I just found two old unused PlayBooks, but unfortunately most websites don’t work, because of ssl issues. The browser is simply not able to handle current certificates. The same happens while trying to connect the mail client to ActiveSync. Both PlayBooks OS is up to date. Is there a newer image available somewhere or is it possible to install Android on it?
    03-24-20 08:05 PM
    Maybe another browser can help? I THINK my friend @KermEd can help here. I believe he has bar files for the browsers he developed.
    No you can't install Android or do much with it.

The Android runtime is something like Android 2.3, which is going to be tough to find apps that will work with at this point.

Back years ago folks could update the certificates in the browser to get a little more compatibility, but at this point it's more outdated standards than certificate that are an issue.

KermEd Secire Browser for the PlayBook is still in BBW https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=US&lang=en
    Maybe another browser can help? I THINK my friend @KermEd can help here. I believe he has bar files for the browsers he developed.
    03-24-20 10:28 PM
    No you can't install Android or do much with it.

The Android runtime is something like Android 2.3, which is going to be tough to find apps that will work with at this point.

Back years ago folks could update the certificates in the browser to get a little more compatibility, but at this point it's more outdated standards than certificate that are an issue.

KermEd Secire Browser for the PlayBook is still in BBW https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=US&lang=en
    pkcable likes this.
    03-25-20 08:07 AM
    It's EOL and we're SOL -- unless you're willing to remote desktop into a Windows box and browse that way, or something, but that's not worth it IMO.
    03-25-20 01:08 PM
    It's EOL and we're SOL.
    I'm thinking about replacing the tablet that replaced the tablet that replaced the PlayBook at this point....

That said... the PlayBook is still here if the grandkids want to watch some Disney Movies.... but now that they have Disney+ on their personal iPads, it hasn't gotten used in months.
    03-25-20 01:14 PM
    I'm thinking about replacing the tablet that replaced the tablet that replaced the PlayBook at this point....

That said... the PlayBook is still here if the grandkids want to watch some Disney Movies.... but now that they have Disney+ on their personal iPads, it hasn't gotten used in months.
    I still use mine to stream movies/video from my personal cloud (WD MyCloud) using the Kalemsoft app. Works beautifully. Once in a blue moon I use the CB app which still works well to post here even. That's about it.
    pkcable likes this.
    03-25-20 03:06 PM