I know it exists. But software is optimized and since the Z3 is 1.5 gb of ram. Pushing it to 1gb is technically possible by cutting a few things for the PlayBook BB10.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    My question is whether it will be able to run hub.
    I have no doubt it will run browser and runtime, but I'm not sure if BB will want to released something half baked like that and get egged for it
    03-17-14 10:34 PM
    I have no doubt it will run browser and runtime, but I'm not sure if BB will want to released something half baked like that and get egged for it
    They don't need the hub to be processed on the PlayBook. That can be a bb10 bridge feature if that's too much as a standalone process.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-17-14 10:36 PM
    They don't need the hub to be processed on the PlayBook. That can be a bb10 bridge feature if that's too much as a standalone process.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I think it's feasible even with hub though. Keep in mind that early ports of bb10.0.9.ran fine on the PB
    03-17-14 10:40 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 10:40 PM
    10.3 could be optimized for PlayBook and optimize BB10 for full landscape. That would be... awesome..

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-17-14 10:45 PM
    They could avoid the 'half baked' criticisms by just calling the update 'Playbook 3.0'. It's not BB10, but it has most of the goodies.

Alternatively, they could be working on a light version of BB10 that can run on 1GB of RAM in an effort to get even lower cost phones out into the market (even cheaper than the Z3). If this were the case there is no reason why they couldn't release it to the PB.
    03-17-14 10:50 PM
    It's not such a crazy idea. If you think about it, there are probably still a few million Playbooks out there,. but app development for the PB has pretty much ceased, and most current users have probably already purchased all of the apps that they're ever likely to purchase. Thus, any cash flow that BB can generate from the PB (outside of the Video and Music Stores) has probably pretty much ceased. The only way to generate additional revenue with the PB would be to update the OS and start selling BB10 apps and android apps that won't run in the current PB's android runtime to PB owners. This may be a case where the pencil pushers decide. How much would it cost to develop BB10 for the PB versus how much revenue that could be generated by doing so. It may simply be a good business decision for them to do so, and this doesn't even take into account the amount of good will that this might generate.
    03-17-14 10:51 PM
    So has anyone else seen this? Putting this info in perspective, they wrote playbooks off and took a big hit to their bottom line in the process yet, they are going to update the loss with bb10? Doesn't really make sense to me. Dont get me wrong! Would love bb10 on my playbooks but just can't see it happening

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    Keep in mind they changed CEOs in the meantime, so totally possible, but unlikely

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 11:03 PM
    Anyhow, when I asked if we will get another update for the PlayBook, whether it be the OS or the Android runtime, I was told that it's going to get BB10 and the new Android runtime. I pressed him on how he knew this and he said that it's on the BlackBerry intranet websites.
    Talk like this can get you hunted down around here. Your fingers should twitch in fear even typing out BB10 and PlayB.... can't do it... in the same sentence...
    03-17-14 11:03 PM
    *sniff* *sniff* Smells like bullsh!t.
    03-17-14 11:09 PM
    I would appreciate if BB just bring the goodies to PB.. maybe a few of them. e.g. Updated Android Runtime, Hub, Ability to run some BB10 apps via Libraries. etc... Mobile Hotspot for PB LTE,=.
    03-17-14 11:20 PM
    Take this into consideration...

Heins said that they are not going to launch BB10 on PlayBook I believe ONLY because it would not run efficiently with the PlayBook hardware...that was a year ago...BB10 has come along way, and the new CEO may have pushed the development back into drive!

It really isn't that surprising, and I wouldn't be surprised, but I would be extremely excited if they do update the PlayBook to a version of BB10...

Heins said they cancelled it for that reason, so that means they WERE working on it...so that means there were employees doing this, and maybe they continued working on this and have been able to optimize the OS well enough to launch the update to the PB...

On another note...BB10 may come to the PlayBook in (like others have said) a limited, or lite version...I would like to believe they have optimized the OS to work effectively on the PlayBook...or maybe like someone else said, they will be updating components of the OS to allow for BB10 apps on the PlayBook which would be perfect!!

We have also seen videos of the HUB working on the PlayBook (no functionality really, but it works with the gestures and all!!!)
    So this lets us know that BB10 DOES work on the PlayBook and that they clearly are working on it...maybe BB10 features will come with the Bridge mode only...they could update the apps appearances on the PlayBook to match BB10 easily enough, and then have Bridge as a major feature (just like when it initially launched)...this would make everyone who owns a PB extremely happy...and as they are not marketing it anymore, they will not care if it requires Bridge to be completely functional because those who purchased it before will almost likely have a BB device...

anyways, here is to hoping!
    03-17-14 11:27 PM
    Don't forget BlackBerry know a hell a lot of from new OS rapid release cycle .
    When z10 first launch, you can see with the bugs, issue, system reboot, with Q10 10.1 release , the development still lacks big time. When 10.2 MR release you can tell the OS teams find out the tricks. With today's trick apply on PlayBook OS, we should have something kicking ***.

Android runtime, BBM, newer keyboard, browser, multi language, update cascade, AIR, merge app world. It will create some additional small money. It will make business partner happy, more confidence with BlackBerry and current management, and brand image. We stand behind the product, instead of opps, we are selling the firm's , so we can't do it.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    03-17-14 11:59 PM
    if this is true, watch the blackberry stocks RISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/sarcasm
    03-18-14 12:18 AM
    Well not sure what is going on, but I have three apps running (browser, BBM and Netflix) and memory usage is only 500 mb. So they have definitely optimised this latest version of the OS. I seem to remember past OS versions sitting around 800 mb to 1 gb without any apps running.
    03-18-14 12:22 AM
    Trying to cross my fingers..

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 12:33 AM
    GUYS!!! Please take a minute to not end up disappointing yourselves and then blaming BlackBerry once again lol

Wishful thinking is fine, but thats all it should be, wishful. Don't start making prospects and plans with a BB10 running playbook until it has been officially announced.

Last time we were OFFICIALLY PROMISED, then OFFICIALLY DISMISSED in the matter of months. Don't keep your hopes extremely high, and appreciate/find use of the Playbook for what it currently does :]

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 12:41 AM
    Problem: I have a hard time believing that a blackberry call center employee would spill the beans knowing the call is being recorded. He or she would deliberately want to be fired if this were the case. (or something as drastic)

It would be great news on many levels, but in all reality.....this is a really far fetched.