I was of the understanding that Security Wipe does NOT wipe the OS.....
    12-29-12 04:25 PM
    Indeed. Maybe that's just the way it is. Every so often you have to wipe your system. My personal experience in this area has been similar, I didn't backup any music, videos or whatever, so sadly I had to redownload them. But lag can be for a number of reasons, and it happens with every blackberry device.
    12-29-12 04:36 PM
    You go to Options on your PB ->Security -> Security Wipe. Make sure you backed up everything you need BEFORE wiping and keep your PB connected to a charger and network as it will go through initial setup and download OS updates.

By the way I am wondering if it overwrites all data so it can't be undeleted. That's what I would consider a "Security Wipe"...
    Rim is known for their security. I'm pretty certain nothing can be recovered. Same goes for entering the wrong password(if you password protected the pb) more than 10 (can that be changed lower) times - WIPE!
    axllebeer likes this.
    12-29-12 05:46 PM
    But what if you want to totally wipe the OS and start again...? What is the procedure then..? When I update the OS on my mac I start with a totally blank hard drive, but I'm installing from a disk in that case. I've never installed an OS on to a tablet or a phone before. ...not from scratch.
    12-29-12 06:28 PM
    I was of the understanding that Security Wipe does NOT wipe the OS.....
    This is correct, the only way to really wipe the PlayBook is to go through the debrick procedure which involves plugging in the PlayBook, opening up BlackBerry Desktop Software, turning off the PlayBook while it's connected, turning it back on, a prompt should ask you if you want to update, click that, then it'll say "Repair" select that, then it'll go and check for Tablet OS updates, it'll grab the latest one and from there you're good to go. This also gives you back the default wallpapers in their proper screen resolutions as well as that demo video.
    12-29-12 06:32 PM
    I got around to wiping my PB yesterday, and it did indeed make it much more responsive. Especially the browser and apps using the android player. d lag was intolerable after the last update.

I don't store a ton of data on mine, so the wipe isn't that bad. The only thing that's a pain is re-sideloading any converted apps I use. The Chrome extension makes that a lot easier though. I keep them all in a folder, and batch installed them using it. All apps purchased in the app store installed again with no issues.

I am wondering if this is going to need to be added as a scheduled maintenance task for me. It seemed after each software update, it got bogged down a little more until the point where the keyboard lag was intolerable.
    12-30-12 07:16 AM
    I think I cleared everything including my user name and password. Does this mean I get to reset as if I just got it out of the box? Am thinking its serial number is somewhat tied to the main database at BB, and prevent me from reestablishing new user/pass.
    12-30-12 07:29 AM
    If you wiped it you can use whatever ID you want. It isn't tied to it.
    12-30-12 07:59 AM
    my playbook still work just like the first day, however... I'm planning to put all my song on my playbook and buy bb music gateway, so I'm wondering if I'm better to do while my pb is not full.

How are you doing it?
    12-30-12 08:41 PM
    my playbook still work just like the first day, however... I'm planning to put all my song on my playbook and buy bb music gateway, so I'm wondering if I'm better to do while my pb is not full.

How are you doing it?
    If your pb is not showing an problems or issues or slowdowns, there really would be no reason to Wipe it.
    12-30-12 09:52 PM
    Ummm, Hi! My name is Xyrin and my tablet is slowing down and I would like to try your instructions but the thing is that I don't understand it, I mean what do you mean when you said bite the button? Im no techno geek so I dont really get it, so please help me!!
    04-26-13 01:56 AM
    Ummm, Hi! My name is Xyrin and my tablet is slowing down and I would like to try your instructions but the thing is that I don't understand it, I mean what do you mean when you said bite the button? Im no techno geek so I dont really get it, so please help me!!
    If you are serious, that is probably a typo (or automatic word completion mistake) "bite the bullet" means take action. A security wipe is done from the Gear/Options, Security Choice on the pb.

Not a trivial task as backup and restore can take hours. Backup all personal data - photos, videos, documents or anything unique to the pb.
    04-26-13 08:41 AM
87 ... 234