Hi

I recently got a Playbook and have been reading around the forum after I ran into a problem. Basically, I side loaded some app bar files and they were showing up on my playbook, but when I tried to click them nothing happened. I read that I would need a security wipe, I did that and that didnt help. So, the next step which I read was to force install an OS using DM (debricking).

This is where I ran into problems. I have been trying to install the OS thru DM but it gets stuck on "loading system software". I have tried this twice (once after waiting for 3 hours). The second try is still ongoing and it has been 2.5 hours already, and it is still stuck.

The playbook shows as connected in the blackberry desktop manager and shows the time since connected. From what I have read I could not find any alternatives on how to get it past this stuck stage.

Any help to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance. Following are some of the things I have observed:

1. PB shows as connected in DM
    2. The second time I tried to update it, it went through downloading update very fast (<1 minute), which means it probably read it from the cache.
    3. In the "loading system software" stage of the installation, the green mark actually progressed two times early in the installation, I measured that.
    4. I looked in some folders, and in C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Research In Motion\Application Loader\Cache I found 2 files which in total are 2.48 GB.
    5. The PB was working fine before this, and I had also done an update over WIFI which was around 342 MB, that had installed correctly.

Please help me out as to what I can do to resolve this / any alternatives ?
    08-12-12 11:12 AM
    One time it took overnight to update after a few very long stalls. I don't know why but it nearly drove me nuts.

You could also call rim if you're still in the 90 day or one year warranty period

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    08-12-12 01:36 PM
    ^^ Thanks a lot for the reply...

after aborting the second try...I changed the USB port and connected it to a USB3 port in my comp....

somehow that worked and the installation was over in 15 minutes...

now it is up and running. ... fingers crossed
    08-12-12 01:47 PM
    You have the pb off when plugging in the usb? Are you using laptop or usb hub? Try a different port and don't use a hub. Did you reboot the computer?
    08-12-12 01:48 PM
    ^ I had connected it to my dell monitor which connects to the CPU (so kind of a USB hub)...when I connected directly to the CPU it worked...so I guess you are right it doesnt work on USB hubs
    kbz1960 and FF22 like this.
    08-12-12 01:49 PM
    Glad you got it running. And thanks for sharing the USB PORT change info. Next time I might also use a different usb port. While I don't have any EXTERNAL hubs, I do have some in the front and some in the back of my desktop computer and they probably are different.
    08-12-12 02:51 PM
    Glad you got it running. And thanks for sharing the USB PORT change info. Next time I might also use a different usb port. While I don't have any EXTERNAL hubs, I do have some in the front and some in the back of my desktop computer and they probably are different.

Yep, I've seen computers which use the front USB ports as "USB Hubs" So this is probably what had happened.
    08-12-12 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD