Only just got the Playbook and it is a really nice piece of hardware, I must say, for �169!

I am sure that this must be me and I must bemissing something � I am running the latest official OS 1.0.8.6067

If I touch the power off button, I get three icons shown on the playbook :-

Turn Off � obviously turns the playbook off
    Standby � I thought that this would do the same thing as when touching the battery icon and selecting standby i.e. put the Playbook into standby mode, so it can be brought out by swiping down from the top to the bottom bezel.
    Restart � again, onviously restarts the Playbook

However upon touching the standby button, the Playbook says restarting and it does indeed restart instead of going into standby mode.

If anyone else seeing this behaviour, or is it just me!

Thanks
    01-06-12 11:46 AM
    Very strange- are you sure your are clearly hitting the standby icon and not the restart, as they are close by.

Anyways I suggest you give it another shot. When you hit the standby, the screen will go dark immediately, and will awake if you swipe or plug into a charger.

If this dosent help or address the issue, I would suggest that you try the following-
    * Shut down the PB and restart
    * Do a Hard reset= Hold the power, volume +/- buttons (both) for 10 seconds until the PB shuts off, then after a minute restart the device.

Let us know if it fixes your problem.

Good luck !
    01-06-12 11:54 AM
    Not here. When I touch the power button mine goes into standby, no icons. I only get the three icons if I touch the battery icon, and when I select standby from there it goes into standby, no restart. Maybe try reloading the OS or call BB Support.
    01-06-12 11:57 AM
    Hi There, thanks for the quick replies - sorry I was not being very clear about the actual issue.
    If I press the on / off button on the top of the playbook, by the volume buttons, the Playbook goes into standby mode and can be brought out of it by swiping from the top to bottom bezel.

I am talking about the last large icon that is shown on the main Playbook screen and it is titled "power off" and is a red and grey colour icon.
    If I press this ICON then I get a selection of three other buttons and tapping the standby button restarts the Playbook, instead of putting it in standby. I have done a hard reset and it is still the same - not a majot issue to me , just annoying, nire than anything else!!
    01-06-12 12:31 PM
    I am talking about the last large icon that is shown on the main Playbook screen and it is titled "power off" and is a red and grey colour icon.
    If I press this ICON then I get a selection of three other buttons and tapping the standby button restarts the Playbook, instead of putting it in standby. I have done a hard reset and it is still the same - not a majot issue to me , just annoying, nire than anything else!!
    I have never used than button/icon. It was one of the first things I deleted, I never saw a need for it since there were easier ways to turn it off.
    01-06-12 12:54 PM
    It's a known issue... just ignore or delete that icon and instead tap on the battery symbol in the status bar at top, and use the buttons there.
    01-06-12 01:00 PM
    Hi There, thanks for the quick replies - sorry I was not being very clear about the actual issue.
    If I press the on / off button on the top of the playbook, by the volume buttons, the Playbook goes into standby mode and can be brought out of it by swiping from the top to bottom bezel.

Try clicking on the battery icon on the top right hand corner of the PB home screen. It will open a window with restart, off, standby options. See what happens to your PB if you try to put it into Standby from this pop window options.

Accessing the off/on features using the battery icon is easier and mostly done (at least by me) rather than using the home screen power button (large icon).
    01-06-12 01:04 PM
    Thanks for thew quick replies. I agree that there are easier ways to put the Playbook into standby mode and the battery icon works fine to put it into standby.
    It is just funny that a bug as simple as that got into a build release, but no big deal really.
    Thanks Again
    01-06-12 01:25 PM
    I noticed that problem too. The stand-by button does a restart. After trying it twice and deciding it was an operating system bug, I've been exclusively using the battery icon to activate stand-by mode and haven't had any further problems.
    01-06-12 02:29 PM
    Noticed this myself the other day.I've found the buttons placement on the home screen awkward and prefer to use battery icon in top dropdown menu which works well. I also like to use same menu to disable wifi to conserve battery power.
    01-06-12 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD