I love my playbook, but it takes so friggin long to turn on... Like 2-3 mins. Anyone else have this issue? Is there a way to fix it? It's actually embarassing when in public.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-23-12 05:00 PM
    That is the playbooks bootup time. Its pinfully long, but its not a bug. And no you cant fix it or make it faster.
    the_thunderbird likes this.
    10-23-12 05:12 PM
    Why would you need to boot up in public? You just need tp put your PB in "standby" and the wake-up is instant. The PB is designed to not require a shut down - just a "sleep".
    FF22 likes this.
    10-23-12 05:46 PM
    Good point. I hardly every turn mine off.
    10-23-12 05:57 PM
    I second that question.....why are you starting your PB in public? Sometimes, I go weeks without ever shutting my PBs down.

But yes, it is a long start up.
    10-23-12 05:58 PM
    well its normal as everyone stated but imo its still way to long if you compare it to the os mobile OS...
    sure you dont have to turn of your device because of the good working standby, still it shows imo that the OS needs more optimizing.
    10-23-12 06:03 PM
    oh! I just assumed it was like any other laptop or tablet. I always shut it down lol.

I'll keep it on then.

How does it effect battery life?

10-23-12 06:49 PM
    It really does suck how long it takes to boot-up but only have to do that maybe once in awhile.
    10-23-12 06:54 PM
    A few percentage points are lost overnight on Standby. That is with leaving bt and wif ON all of the time. If you notice any loss that seems too large, come back as there might be things that continue to run.
    10-23-12 07:01 PM
    thanks guys! I love this site, always a solution to almost every problem

10-23-12 07:46 PM
    cover your playbook with your iphone in public if you are embarrassed. seems to be the kind of thing people are doing
    10-23-12 08:44 PM
    I always show off my pb! That is how I got two family members + two friends to buy pbs. And when bb10 is released man will be impressed
    10-23-12 09:00 PM
    It is rarely that I shut my pb down. There is no main reason too.
    10-23-12 09:06 PM
    ok bitter betty
    10-23-12 10:31 PM
    I remember there was an article on this site that said the poor start up time was caused by PlayBook trying to load all of its drivers at once during boot time. The article even had a funny photo of Kevin Michaluk falling asleep while holding a still booting PlayBook. It's a well known problem.
    10-23-12 11:53 PM
    I remember there was an article on this site that said the poor start up time was caused by PlayBook trying to load all of its drivers at once during boot time. The article even had a funny photo of Kevin Michaluk falling asleep while holding a still booting PlayBook. It's a well known problem.
    i think Umi wrote that one
    10-23-12 11:58 PM
    I use the restart function to motivate me to get started in the morning. I use the alarm clock function so the PB sits beside me charging all night. When i get up i start reading emails, news, facebook etc. With the long start-up time i will restart so i don't stay in bed thinking "theres just one more thing I want to check". Now I have at least three minutes to get ready for the day.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-24-12 06:52 AM
    cover your playbook with your iphone in public if you are embarrassed. seems to be the kind of thing people are doing
    That's funny, because the only time my wife really grumbles about her iPhone is when she watches my Bold 9900 boot and grab AT&T about 2X faster.
    10-24-12 09:08 AM
    This slowness has only one purpose: testing our patience. I think that RIM people are kind of Jedi.
    10-24-12 09:53 AM
    Yes - all three that the New York Times talked to ... of 80 million. Heavy on the science they are. :-)

I don't know why people get so worked up about the startup time. I almost never turn mine off, just put it in standby. It's not like my old bold where that thing would reboot every time it installed an app or needed a battery pull to work right. It generally moves along fine.

Be nice if they improved the boot time, but I'd rather see other things first, like a more stable browser.
    10-24-12 10:11 AM
    This is one well known aspect of the Playbook I hope changes with the next update (or whenever BB10 is implemented). I pretty much always keep mine in standby because of this.
    10-24-12 07:23 PM
    Turn off Wifi, turn off bluetooth, close all apps, (turn off 4G if you have a 4G PB), and just put it into standby. It should be able to keeps it charge for over a week if you start at 100%. Drain rates on standby with all apps closed and all wireless off is a couple of % a day.

As for everyone who is complaining about the slow start up speed. RIM has already answered this question. The Playbook OS loads pretty much all drivers at bootup, hence it takes so long. In BB10, they have only loaded essential drivers on start up with everything else on delayed or as needed start up basis. Start up times on the BB10 have been reduced to around half a minute, and RIM has mentioned they will continue to make improvements to lower the start up time. If the Playbook ever gets BB10, you will see faster start up times.

*(I say "IF" only because right now, the Playbook OS has great functionality and everything is scaled nicely. I can't really imagine how they will scale the BB10 OS up for the size of the Playbook tablet, and I would really hate for the app switching carousel to go away as well as the swipe to the left/right to switch apps. I suspect RIM will keep separate OS builds for the Playbook and the BB10 devices, though they will load updated modules into the OS. E.g. browser engine, adobe air, changed APIs, etc. Who knows. )
    10-24-12 08:05 PM
    Hi there, i know what you mean. But at least you are up and running, I've had mine about 3wks now and cant even get it connected to my computer.
    Any help would be massive.
    01-17-13 12:59 PM
    Hi there, i know what you mean. But at least you are up and running, I've had mine about 3wks now and cant even get it connected to my computer.
    Any help would be massive.
    You might be better served by starting your own thread and describing in the title what the problem is.

But what have you done? What shows or does not show on the pb screen? Have you charged it fully, say overnight?
    01-17-13 03:15 PM