think there is some bootloader problem or something. You can't just load 10.1 or 10.2 on the PB.
    03-19-14 12:41 PM
    Seriously people. We are going from 2.1.0.1753 to 2.1.0.1895. How much of a change do you think it's going to be? Not BB10 or lite and not even browser I bet. We'll just have to wait and see.
    kbz1960, Cynycl and diegonei like this.
    03-19-14 01:03 PM
    Its going to be security updates, nothing more and a bone to BB10 bridge. If its anything more I'll eat crow. Security update will not improve any performance.
    No need to wait then, get the playbook OS (cough, cough) update now

PlayBook support said BB10 coming to PlayBook in few weeks or months-images.jpg

Likely to be just as useful
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-19-14 01:04 PM
    Agree, some people always have unrealistic expectation. It's unlikely BB10 will be on the Playbook. We are getting ahead of ourselves. Minor fix and minor tuning to optimize perhaps. Seriously I do not want to hear all the same whining and groaning all over again.
    Did you not read what most people said ? They aren't expecting a full BB10 they want just some bits of it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-19-14 01:07 PM
    No need to wait then, get the playbook OS (cough, cough) update now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	1217 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	256525

Likely to be just as useful
    I stopped waiting and hoping a long time ago.
    Cynycl and rickster21 like this.
    03-19-14 01:11 PM
    Did you not read what most people said ? They aren't expecting a full BB10 they want just some bits of it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    What I'm saying was. It's not going to be BB 10 bits at all. Yes it would be nice, but not going to happen.
    Cynycl and kbz1960 like this.
    03-19-14 01:15 PM
    What I'm saying was. It's not going to be BB 10 bits at all. Yes it would be nice, but not going to happen.
    That's up to management.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-19-14 01:42 PM
512 ... 7891011 ...