Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry PlayBook

PlayBook SSL issues.

Asked: Mar 24 2020 | 8:05 pm EDT 3187 Views 17 Answers View Best Answer

I just found two old unused PlayBooks, but unfortunately most websites don’t work, because of ssl issues. The browser is simply not able to handle current certificates. The same happens while trying to connect the mail client to ActiveSync. Both PlayBooks OS is up to date. Is there a newer image available somewhere or is it possible to install Android on it?

Best Answer

Mar 25 2020 | 8:07 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

Maybe another browser can help? I THINK my friend @KermEd can help here. I believe he has bar files for the browsers he developed.
No you can't install Android or do much with it.

The Android runtime is something like Android 2.3, which is going to be tough to find apps that will work with at this point.

Back years ago folks could update the certificates in the browser to get a little more compatibility, but at this point it's more outdated standards than certificate that are an issue.

KermEd Secire Browser for the PlayBook is still in BBW https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=US&lang=en

More Answers

Mar 24 2020 | 10:28 pm EDT pkcable

Maybe another browser can help? I THINK my friend @KermEd can help here. I believe he has bar files for the browsers he developed.

Mar 25 2020 | 1:08 pm EDT anon(5597702)

It's EOL and we're SOL -- unless you're willing to remote desktop into a Windows box and browse that way, or something, but that's not worth it IMO.

Mar 25 2020 | 1:14 pm EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

It's EOL and we're SOL.
I'm thinking about replacing the tablet that replaced the tablet that replaced the PlayBook at this point....

That said... the PlayBook is still here if the grandkids want to watch some Disney Movies.... but now that they have Disney+ on their personal iPads, it hasn't gotten used in months.

Mar 25 2020 | 3:06 pm EDT brookie229

I'm thinking about replacing the tablet that replaced the tablet that replaced the PlayBook at this point....

That said... the PlayBook is still here if the grandkids want to watch some Disney Movies.... but now that they have Disney+ on their personal iPads, it hasn't gotten used in months.
I still use mine to stream movies/video from my personal cloud (WD MyCloud) using the Kalemsoft app. Works beautifully. Once in a blue moon I use the CB app which still works well to post here even. That's about it.

Apr 05 2020 | 4:07 am EDT i_plod_an_dr_void

I did that exact thing, and ended up back at a playbook (lol).

Apr 07 2020 | 11:53 pm EDT EFats

I did that exact thing, and ended up back at a playbook (lol).
Still trying. The problem is the Playbook is just the right size and it is great for playing downloaded videos and music.
Oh those speakers! I have about 4 different iPads kicking around and some other tablets. Absolutely nothing comes close to those PlayBook speakers!
Others can match the volume but the depth and richness of the sound from that thing is really amazing.

If I could only find a working browser...

Apr 13 2020 | 4:45 pm EDT treolivesuk

I still use mine to stream movies/video from my personal cloud (WD MyCloud) using the Kalemsoft app. Works beautifully. Once in a blue moon I use the CB app which still works well to post here even. That's about it.
Hi Brookie, i've just bought a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra personal cloud device, and I'm very interested in using my PlayBook to stream as you describe (I have Kalemsoft media player too). May I ask, what software / settings do you usually use to encode the videos you store on the My Cloud drive? I am having problems with stuttering currently no matter what I try

Posted via CB10

Apr 13 2020 | 5:11 pm EDT brookie229

Hi Brookie, i've just bought a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra personal cloud device, and I'm very interested in using my PlayBook to stream as you describe (I have Kalemsoft media player too). May I ask, what software / settings do you usually use to encode the videos you store on the My Cloud drive? I am having problems with stuttering currently no matter what I try

Posted via CB10
I'm using all sorts of video formats but try changing (if you haven't already) the settings in the KalemSoft app. Under Settings/Streaming Options/enable progressive download/enable Custom bitrate and change to 3000/set Stream quality to High. Hope that helps!

p.s. I am playing MP4, AVI, MKV mostly. No stuttering.

Apr 14 2020 | 10:08 am EDT treolivesuk

I'm using all sorts of video formats but try changing (if you haven't already) the settings in the KalemSoft app. Under Settings/Streaming Options/enable progressive download/enable Custom bitrate and change to 3000/set Stream quality to High. Hope that helps!

Thanks Brookie, will fiddle with the settings and see how I get on

Dec 27 2020 | 4:40 am EST FillypiMiranda

Dec 27 2020 | 4:42 am EST FillypiMiranda

guys where can i download this app "Kalemsoft" ?? I really need this, give me the link

Dec 27 2020 | 9:46 am EST brookie229

guys where can i download this app "Kalemsoft" ?? I really need this, give me the link
KalemSoft - Store

-* note: this is a paid app and you may have to contact the dev for the BB10 version from the "contact" link at the very top right corner of the web page.

Dec 28 2020 | 5:08 pm EST anon(5597702)

Please.

Dec 29 2020 | 7:46 am EST Dunt Dunt Dunt

Please.
brookie229 posted the link....

Dec 29 2020 | 9:34 am EST brookie229

brookie229 posted the link....
Up here in Frostyland we like to say "please" and "thanks", ok eh.

Dec 30 2020 | 7:24 am EST anon(5597702)

Up here in Frostyland we like to say "please" and "thanks", ok eh.
Lol, what brookie said! Nice summing up of the Canadian ways! And yes, we like to compliment each other too.

Yes, I saw that brookie shared the link, DDD. Just putting in a "friendly" call for politeness and cordiality when requests for help are made and I was being a little cheeky too (note the smiley).