Everyone is saying that the high end phone market is saturated. I bet that BBRY has been working to streamline OS10 to fit lower end hardware. So I don't doubt that a version could eventually run on the PB. Just too bad that it takes BBRY so long to do anything. If this streamlined OS10 was ready at launch, they could have taken advantage of the 2 MM PB loyals to buy BBRY devices. Just too late...
    This makes some sense to me: Chen may have handed down an edict "BB10 has to run on lower-end hardware, so make it happen" and since the PlayBook falls into that category as of Mid 2014, BB10 on PB may just be a side-effect of a vital internal BB initiative to facilitate BB10 on low end hardware... it makes sound business sense (where just working hard to get BB10 onto PB for it's own sake does not).
    03-18-14 10:43 AM
    Real or not, thanks for the gossip!
    NinjaB likes this.
    03-18-14 10:52 AM
    Even if the current userbase is only 500k then that's an instant 500k users for BB10 and the app ecosystem.

Also, how many bb10 users would look to pick up a cheap PB if it had BB10 on it ??
    johnnyhead and sk8er_tor like this.
    03-18-14 11:02 AM
    Keeping enterprise and government users is probably more important to BB than what we think on this forum. It is also the justification for a new tablet which would be higher specced than the Playbook and a good deal more expensive.
    KDB84 and BioDave1955 like this.
    03-18-14 11:10 AM
    Pretty much every portion of the phone market is saturated Low End, Entry Level, Middle, Highend and Premium. As for those 2 Million PB loyalists, I think most of use "bought in" on the BB10 revolution anyway, so I don't think that bringing BB10 to the PlayBook is going to sell too many more BB10 smartphones. It WILL make a number of hard core fans happy! And maybe they are working on a new low end tablet anyway.....

And lets face it the number of PlayBooks that are in use today is probable a pretty low number. With normal wear and tear they are nearing their life cycle.... sure some will be going for years to come. But I bet a pretty good number have either been dropped, had their USB Plug go bad, or their Battery fail already. Never mind the business that jumped on the PlayBook band wagon and have since pulled the useless (no apps, vpn issues, slow browser, slow adobe,....) devices from service and just have them sitting on a shelf. Would be very interesting to know how many PlayBooks are active on BlackBerry activation servers. Maybe 500K at this point.
    True for developed countries. But I think they are targeting the third world, developing countries with the cheaper, FoxConn-made stuff. They would have to use OS 7 and it wouldn't make sense to keep that updated along with OS10.
    03-18-14 11:13 AM
    It's not such a crazy idea. If you think about it, there are probably still a few million Playbooks out there,. but app development for the PB has pretty much ceased, and most current users have probably already purchased all of the apps that they're ever likely to purchase. Thus, any cash flow that BB can generate from the PB (outside of the Video and Music Stores) has probably pretty much ceased. The only way to generate additional revenue with the PB would be to update the OS and start selling BB10 apps and android apps that won't run in the current PB's android runtime to PB owners. This may be a case where the pencil pushers decide. How much would it cost to develop BB10 for the PB versus how much revenue that could be generated by doing so. It may simply be a good business decision for them to do so, and this doesn't even take into account the amount of good will that this might generate.
    If BlackBerry intend to push out Playbook 2. This rumored update is the apology the company needed to assuage many of the disgruntled customers.
    03-18-14 11:31 AM
    If BlackBerry intend to push out Playbook 2. This rumored update is the apology the company needed to assuage many of the disgruntled customers.
    Very true. I've all but given up on any further updates, but IF BBRY wants to entice people to move to a Playbook 2, then putting BB10 on the old PB kind of makes sense. Re-gain the user-base trust. Show what BB10 can look like on older hardware, and users MAY look to upgrade to a new tablet with updated hardware. I'm not cynical, but at this point, I'll only believe that BB10 is coming to the Playbook only after I get the update notification on my current PB.
    03-18-14 12:17 PM
    I really want to believe this could happen but then I had a heck of a time as a kid getting my head around the news that Santa Claus wasn't a real guy. BB10 aside I wish they'd just fix the current list of stuff that's broken, half baked or missing but that's not gonna happen either.
    03-18-14 12:27 PM
    Will never happen. Why would a phone operator at a call center even know of information like that? Its more than likely a mistake by someone who was looking at old documents. And add to that, the OP could easily be trolling too.
    EchoesFX, Deckard79 and KDB84 like this.
    03-18-14 01:21 PM
    Will never happen. Why would a phone operator at a call center even know of information like that? Its more than likely a mistake by someone who was looking at old documents. And add to that, the OP could easily be trolling too.
    Agreed - completely implausible.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 01:30 PM
    makes sense to me. I think when I saw that they recently updated the lte version, I knew chances of having at least one more upgrade for both, made sense. I think it is mostly done for those who bought the lte version.
    03-18-14 01:32 PM
    The Z3 says it should never happen but wait. 1.5 gb of ram. It can very well happen.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-18-14 01:33 PM
    The Z3 says it should never happen but wait. 1.5 gb of ram. It can very well happen.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Its not a question of whether it can happen. We've all known they just gave up earlier. Its a question on whether they are doing it and they aren't.
    03-18-14 01:59 PM
    As much as I want to believe in this story it is next to impossible that a call rep shares such an information.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Z30
    03-18-14 01:59 PM
    One source has responded to me that he had heard no such talks at BB
    Still awaiting more sources closer to OS dev to confirm
    Thank you for reaching out to your sources. We all appreciate it.
    dexter likes this.
    03-18-14 02:01 PM
    Not BB10, but make of this what you will:

Welcome to PTCRB
    03-18-14 02:33 PM
    Any update is welcome, hopefully it has something we want is coming.
    03-18-14 02:48 PM
    Any update is welcome, hopefully it has something we want is coming.
    The last PlayBook OS on PTCRB (i.e. released for LTE/3G PlayBook) is 2.1.0.1753, which was certified on 23 September 2013 and released around two weeks later.

So cross your fingers, pray to your deity or deities and hope that this comes within two weeks.
    03-18-14 02:56 PM
    I don't know, a year ago Heins said that the playbook couldn't handle BB10. But with all the time since then and with millions of people using them the current playbook may have evolved. Perhaps it now can handle BB10!

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 03:00 PM
    I was told that it's going to get BB10...
    But wouldn't BB10 break our existing PlayBook apps?

And developers correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think existing BB10 apps are designed for the PlayBook screen size.

I'd much rather just see them fix the little PBOS bugs they never got around to, like profile images in FaceBook, add a Mark Prior Read option to email, fix the Reader Mode on Rotate in the browser, see if they can do *something* with the javascript performance, let us pick our browser identity so hopefully I could watch Amazon Prime videos again, etc.
    03-18-14 03:02 PM
    Not BB10, but make of this what you will:

Welcome to PTCRB
    The last PlayBook OS on PTCRB (i.e. released for LTE/3G PlayBook) is 2.1.0.1753, which was certified on 23 September 2013 and released around two weeks later..
    As you say, it's not BB10, but it does suggest that an update (2.1.0.1895) is coming soon, at least for the cellular models. And then again, who knows, but maybe 1895 is a stripped down version of BB10.
    03-18-14 03:12 PM
    As you say, it's not BB10, but it does suggest that an update (2.1.0.1895) is coming soon, at least for the cellular models. And then again, who knows, but maybe 1895 is a stripped down version of BB10.
    Regardless of what it is, it's evident that they didn't forget the PB.

Although I'd like to see the build date for 1895; the build date for 1753 was in July 2013, while the release was in September-October 2013.
    03-18-14 03:18 PM
    True for developed countries. But I think they are targeting the third world, developing countries with the cheaper, FoxConn-made stuff. They would have to use OS 7 and it wouldn't make sense to keep that updated along with OS10.
    And true of developing countries..... There are many manufactures out there that most of us have never even heard of building smartphones these days. India has several homegrown manufactures. OS7 days were already numbers, even if BlackBerry said they were going to support it for years to come. There are now cheaper device with more features out there, and while BBM was a major factor in those areas, just like here it has becomes less of a factor when fewer and fewer people are using it. There are plenty of people that still want a used BlackBerry that can be connected to a cheap BIS Data plan.... but those folks aren't buying new devices.
    03-18-14 03:38 PM
    I'd hope at least 2.1.0.1895 would include flash fixes/ improvements.
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    03-18-14 03:56 PM
    I've said it dozens of times, but all they need to do is give us the damn BB10 browser on the PB. Is the Browser that processor/memory tasking? Is it that incompatible with PBOS that it requires massive re-engineering efforts?

Posted via CB10
    nealjane1 and Jake2826 like this.
    03-18-14 04:13 PM
512 ... 34567 ...