My 16GB PB had gotten quite slow over the years, so I decided to go ahead and wipe it. I've seen numerous threads here where people have been able to restore it's original performance, at least temporarily this way. But, mine seems pretty much the same, using either the stock browser or Origami (pretty much the only thing I'd hoped to do was improve the browsing speed). Even the keyboard still seems slow and twitchy. I only reinstalled two or three apps, and they weren't huge.

Any comments/suggestions? I know I can improve things by turning off Flash and what-not, but I'm pretty certain it was much faster than this when I got it.

Thanx.
    02-18-15 11:39 AM
    My 16GB PB had gotten quite slow over the years, so I decided to go ahead and wipe it. I've seen numerous threads here where people have been able to restore it's original performance, at least temporarily this way. But, mine seems pretty much the same, using either the stock browser or Origami (pretty much the only thing I'd hoped to do was improve the browsing speed). Even the keyboard still seems slow and twitchy. I only reinstalled two or three apps, and they weren't huge.

Any comments/suggestions? I know I can improve things by turning off Flash and what-not, but I'm pretty certain it was much faster than this when I got it.

Thanx.
    It sounds like your main issue is with Browsing, it always was slow, the dreaded blue checker board. OK all that being said, it could be the wifi that your using, it's possible. Maybe you can use this to test your web loading time: It took my PB 46 seconds for the 'Blue Line', to disappear when loading Crackberry, (indicates a web page is still loading). And yes, you can speed things up by turning off, 1. Load Images, 2. Enable Flash, and 3. Enable Java Script, but,,, some stuff you may want to see won't be there.
    02-18-15 01:09 PM
    Are you restoring your old files or starting brand new?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2267
    02-18-15 01:18 PM
    Well, it took mine 1 minute for the blue line to disappear (without java and flash, it took 12 seconds). For what that's worth. My laptop does it 5, so I don't think it's a wifi-or network speed issue.

I didn't restore anything.
    02-18-15 08:20 PM
    Well, it took mine 1 minute for the blue line to disappear (without java and flash, it took 12 seconds). For what that's worth. My laptop does it 5, so I don't think it's a wifi-or network speed issue.

I didn't restore anything.
    So about 11 second difference between mine and yours, and as you can see, stopping Java and Flash makes tremendous speed improvement. I suggested using Crackberry as its one of the slowest Web pages to load. If you do the complete wipe which will then ask you to load the latest PB OS, that's all you can do. Only other scenario would be if you had an App trying to access the Web in the background at the same time your loading a Web page. As far as comparing PB load time to a laptop, hands down the laptop or desktop will always win.
    02-19-15 08:38 AM
    Are you restoring your old files or starting brand new?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2267
    My immediate thought too. If you restore from back up then you can sometimes re-import the slowness. A completely fresh wipe and start again tends to make it faster.

If you've done this and it's still (excessively) slow, then I'm at a loss.

Posted via CB10
    anon(55900) likes this.
    02-19-15 08:41 AM
    My immediate thought too. If you restore from back up then you can sometimes re-import the slowness. A completely fresh wipe and start again tends to make it faster.

If you've done this and it's still (excessively) slow, then I'm at a loss.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree, factory install, which gets you latest PB OS, hold off on Reloading Apps, retest speed if Crackberry page load time. Regardless, PB's browser is what it is.
    02-19-15 08:56 AM
    I'd try an autoloader to truly start from scratch.
    02-19-15 09:16 AM
    . Autoloader for qnx, didn't know they had them for PB on qnx??
    02-19-15 09:21 AM
    02-19-15 09:32 AM
    No need. Just do a wipe without a backup, it'll be a fresh start.

Posted via CB10
    anon(55900) likes this.
    02-19-15 09:52 AM
    Download CFP.EXE using Google Search..
    Rename the file to CFP.exe if it has any numbers or anything else so it is easier to type in command prompt window.
    Move the CFP file to your C:\ main folder temporarily. You can delete afterwards.
    In Windows under the Search tool, type CMD and hit enter.
    Type "cd..", press enter, that should take you to the C:\

Now the fun part.
    Plug in your PB via USB, then Turn off your PB.
    On your computer cmd window, Type in "CFP.exe wipe -a" and press enter.
    Turn on your PB.

This will completely destroy all contents on the Playbook and start it from scratch.

When it's done, just open BlackBerry Link or Desktop Manager and Reload Software and you are good to go.

Works everytime and the PB will be screaming fast again. It may seem long, but actually it is very very easy. Give it a chance, you will love your PB again!

Posted via CB10
    rotorwrench and anon(55900) like this.
    02-20-15 05:56 AM
    What he said. Doing a security wipe just deletes the user installed data and leaves your OS in its current conditions, including bugs or corrupt files, which can definitely cause slow performance . Do a complete OS wipe and reload and I guarantee you'll notice the difference.

I recently did a security wipe on one of my PBs and while experiencing some performance increase, not as good as original. I did an OS wipe and reload and the difference was impressive, especially screen switching and app launching. Browsing was definitely faster, but that's relative, as it was never as fast as my laptop with flash and Java enabled, but I prefer them on.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 12:44 AM