Three weeks ago, fate put me into Intensive Care for five days, to,,owed since by recuperation in a Veterans Administration hospital. I am posting this from a bed in ward 4E.

On day 2, my son brought me my trusty Storm2 and Playbook 16. Here are a few observations:

-- On day 4, when the battery on the Storm2 died, both units became far less effective. Had to pay full Verizon price for a new battery, and discovered that native apps are not all that useful if you can't sync with the desktop.

-- Hospital wifi filters are very aggressive, eliminate aging use of apps such as YouTube. Should have had more video content pre-loaded to watch.

-- I have to work to be paid, and can't afford a month off. With the playbook, I was surprisingly effective at writing, preparing quotes, staying in contact, etc.

--Editing documents is painful. Very painful. And the PB does not handle a wide enough array of file types. Docs To Go are crude at best. And better file management tools would be nice.

-- The browser needs a lot of work, particularly in navigation.

All in all, while the PB is not a laptop, it was a pleasant companion in a cramped hospital room. Now if hospital TVs only had HDMI inputs...

Dave
    05-22-12 12:28 AM
    there are a couple of 3rd party file managers that work very well

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CrackBerry Forums App!
    05-22-12 01:21 AM
    I use My File Manager to transfer photos from my Playbook to my 9800 and vise versa through a bridge connection. Found it in App World. I have Air Browser installed but have not used it yet. Hope you get well soon.
    05-22-12 02:13 AM
    You should use the tether from Storm and watch youtube
    btw you're correct about PB lacks of good office apps

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Crackberry Apps
    05-22-12 06:59 AM
    Get well soon.

It is a bit disappointing that after a bit more than a year, business tools, particularly editing/writing tools are still in short supply.

Smart Office2 might help but has a somewhat quirky interface.
    05-22-12 08:44 AM
    Indeed. Have you tried using Citrix on PB? If yes, is using MS Office on it a pleasant experience?

To the OP: Get well soon brother.

Get well soon.

It is a bit disappointing that after a bit more than a year, business tools, particularly editing/writing tools are still in short supply.

Smart Office2 might help but has a somewhat quirky interface.
    05-22-12 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD