Are you able to stream shows/movies/games etc on your PBs..!?

Posted via CB10
    Yes
    09-19-13 04:09 PM
    Originally Posted by CBCListener
    ...There will come a time when the PlayBook will be unable to do what the next big thing can do, but that's a different discussion.

I hate to tell you buddy, but that day has come and gone! IF BB would have updated to OS10 THEN that would've been a different story...
    As I said...that's a different discussion. The PlayBook is as useful now as it ever was. Apples. Not Pomegranates.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-19-13 04:46 PM
    The PlayBook is as useful now as it ever was. Apples. Not Pomegranates.
    Meanwhile, the alternatives become ever-more useful.
    09-19-13 04:49 PM
    I hate to tell you buddy, but that day has come and gone! IF BB would have updated to OS10 THEN that would've been a different story... but fooling yourself or trying to "up play" the playbooks functionality and usefulness is not gonna make it so lol

the only thing the playbook has got going for it is, it's the cheapest thing right now for a tablet...
    What capabilities and specific apps would BB10 have added to the PB that you would value so highly? Know from other posts that you have moved on to Windows RT but you still must use your PB to retain interest in this forum devoted to a two+ year old device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-19-13 04:55 PM
    Hi all,

I have just bought a 64gb Playbook (still to receive it) after reading this post.

I have a lot of devices including a Galaxy S3, Ipad, Xperia Tablet Z, PS Vita, JXD 7300, Kindle and numerous PCs and laptops which all do the job for which I bought them. None are perfect. Some are too big, some are too small, some too heavy for certain tasks so I wanted something inbetween large and heavy and too small. I looked at a 1st gen 32gb Nexus 7 but wondered if 32gb storage was enough and decided to pay �70 inc p&p for a "refurbished, hardly used" 64gb Playbook and rapid charger.

I want to play the odd game, browse the web, watch a movie, listen to music/audiobooks and read an ebook now and then AND have enough storage to have a decent choice AND for it to fit in my jacket pocket.

I cant think of anything else I could buy for �70 that could fully cover my requirements. I have a better games system, ebook reader, movie player, music player etc but not all in one device. The OP and others are not saying it is the greatest, fastest tablet in history but they said enough to make me realise that is great enough and fast enough for my needs.

Thank you to the OP and to CrackBerry in general for opening my eyes to a device that I would never have thought of.
    FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    09-20-13 09:23 AM
    Hi all,

I have just bought a 64gb Playbook (still to receive it) after reading this post.

I have a lot of devices including a Galaxy S3, Ipad, Xperia Tablet Z, PS Vita, JXD 7300, Kindle and numerous PCs and laptops which all do the job for which I bought them. None are perfect. Some are too big, some are too small, some too heavy for certain tasks so I wanted something inbetween large and heavy and too small. I looked at a 1st gen 32gb Nexus 7 but wondered if 32gb storage was enough and decided to pay �70 inc p&p for a "refurbished, hardly used" 64gb Playbook and rapid charger.

I want to play the odd game, browse the web, watch a movie, listen to music/audiobooks and read an ebook now and then AND have enough storage to have a decent choice AND for it to fit in my jacket pocket.

I cant think of anything else I could buy for �70 that could fully cover my requirements. I have a better games system, ebook reader, movie player, music player etc but not all in one device. The OP and others are not saying it is the greatest, fastest tablet in history but they said enough to make me realise that is great enough and fast enough for my needs.

Thank you to the OP and to CrackBerry in general for opening my eyes to a device that I would never have thought of.
    Hope you enjoy it.
    09-20-13 09:28 AM
    I still use my Playbook everyday. I have it connected via Hdmi to my TV and use it to stream old tv series, while I use my z10 as a remote. I'm trying to find a replacement (as I really hate the browser's chessboard) and it is not going to be easy..if only we could get more little updates.. any way to add more ram to this thing? Lol, 'Cause I still love it!

Posted via my z10 - BBM channel pin C000F331C
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-20-13 12:19 PM
    What capabilities and specific apps would BB10 have added to the PB that you would value so highly? Know from other posts that you have moved on to Windows RT but you still must use your PB to retain interest in this forum devoted to a two+ year old device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    ummm geee....hmmm I dunno, maybe just the fact of having a more updated and robust and possibly faster OS for starters? also from everyone who has a BBos 10 says the browser is loads faster and there is also many other benefits which I'm not gonna start naming everything in this post when you can visit the os10 forums and educate yourself! and no I sold my both PB after BB dropped the ball....BIG TIME! had BB followed through on their promise for PB receiving OS10 then I would have kept them, also if the bridge was fully functional too with the new Z10 I would have bought that too!! but nooooo BB had to screw up!
    09-20-13 04:37 PM
    I used my PlayBook all afternoon yesterday for some ssh terminal work, some secure VNC to a client and some serious content uodates on another client.

I used it last night for web browsing.

I've used it this moning for CB and streaming di.fm for trance Thursday.

First time I've done a battery in a 24 hour period in months.

I can honestly say though, with the BT keyboard attached I was short of nothing I needed for all of those tasks.

PB FTW

tapped using Android Runtime CBForums from my PlayBook
    B Pretto, FF22 and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-26-13 10:58 AM
    Hey all, looks like this turned into the perfect thread to ask my question. At this moment I literally have my pointer over the buy-it-now button on a new 64gig for 150 but can't decide if I should pull the trigger!! I've been a BB user since my Curve back in 08 and love the devices. I've had two Storms since then and am rockin' my beloved Z10 at present. I really like BB10 and was hoping it would make it to the PB. I'm quite disappointed that it won't. My question is: can someone convince me to take the $150 plunge? I'm the type who runs his stuff into the ground and doesn't run to upgrade every 6 months when the next latest greatest comes out. I've been an ardent BB supporter and fan, but am just not sure whether I should spend the money on a device that's pretty much on its way out or whether I can expect to get a few years of solid, useful life out of it.

As I said, I'm really itchin' to pull the trigger, but just want to be sure. Thanks for setting me straight!
    09-28-13 05:53 PM
    Hey all, looks like this turned into the perfect thread to ask my question. At this moment I literally have my pointer over the buy-it-now button on a new 64gig for 150 but can't decide if I should pull the trigger!! I've been a BB user since my Curve back in 08 and love the devices. I've had two Storms since then and am rockin' my beloved Z10 at present. I really like BB10 and was hoping it would make it to the PB. I'm quite disappointed that it won't. My question is: can someone convince me to take the $150 plunge? I'm the type who runs his stuff into the ground and doesn't run to upgrade every 6 months when the next latest greatest comes out. I've been an ardent BB supporter and fan, but am just not sure whether I should spend the money on a device that's pretty much on its way out or whether I can expect to get a few years of solid, useful life out of it.

As I said, I'm really itchin' to pull the trigger, but just want to be sure. Thanks for setting me straight!
    Depending on your intended use the BlackBerry PlayBook is still a fantastic tablet.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    09-28-13 06:41 PM
    I like playing with new tech. The PlayBook was the best at the time, for me. I still use it almost daily and have no intentions of selling it. I will use it till it won't work anymore and then it will join my other paperweights like my point and shoot cameras and dead cell phones. I really like the way it works, swipe seems natural, the os makes sense. Wish they had finished buffing the PB fixing some its small problems. Yeah I think it is still a great device too.
    09-28-13 07:09 PM
    Depending on your intended use...
    The short (and incredibly vague) answer: to get as much use with as many apps as possible out of it.

The long answer, and I'm not holding my breath here: I would love to find nautical chart reader apps to use the device as a navigational tool on my boat. If there are no apps available for this, I suppose I could still use NOAA's online chart viewer while bridged to my Z10, but that would be a pain. A solid weather app with good radar maps would be nice too. The other thing would be to use it for all manner of web browsing and possibly video watching.

I'm still new to the whole tablet world, as I've been leery of sinking money into a device without a full-fledged OS. I'm a photographer, and always figured if I can't run Lightroom on a tablet, then I'm not interested, as everything else a tablet can do seemed too much like a novelty. However, seeing how much my Z10 can do has me thinking outside the box.
    09-28-13 07:20 PM
    The short (and incredibly vague) answer: to get as much use with as many apps as possible out of it.

The long answer, and I'm not holding my breath here: I would love to find nautical chart reader apps to use the device as a navigational tool on my boat. If there are no apps available for this, I suppose I could still use NOAA's online chart viewer while bridged to my Z10, but that would be a pain. A solid weather app with good radar maps would be nice too. The other thing would be to use it for all manner of web browsing and possibly video watching.

I'm still new to the whole tablet world, as I've been leery of sinking money into a device without a full-fledged OS. I'm a photographer, and always figured if I can't run Lightroom on a tablet, then I'm not interested, as everything else a tablet can do seemed too much like a novelty. However, seeing how much my Z10 can do has me thinking outside the box.
    The PlayBook has a full-fledged operating system, but is officially "end of life" and is no longer supported by BlackBerry. There are a fair number of applications on BlackBerry World (I've heard), and you can sideload a small subset of Android 2.x apps, but I don't know if it has what you want.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    09-28-13 07:25 PM
    I will use it till it won't work anymore and then it will join my other paperweights like my point and shoot cameras and dead cell phones.
    This describes me to a tee. (I'm typing this on an Acer laptop purchased in 2005, running XP, using a Bluetooth keyboard from 2002) Usually, this would be enough to ensure getting the most out of a device, but my concern is whether it's too little too late with the PB with the current state of waning app development, support etc.
    09-28-13 07:26 PM
    The PlayBook has a full-fledged operating system, but is officially "end of life" and is no longer supported by BlackBerry.
    That's my concern right there. Yes, I am interested in sideloading Android apps to enhance the amount of available apps and hopefully stretching the lifespan that way. Does anyone know approximately how many native BB apps there are currently available for the PB?
    09-28-13 07:32 PM
    This describes me to a tee. (I'm typing this on an Acer laptop purchased in 2005, running XP, using a Bluetooth keyboard from 2002) Usually, this would be enough to ensure getting the most out of a device, but my concern is whether it's too little too late with the PB with the current state of waning app development, support etc.
    For that price on a 64 gb units you can go wrong. As to the app development, well it may be waiting now, but there are a good number of solid apps in
    App World.Check out the ones you are interested in there. There are only 2 other tables out there with an HDMI. Output, Sony hi dollar and a windows tab with windows 8 YECH!

For the money you can't go wrong. Even if it last two three years you will be happy.

C
    09-28-13 07:41 PM
    That's my concern right there. Yes, I am interested in sideloading Android apps to enhance the amount of available apps and hopefully stretching the lifespan that way. Does anyone know approximately how many native BB apps there are currently available for the PB?
    Go to BlackBerry App World for the Playbook and you will see the various categories and such.

C
    09-28-13 07:42 PM
    Go to BlackBerry App World for the Playbook and you will see the various categories and such.

C
    On the computer he means.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    09-28-13 07:44 PM
    I use my PB daily, and would be lost without it.
    The day starts with the playbook propped outside my shower door running Blaq so I can catch up with twitter feeds. I browse google news and catch up on email over breakfast, then its a quick check of weather and any appointments/assignments I have for the day.
    I covered in a separate post that the PB has replaced my laptop for respiratory therapist school. Two apps in particular have proven invaluable: qPDF Notes and Evernote.
    After class the playbook is propped up on the kitchen counter, either displaying the recipe for dinner, or streaming a fav episode of Doctor Who while I cook. I have the Targus case that let's you set what angle you want the playbook sitting at - best 10 bucks I ever spent!
    At the end of the day I catch up on Facebook (using the Origami browser - we all know how horrid the built in app is), maybe catch another Doctor Who or a movie, and then its on the charging cradle to juice up for the next day.
    No exaggeration - my 2 yr old 16GB Playbook lasts a full day of fairly heavy use on a single charge.
    Some must-haves for the Playbook from my perspective:
    Apps
    - Origami browser
    - qPDF Notes
    - Blaq Twitter client
    - Evernote
    - Files and Folders
    Accessories
    - Charging cradle (an absolute must-have, spares the USB port and is available cheap on Amazon)
    - good case that let's you prop the playbook up on a desktop
    - a Blackberry handset (OS7.1 for most functionality) to take advantage of the Bridge features - you'd be surprised how much you'll use his!

I am not that guy who absolutely has to have the latest, greatest. If I find something that works I'll stick with it. The Playbook is a freaking workhorse tablet, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!
    09-28-13 09:03 PM
    Done! Will arrive in about a week. Let's see what happens
    09-28-13 09:27 PM
    Still using mine every day. I loved the full bridge with my Bold 9790, but I haven't forgotten the flak they took over that from day one....endless "can't do email without a BB" threads. But it can do this: megashare.info. And that one site alone has more than made up for the $118 I paid for my current 32GB device.
    09-29-13 12:07 AM
    I recognize that it is behind the times but I use it all the time as a kobo reader and I rent movies through the video store cause it hooks up to my TV so easily. I will probably continue using it for another 6 months to a year before I upgrade to another tablet. I really wish that there was a bb10 tablet but that is just a fantasy at this point.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-29-13 10:13 AM
    I use my Super BlackBerry PLAYBOOK daily..... For so many activities.
    Music, camera, video, voice recorder, emails, bridge with my Torch 9860, etc.... I had it since 2years ago and still works Great....
    I use my UltraBook Chromebook Acer C7 along with my PB, daily.
    I'm waiting for the 4g LTE model to upgrade. Anyone knows when we gonna have it here in USA?...

10-01-13 01:48 AM
    I did buy it for 150 too. 64gb. Loaded a bunch of music and all my fotos and bids to it. And many games that are on z10 are on PB too. I use it more than my laptop. I like it but is up to you. I wish Skype could of been side loaded in on app store but cannot video chat with other people. The only sore point

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 10:49 AM
75 123