Am i missing something or when you press the power button the PB instead of going to standby (low power consumption) it just dim the screen ?
    Is there a standby at all ?
    On the OS that the PB came with , when you hold the power button , there was 3 options - standby, restart, power off. Now (on the latest os) there is only 2 - restart, power off.

What is your average battery time ?
    05-31-11 03:47 AM
    Power button makes it go into standby. I don't know about you, but I've had my Playbook going without charge for days now because the majority of the time it just sits on standby.
    05-31-11 04:50 AM
    Battery depends on your usage and your settings (screen brightness, wifi,...).

I would say
    100h standby
    8h normal use (surfing)
    4h heavy use (3D gaming)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-11 05:41 AM
    more distressing to security is when it sleeps on its own, after 5 min or even 30 min of inactivity, it does not require the password to wake no matter what setting you put on the PB. For "security" is our rationale for everything RIM, this seems like an oversight of major proportions.

For the most part habicht seems to have the battery life right except the pure stand by which i have not tested but i wouldn't go more than 2 days without charging if you plan to use the device at all, 100 hours seems optimistic.
    05-31-11 07:41 AM
    I have to put the password into mine after inactivity.

05-31-11 07:52 AM
    i used to love how my pb would wake up from the standby mode with just a simple touch. but after the latest os upgrade, it refuses to do so and requires pressing the power button

is something wrong with my pb or the latest os? tia
    06-01-11 01:35 AM
    i believe u have to swipe from bezel to bezel to wake it up...

but mine wont go to security lock with password
    06-01-11 01:46 AM
    I have to put the password into mine after inactivity.

THis si not working for all users, it seems either some PB's are not actually sleeping, just the screen, or the password feature is just not kicking in upon Standby Time-Out.

I have mine set to Enable Password - Yes
    Lock After - 30 Minutes

It will only lock if i use the Hard Sleep button, otherwise it just sleeps. If someone more capable than i could create a poll it would be interesting to see the results.
    06-01-11 08:25 AM
    At least yours goes to sleep!! I hit the power button the screen shuts off and then 15 seconds later the screen activates itself!!! My battery life is just horrible. Can't wait for the next OS update.
    06-01-11 09:30 AM
    more distressing to security is when it sleeps on its own, after 5 min or even 30 min of inactivity, it does not require the password to wake no matter what setting you put on the PB. For "security" is our rationale for everything RIM, this seems like an oversight of major proportions.

For the most part habicht seems to have the battery life right except the pure stand by which i have not tested but i wouldn't go more than 2 days without charging if you plan to use the device at all, 100 hours seems optimistic.

Seems strange. I don't have my PB with me now so can't tell you the settings to try but I could set mine to require a login on wakeup. Found it annoying though so I don't lock it.
    06-01-11 09:40 AM
    I've had to enter my password twice already this morning to get into my PB. It goes dark after 5 minutes and the password is needed after an hour (I recently upped it from 30 minutes).

Could some 3rd party app be interferring with the entire standby process? Some folks have indicated that they can use SilentNoise to keep streaming media alive and avoid standby. Maybe there are other apps that have similar affect????
    06-01-11 10:57 AM
    1) Press power button to stand-by and it will require password after wakeup swipe.
    2) Under screen settings you have a backlight timeout which occurs after the specified period of activity; a wake up swipe will not require password if the period of inactivity is less than the "lock after" time setting you placed under "security/password"
    06-01-11 04:03 PM
    Actualy the so called "stand by" mode is not at all stand by. I came home and decided to test the so called stanby .. so whitout pulling my PB out of my bag first thing that i did after i went home was to check my Wi-Fi to see is the PB connected .. and what a surprise - the PB was connected and i was able to browse Wi-Fi shares. And all this without touching my PB.. this mean that when the PB is in "stand by" it actualy scans wifi networks, services are running - more like a dimmed screen and not at all stand by.
    Is there a suspend or hibernate like function in PB .. i press it and the blackberry sleeps - no runnig apps, no networks scans , nothing.
    06-01-11 04:18 PM
    Power button makes it go into standby. I don't know about you, but I've had my Playbook going without charge for days now because the majority of the time it just sits on standby.
    I think you also need to disable WiFi and close all open apps to go into standby. It's actually pretty frustrating, since there's no indicator other than the device heating up as it drains the battery while sitting unused in my bag for 4 hours.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-01-11 05:55 PM
    The screen you are looking for is under: Options > Security...Lock After

if that doesn't work, you have to use Desktop Manager to reset your PlayBook.

Mine wasn't going into a locked standby, I did the full re-install and it works like a charm now.

I have mine set to:
    Backlight Time-out: 20 seconds
    Standby Time-out: 90 seconds
    Lock after: 5 minutes
    06-01-11 09:34 PM
    The screen you are looking for is under: Options > Security...Lock After

if that doesn't work, you have to use Desktop Manager to reset your PlayBook.

Mine wasn't going into a locked standby, I did the full re-install and it works like a charm now.

I have mine set to:
    Backlight Time-out: 20 seconds
    Standby Time-out: 90 seconds
    Lock after: 5 minutes
    I don't think i can endure another wipe on the PB, it takes a bit of time to re-optimize but this is a straight-up bug that hopefully they will squash in the next release.
    06-01-11 10:58 PM
    I wish it would do a real standby, even though I find it kind of handy that I use the wifi to transfer files often while in other rooms. Is there anyway to turn off the wake up gesture? I'd rather just use the small hard to push power button to wake it up. It's constantly waking up when I'm just moving it or carrying it around.
    06-01-11 11:20 PM
    I don't think i can endure another wipe on the PB, it takes a bit of time to re-optimize but this is a straight-up bug that hopefully they will squash in the next release.
    I was reluctant to wipe it as well after copying all my media over but then i realized that having the PlayBook lock on its own was more important to me than any other feature it will ever have.
    Last edited by Steve Rizla; 06-02-11 at 01:36 AM.
    06-01-11 11:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD