at least they can give us the android runtime... i still use my playbook .. by far the sound on the playbook is one of the best..
    scmcc16 and pierre5018 like this.
    03-18-14 08:17 AM
    10.3 could be optimized for PlayBook and optimize BB10 for full landscape. That would be... awesome..

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Please please, don't get us drolling.
    03-18-14 08:17 AM
    I would appreciate if BB just bring the goodies to PB.. maybe a few of them. e.g. Updated Android Runtime, Hub, Ability to run some BB10 apps via Libraries. etc... Mobile Hotspot for PB LTE,=.
    Ah, or maybe use the PB as an interactive monitor for your BB10 device, but not restricted to BBM, Files, etc. Interactive screen share kind of. Send home screen to PB and Work/ Play/ Share from there. Know what I mean?
    Nemzy and anon(4044683) like this.
    03-18-14 08:19 AM
    I won't be holding my breath either but I'll take whatever I can get. I currently still use my PB to stream radio and occasionally browse. At this point, I wouldn't BB10 on it. I'd rather just have full blown bridge or mirroring capabilities when paired with a phone, updated browser / android runtime, further performance enhancements, and then maybe an updated hub but that's about it for me. I still prefer the PBOS gestures, navigational and screen orientation capabilities which is more complete over that of BB10 at the moment.
    KDB84 likes this.
    03-18-14 08:22 AM
    So has anyone else seen this? Putting this info in perspective, they wrote playbooks off and took a big hit to their bottom line in the process yet, they are going to update the loss with bb10? Doesn't really make sense to me. Dont get me wrong! Would love bb10 on my playbooks but just can't see it happening
    This is where I stand. As many times as I have been burned by BBRY, I would love to see a slimmed down version for my PB so that I can run BB10 apps, more Android apps, and have a better web browser.

Would the logic behind updating the PB be to test out a PB2?
    03-18-14 08:23 AM
    The Playbook was a development prototype. The Z30 is what the PB should have been, and now, it's as close as we will get. Except for the screen size (5"), it is the PB with OS10, sideloading, screaming browser.

c
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    03-18-14 08:26 AM
    Seriously, why would BlackBerry be revisiting a 3yr old device when the competitions are moving to newer and better tablets? What does it have to gain financially? What's plausible is that BlackBerry might decide to re-market PB completely on the latest hardware and OS.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-18-14 08:52 AM
    The way I see it is the PlayBook it's self isn't that optimized. I think that QNX had come to the point on the phones that they are getting more out of it. So with a little scaling down, I see no reason why this can't happen.

That said, it does feel like the same old song and dance.

Posted with my CB-Q10 using the power of " Q "

I know it exists. But software is optimized and since the Z3 is 1.5 gb of ram. Pushing it to 1gb is technically possible by cutting a few things for the PlayBook BB10.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-18-14 08:54 AM
    How funny... just last week dusted off my Playbook and started using it as online radio streaming audio source... now rumors of bb10?
    Putting the PB back in storage... I'm tired of the disappointment.
    "It's coming in a few weeks, a few months, next quarter, etc......"
    03-18-14 08:55 AM
    Perhaps it's a enterprise move and a "move all these PlayBooks out of the warehouse for god sakes" plan.

Have to admit there are still great things about the PlayBook and if they can invest minimal $ and Chen thinks it will pay off by moving old inventory, then why not?

Seriously, why would BlackBerry be revisiting a 3yr old device when the competitions are moving to newer and better tablets? What does it have to gain financially? What's plausible is that BlackBerry might decide to re-market PB completely on the latest hardware and OS.
    03-18-14 08:57 AM
    The octa-core is technically device #3. The Q20 should hopefully be released before then. A lot of pressure to get that one out.
    03-18-14 08:58 AM
    It is probable that this could be a PR move it would make a lot I mean a LOT of people happy and show they are going to follow through on what they originally promised bring people back in to the flock
    03-18-14 09:13 AM
    Everyone is saying that the high end phone market is saturated. I bet that BBRY has been working to streamline OS10 to fit lower end hardware. So I don't doubt that a version could eventually run on the PB. Just too bad that it takes BBRY so long to do anything. If this streamlined OS10 was ready at launch, they could have taken advantage of the 2 MM PB loyals to buy BBRY devices. Just too late...
    Carl Estes and RyanGermann like this.
    03-18-14 09:18 AM
    Problem: I have a hard time believing that a blackberry call center employee would spill the beans knowing the call is being recorded. He or she would deliberately want to be fired if this were the case. (or something as drastic)

It would be great news on many levels, but in all reality.....this is a really far fetched.

Powered by BlackBerry
    This.

As a former call centre worker I can tell you that an employee would be fired immediately for discussing something like this over the phone. If it hasn't at least been announced, it's not something your pay grade should be talking about.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 09:25 AM
    one word: Browser.
    jmrat24 likes this.
    03-18-14 09:27 AM
    Hopefully that's true, then a Playbook would be my first tablet.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    03-18-14 09:27 AM
    The Internet is no place for rumours. Stick to the facts. PB is dead, and if BlackBerry was working on it, they'd have no reason to hide that given the positive response they'd get by telling the community they were working on it.

Somebody close the thread before it gets out if hand.

Posted via CB10
    SalMan50 likes this.
    03-18-14 09:52 AM
    03-18-14 09:55 AM
    I myself would hope they can do something too, as im only using mine for an alarm clock to date,but with so many people that own tablets maybe the market to improve this poor playbook would be a great thing to do.
    Lets hope its true.
    03-18-14 09:58 AM
    I have 2 64 gig PlayBooks, and my sister bought my 16 gig version from me which now sits disused (and makes me feel a bit guilty for selling her a white elephant) but if it gets BB10 on it, it will like become my favourite tablet again overnight, displacing my Dell Venue Pro 8.

...but when an OP has a low post count and posts news about something so highly 'desired' by the CB community, I have to take it with a grain of salt <cough>native instagram</cough>
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-18-14 10:02 AM
    Everyone is saying that the high end phone market is saturated. I bet that BBRY has been working to streamline OS10 to fit lower end hardware. So I don't doubt that a version could eventually run on the PB. Just too bad that it takes BBRY so long to do anything. If this streamlined OS10 was ready at launch, they could have taken advantage of the 2 MM PB loyals to buy BBRY devices. Just too late...
    Pretty much every portion of the phone market is saturated Low End, Entry Level, Middle, Highend and Premium. As for those 2 Million PB loyalists, I think most of use "bought in" on the BB10 revolution anyway, so I don't think that bringing BB10 to the PlayBook is going to sell too many more BB10 smartphones. It WILL make a number of hard core fans happy! And maybe they are working on a new low end tablet anyway.....

And lets face it the number of PlayBooks that are in use today is probable a pretty low number. With normal wear and tear they are nearing their life cycle.... sure some will be going for years to come. But I bet a pretty good number have either been dropped, had their USB Plug go bad, or their Battery fail already. Never mind the business that jumped on the PlayBook band wagon and have since pulled the useless (no apps, vpn issues, slow browser, slow adobe,....) devices from service and just have them sitting on a shelf. Would be very interesting to know how many PlayBooks are active on BlackBerry activation servers. Maybe 500K at this point.
    03-18-14 10:05 AM
    yes, i too read that this is still a "plan"

High hopes for BlackBerry PlayBook tablet

With the flurry of inexpensive tablets on the market, like Amazon's (AMZN) Kindle Fire and Google's Nexus tablet, the company has slashed prices on its own PlayBook tablet, while introducing promotional offers to boost lagging sales. But the company hasn't given up, planning to migrate the new BB10 operating system over to PlayBook. This provides customers a full range of products, building a mobile ecosystem around its new OS.

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: BlackBerry Forges Ahead In 2014: Investors Should Take A Wait And See Attitude - Seeking Alpha
    Nemzy likes this.
    03-18-14 10:17 AM
    That sound you hear is the sound of many tiny bubbles bursting.
    03-18-14 10:35 AM
    Interesting.... What is their source?

I wouldn't get my hopes up but it would be amazing if that was to happen. I bought my Playbook when the price was slashed because Thorstein said BB10 was coming.

yes, i too read that this is still a "plan"

High hopes for BlackBerry PlayBook tablet

With the flurry of inexpensive tablets on the market, like Amazon's (AMZN) Kindle Fire and Google's Nexus tablet, the company has slashed prices on its own PlayBook tablet, while introducing promotional offers to boost lagging sales. But the company hasn't given up, planning to migrate the new BB10 operating system over to PlayBook. This provides customers a full range of products, building a mobile ecosystem around its new OS.

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: BlackBerry Forges Ahead In 2014: Investors Should Take A Wait And See Attitude - Seeking Alpha
    03-18-14 10:36 AM
    If I were a betting man, my money would be on the call centre employee referencing 2 year old documentation.
    Nemzy, TimJW, KDB84 and 1 others like this.
    03-18-14 10:43 AM
512 ... 23456 ...