...I reckon a minor update and fully working hub through bridge from bb10..:-)

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 04:16 PM
    Regardless of what it is, it's evident that they didn't forget the PB.
    This seems true, and maybe it will shut some of the naysayers up for a while (though probably not). Anyhow, while I don't know the build date, the certification dates from the link you posted were, for 2.1.0.1753, Sept 23 2014, and for 2.1.0.1526, Jan 22, 2013 and Jan 30, 2013. The official wifi OS release date for 1753 was Sept 10, 2013, while 1526 was Feb 13, 2013. This would suggest that something is coming in the next week or two.

So, let the speculation begin. For one thing, while the OP has a limited number of posts, if you look at his posts, they don't seem wacky or trollish in any way. So, assuming that the OP was telling the truth, perhaps what the support person was referring to was that some aspect of BB10 was being brought to the Playbook. So, just thowing it out there, maybe the tech meant that the BB10's android runtime was being released for the Playbook, and the OP interpreted this as full blown BB10. In any event, it could be that neither the OP nor the BB tech were lying, but rather that one or the other merely misinterpreted what is actually in the pipeline. So, if we were to get an updated android runtime, how many of us would be happy with that?
    KDB84 and Marc_Z10 like this.
    03-18-14 04:19 PM
    +1 Agree.
    Try the Origami browser. Completely changed my PB experience.
    djpailo and q649 like this.
    03-18-14 04:29 PM
    Fascinating that ANY mention of updates to the PB pulls 6 pages on CB in no time !

Still many fans.

Hope BB are taking note.
    03-18-14 04:31 PM
    +1 Agree.
    Try the Origami browser. Completely changed my PB experience.
    Its the turbo boost mode more than anything. Being able to toggle the JS/ Flash in one click is immensely useful.
    03-18-14 04:32 PM
    This makes some sense to me: Chen may have handed down an edict "BB10 has to run on lower-end hardware, so make it happen" and since the PlayBook falls into that category as of Mid 2014, BB10 on PB may just be a side-effect of a vital internal BB initiative to facilitate BB10 on low end hardware... it makes sound business sense (where just working hard to get BB10 onto PB for it's own sake does not).
    This makes the most sense to me. If the direction is to optimize BB10 to run on lower end HW in an effort to sell new low end phones, then why can't the Playbook benefit from this? I agree that optimizing BB10 for the playbook alone would be a waste of time, but as a peripheral beneficiary of an optimized BB10 then it is doable IMO. And if the Z3 is going to have 1.5 GB of RAM, then it would not surprise me one bit if "PB 3.0 " ran with 1GB minus a native hub (hub could still be bridged).

It would also not surprise me if the Hub was the stumbling block, and Heinz refused to get rid of it. What a mistake as it not only hindered BB10 on the PB, but it also removed BB10 from the low end market.
    00stryder and nealjane1 like this.
    03-18-14 04:35 PM
    If true, this would be lovely, but I've already come to terms with the idea that Tablet OS 2.1 would be the last major update for the PlayBook.

If BlackBerry leadership does decide to bring BB10 to the PlayBook (it would be a smart move... it would increase the number of BB10 devices in the wild and reward PlayBook purchasers for their loyalty) I'll be commissioning a statute of John Chen for my house.

But I don't expect it to happen.
    mkiiw and FF22 like this.
    03-18-14 05:01 PM
    Fascinating that ANY mention of updates to the PB pulls 6 pages on CB in no time !

Still many fans.

Hope BB are taking note.
    Hopefully BlackBerry have taken note. We can only wait and see, but I think the way the PlayBook community have responded to the original Post shows the committed support for the PlayBook. It can only help the BlackBerry Brand to listen to its most loyal fans...maybe they already have...

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-18-14 05:18 PM
    Even if the current userbase is only 500k then that's an instant 500k users for BB10 and the app ecosystem.

Also, how many bb10 users would look to pick up a cheap PB if it had BB10 on it ??
    First reasonable argument I found in here for getting BB10 on the PlayBook this late in the game. It would could push some stragglers into the new platform. Those guys that for whatever reason are still on the BBOS+PlayBook setup.

If BlackBerry intend to push out Playbook 2. This rumored update is the apology the company needed to assuage many of the disgruntled customers.
    Now this, not so much. If a new tablet is really coming up, pushing new software to EOL hardware is a bad business move, no matter how much you'd love to "kiss and make up" with the PlayBook userbase, it would be a VERY dumb business move.

I don't see Chen as the kind that goes for dumb ideas.

No new tablet this year, then I can see reasoning for BB10 on PB. New tablet this year, then it's BB10 on the "new PB".

I too want to believe, but the business man in me is having a hard time.
    KDB84 and q649 like this.
    03-18-14 05:51 PM
    First reasonable argument I found in here for getting BB10 on the PlayBook this late in the game. It would could push some stragglers into the new platform. Those guys that for whatever reason are still on the BBOS+PlayBook setup.

Now this, not so much. If a new tablet is really coming up, pushing new software to EOL hardware is a bad business move, no matter how much you'd love to "kiss and make up" with the PlayBook userbase, it would be a VERY dumb business move.

No new tablet this year, then I can see reasoning for BB10 on PB. New tablet this year, then it's BB10 on the "new PB".

The last BBRY roadmap that leaked showed a tablet release in Summer 2013 codenamed Black Forest. It never materialized due to the chaos of BB10 sales. So I would think they could release a tablet pretty quickly if they thought it would fly. Remember, TH would not release another tablet that did not have "value". I would say BB10 with android runtime and seamless app install with Amazon App Store would be that "value". Testing it with PBs would make some sense, I think.

Oh, and a tablet with high end hardware is going to come in >$500. A tablet with lower end hardware will come in at <$200. That is where the action is. They don't want to make that mistake again.
    03-18-14 06:09 PM
    at least they can give us the android runtime... i still use my playbook .. by far the sound on the playbook is one of the best..

You are exactly right. All they need is a better browser, android runtime and maybe even a HUB app. They would be golden if they did that
    03-18-14 06:20 PM
    You are exactly right. All they need is a better browser, android runtime and maybe even a HUB app. They would be golden if they did that
    True. It doesn't need much. If they could somehow get cascades in too that would be perfect.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    03-18-14 06:33 PM

I disagree. Whatever improvement the company can make on the playbook is very limited. Certainly do not expect a BB10 on it. There's a reason why this thread is running 6 pages long. Despite the complain about the playbook. It's still a solid tablet that many of us love. If only the tablet can operate like Z30 and beyond. That's where PB2 comes in. I believe many current owners would be interested in a new PB2. A slight update of current playbook as a goodwill gesture from the new Ceo of the company would extend to better support of PB2 launch. How is it a bad business decision?
    03-18-14 06:41 PM
    I disagree. Whatever improvement the company can make on the playbook is very limited. Certainly do not expect a BB10 on it. There's a reason why this thread is running 6 pages long. Despite the complain about the playbook. It's still a solid tablet that many of us love. If only the tablet can operate like Z30 and beyond. That's where PB2 comes in. I believe many current owners would be interested in a new PB2. A slight update of current playbook as a goodwill gesture from the new Ceo of the company would extend to better support of PB2 launch. How is it a bad business decision?
    An excellent decision. But I won't buy PB2 If they don't give the PlayBook a respectable update.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    bambinoitaliano, Cynycl and KDB84 like this.
    03-18-14 06:46 PM
    An excellent decision. But I won't buy PB2 If they don't give the PlayBook a respectable update.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    +1,000,000
    Shade02 likes this.
    03-18-14 07:48 PM
    When I first saw this thread I jumped a little! I'd be AMAZED if they even updated the android runtime. That would give me sooo much more use out of my playbook. Any other features would be a huge plus. I'll try not to get my hopes up though...
    ShadowRaine likes this.
    03-18-14 08:21 PM
    With Chen's renewed focus on core users, receiving "something" for PB early adopters wouldn't surprise me a bit. I make no predictions! Just saying that it fits better now with current focus than it did while BB was still looking for that next hot phone. Delivering anything good to fan base and core users will increase company image and morale -- vital to changing public opinion.
    03-18-14 08:26 PM
    I would be less concerned about a lack of leaks. PlayBook OS builds have almost never leaked because it requires a BlackBerry employee to do it. Phone OS versions leak through the carrier employees who get the os for testing

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 08:35 PM
    Kevin knew I would chime in, so here I am. I see the official update on the books. If it gives us a good Android runtime comparable to BlackBerry 10 and maybe a few UI improvements, then my 4G LTE PlayBook is all charged up and ready to go (as it is every day beside my bed). Otherwise, it's a fantastic expensive alarm clock with a few extra features, and I'm ready to move on. The Z10 didn't help me get there, but the Q10 did.

I used my Q10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    03-18-14 08:48 PM
    Let me tell you what the significance is here.. if blackberry upgrades the playbook to a light version of 10.2.1 os the parts should be the android runtime, browser, and yes remove the hub for playbook. They could updated the packaging and sell those playbooks to emerging markets that will be buying the Foxconn z3. Test pilot.. if successful than bring back the playbook to the states with a new version called Playbook Pro that has full blackberry 10.3 and I have some hardware specs, connectors, docking station ideas for the tablet and phones.

Posted from a Blackberry Z10
    03-18-14 08:49 PM
    F..ken AWESOME if it is true!!

Posted with the brilliance of my Z10
    03-18-14 08:51 PM
    Well a small update is coming. So we will see what tip bit they fix or add on........
    Cynycl likes this.
    03-18-14 08:51 PM
    Hopefully we get info during the earnings call

Posted with my awesome Z30
    03-18-14 09:23 PM
    The PlayBook doesn't have enough ram to run BB10. What do you think Thor and his croonies were doing for 8 months?

I wondered all along during that time... and since... What Really Did They Do??? Anything???

Oh yeah, decided tablets won't exist in 5 years.

Edit: forgot the quote.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bob_tn; 03-18-14 at 09:41 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-18-14 09:28 PM
    Let me tell you what the significance is here.. if blackberry upgrades the playbook to a light version of 10.2.1 os the parts should be the android runtime, browser, and yes remove the hub for playbook. They could updated the packaging and sell those playbooks to emerging markets that will be buying the Foxconn z3. Test pilot.. if successful than bring back the playbook to the states with a new version called Playbook Pro that has full blackberry 10.3 and I have some hardware specs, connectors, docking station ideas for the tablet and phones.

Posted from a Blackberry Z10
    Hopefully they have success with the Z3 before they attempt to screw up with another tablet.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-18-14 09:28 PM
512 ... 45678 ...