I used to own a Playbook around 2011-2012 before I gave it away, but I've been feeling nostalgic about it today. I've been thinking of getting one for cheap for the purposes of gaming (which I remember it was a decent gaming tablet) and listening to music. Sadly I heard the browser is really outdated so I don't think I'll be using it for that, so it'll be strictly an entertainment device.

Does the Playbook still make a good gaming tablet in 2017? I remember playing games like Need for Speed and Modern Combat, but there were a few others on there that I wanted to play. Also, I saw that Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter was in the store, so if anyone has that game, can anyone tell me if it runs well/ looks decent?

Also, how many hours of battery life should I expect with the Playbook considering its age?

Thanks.
    Last edited by TBerry4949; 01-08-17 at 12:50 PM.
    01-07-17 10:09 AM
    I would say that you'd have more trouble getting games than running them.

Also, the hours can vary depending on condition and usage, etc.
    Frankly I'd try something else, but to be fair I do have a Palm Pre 2 for some old games on it.
    01-07-17 12:07 PM
    I would say that you'd have more trouble getting games than running them.
    What do you mean by having trouble getting them? Have they been removing games? Is the app world still available to access on the Playbook?

I'm not interested in sideloading or looking for the latest games. I wanted to see if I can play some of the games on the App World that I liked or look interesting. Otherwise I could spend a few extra hundred dollars and get an iPad Mini, but I don't have that kind of money right now.
    Last edited by TBerry4949; 01-08-17 at 12:50 PM.
    01-07-17 01:29 PM
    What do you mean by having trouble getting them? Have they been removing games? Is the app world still available to access on the Playbook?

I'm not interested in sideloading or looking for the latest games. I wanted to see if I can play some of the games on the App World that I liked or look interesting. Otherwise I could spend a few extra hundred dollars and get an iPad Mini, but I don't have that kind of money right now.

Posted via CB10
    It now called BlackBerry World and if you proffer some game names, some kind person just might check their availability for you... As for the browser???... Turn of Java Script and it's fine, and probably even more secure. Only turn on Java script for sites/pages where you need that functionality. In my experience JS has become another method for pushing Ads, tracking and general rubbish you didn't seek in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 09:24 AM
    Blackberry playbook is back !
    Youtube videos available fast and clear at yaaya.com
    And you can even download videos right off the site.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 12:45 PM
    Some of the games I want to have (some of which I loved playing back then) are:

Dead Space
    N.O.V.A. 3
    Modern Combat 2
    Asphalt 6
    Need for Speed Undercover
    Carnivores Dinosaur Hunter (don't know how it performs, hopefully decent)
    Tetris
    Pew Pew
    Galaxy on Fire 2
    Plants vs Zombies

I actually checked the BlackBerry World store website and it they're still up there apparently and Playbook compatible. Sadly it seems N.O.V.A 2 isn't there anymore.

I think I might go ahead and just get one even though they're outdated, but they're very cheap now and I miss handling the Playbook, so I think it should make a good affordable gaming tablet.
    01-08-17 12:48 PM
    I still use mine strictly for games, videos and music, and occasionally as a white noise generator to help me sleep. Any of the games and apps I have still work fine, and the battery lasts me for weeks (although to be fair I only use it for short periods of time daily.) I would think that if the games are still in BB World they'd still work. In fact, one of the games I have, Xploding Boxes, still gets updates from time to time.
    01-08-17 12:57 PM
    I use my Playbook most for watching movies, email, browsing, and gaming. It does not get as much use as it used to get when I first got it. Not because of anything that the Playbook can't do but because the need isn't there for the Playbook like in the beginning.

Gaming wise I don't play a whole lot games.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 02:26 PM
    I think I might go ahead and just get one even though they're outdated, but they're very cheap now and I miss handling the Playbook, so I think it should make a good affordable gaming tablet.
    Make sure to get the official PB charger (1.8A) charger with it. Other so called mini USB adapters simply don't "cut the mustard".

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 02:27 PM
    Get a rapid charger that uses the magnetic port. Is quicker and reduces strain on your USB port.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 07:56 PM