Recent study on tablets for BYOD security.

Didnt take into account the 2.1 update of course.

Context
    BigAl_BB9900, juacas and sugbo like this.
    10-05-12 04:57 AM
    Interesting find. RIM intented it like this from the start. But the press had diiferent ideas. I'm still puzzled by the PlayBook, it was marketed as described in the article, it was judged for not being an iPad, it is a nice media device, it runs on QNX, the OS is not good enough for phones, so they redefine the whole OS for phones and tablets (BB10), apps are largely compatible between PB OS and BB10, but not completely. What did RIM had in mind with the PlayBook?
    10-05-12 06:15 AM
    As an entrepreneur I can tell you that the PlayBook Is the only tablet that I allow in my company. Period.
    blusls, SCrid2000 and sugbo like this.
    10-05-12 09:00 AM
    I'm interested, just what do you use it for? What apps are helpful for your company?
    10-05-12 10:34 AM
    Well, I can't speak to his business, but for my security company, we have an iToy for our field management to write their reports on a specifically made app. I can assure you that if the app dev made a PB app, we wouldn't have the otherwise useless iPad.
    To track our patrol fleet, the iToy as usual, requires an app from the tracking company, but my PlayBook does not. The PB loads the webpage, logs in and locates a car faster than the iToy does with it's dedicated app.
    The PB's ease of network tie in is also a big plus for us. I can transfer files painlessly. No matter what I do, I cannot get the iToy to do the same.
    Apple is getting better at security, but for our concerns, BB is still King.
    10-05-12 11:09 AM
    I am not sure what you are saying. The iPad has an app for tracking while the PlayBook must (unfortunately?) rely on a webbased solution. Despite the lack of a dedicated app you use the PB, primarily because of security issues.

That's interesting, didn't realize that some services that are crucial to companies are also available as web solutions. Would you say that BlackBerry is not/has not stressing this enough, because I can imagine that many entrepeneurs will think 'no app, no service'. Hence they choose iPad over anything else. Once they realize that there are webbased solutions they might reconsider their choice. Or is the choice unrelated to this option.
    Last edited by Have_a_nice_day; 10-05-12 at 05:32 PM.
    blusls likes this.
    10-05-12 03:08 PM
    I am not sure what you are saying. The iPad has an app for tracking while the PlayBook must (unfortunately?) rely on a webbased solution. Despite the lack of a dedicated app you use the PB, primarily because of security issues.

That's interesting, didn't realize that some services that are crucial to companies are also available as web solutions. Would you say that BlackBerry is not/has not stressing this enough, because I can imagine that many entrepeneurs will think 'no app, no service'. Hence they choose iPad over anything else. Once they realize that there are webbased solutions they might reconsider their choice. Or is the choice unrelated to this option.
    I know Quickbooks is like this, all they advertise is the iOS and android apps. If you go to the site with the PB it sends you to a webapp for iOS, works perfectly on the native browser. I was able to access from my 9650 today too, not nearly as pretty tho.
    10-05-12 06:35 PM
    The point being..........itoys NEED apps. The PB does not. (in far more cases, the webpage version works just fine and in the tracking case, better because I get the full features of the web options. The iOS app is limited)
    It's by no means 'unfortunate' that my PB can do the same thing without an app, that's a plus!

I did a presentation today with my PB hooked up to a projector. I remotely controlled it from my 9900 15 feet away. The next presentation was done by a manager using his beloved iPad......and an app, and had to sit 4 feet from the projector. PlayBook for the win.

I have an iPad too. But for my job, the PB .......just works.....better.
    spatialmongrel likes this.
    10-05-12 06:51 PM
    I'm interested, just what do you use it for? What apps are helpful for your company?
    I use Box daily, it's the cloud service that I chose for my company. For our presentations I always use my PB bridged to my phone as a remote control. I have told all my employees not to use the native mail, contacts and calendars, not because I don't think they're not good or secure enough, but simply because all of them have BB's and the mail, calendar and contacts thru Bridge is flawless and extra secure!!
    My business partner and I use Splashtop as a remote desktop manager, now my laptop never ever leaves my office, I only carry my PlayBook around. I use this small carry all and it fits perfectly. We also use Print to go, very useful and a PDF creator cause sometimes we need to scan receipts while we're out of the office. And I admit that I have a bunch of games cause when I'm waiting for a client I just want to play hehehe.
    FlyBoy190 and spatialmongrel like this.
    10-05-12 07:38 PM
    Thanx for the input guys,I really appreciate this.
    10-07-12 05:04 AM
    Nice to see some in business know you don't need an app for everything you need or want to do. Apps are important and needed, just not for everything under the sun.
    10-07-12 06:55 AM
    Well, I can't speak to his business, but for my security company, we have an iToy for our field management to write their reports on a specifically made app. I can assure you that if the app dev made a PB app, we wouldn't have the otherwise useless iPad.
    To track our patrol fleet, the iToy as usual, requires an app from the tracking company, but my PlayBook does not. The PB loads the webpage, logs in and locates a car faster than the iToy does with it's dedicated app.
    The PB's ease of network tie in is also a big plus for us. I can transfer files painlessly. No matter what I do, I cannot get the iToy to do the same.
    Apple is getting better at security, but for our concerns, BB is still King.
    i find it ridiculous that people are obsessed with having a dedicated icon for every single function they want to perform. is it just too hard to go to the website? do you really need the nfl app when even the full site loads fast?
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    10-07-12 08:42 PM
    i find it ridiculous that people are obsessed with having a dedicated icon for every single function they want to perform. is it just too hard to go to the website? do you really need the nfl app when even the full site loads fast?
    The app generally works faster than the site, is optimized for touch, scaled and formatted viewing on small screens and in multiple orientations, and may even retain data when offline. An app may not be absolutely necessary, but its always best to have one.
    10-07-12 09:02 PM
    I will tell you what - give me a gps app with the maps on board and I will be more than happy that I do not have to rely on being online to get routing info when in the middle of nowhere. Websites do not provide every function known to man or woman. I rather have my books with me and not in the cloud when I'm in the wilds of Glacier National Park with no wifi and no 3g. This aversion to apps can also be carried too far.
    Have_a_nice_day likes this.
    10-08-12 12:23 AM