Lol yeah that's a problem. Well if the android apps are working for you then that's good. I'm just sick of having some work for me and some not. Like some I tried to use always show "no Internet connection" when I clearly have the wifi enabled. Little stuff like that is annoying.

Tapatalking on my iPhone
    I wish they worked a bit better, but they do work. Unfortunately they are 3 apps I just can't find what I consider a decent native replacement (or browser alternative) for.
    12-10-12 10:47 AM
    Thanks for this. I had bought my wife a Nexus 7 recently and I have to admit that, compared to my Playbook, it was pretty snappy with input response. My Playbook was lagging badly and I thought it was just the tablet showing its age. I bit the bullet tonight and did a wipe and the difference is night and day. So happy I did it. My only regret is that the stock wallpapers (which I liked a lot) are gone. Oh well.

Get them back in this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...wnload-715752/
    12-10-12 11:09 AM
    Haha! Read the title and for a split second thought you meant literally "wiping" the screen had something to do with improved performance
    BerryClever and axllebeer like this.
    12-10-12 03:08 PM
    Ha! Never thought of it that way. Sure it might help depending on what it's been dropped in.
    shupor and kaosnews like this.
    12-10-12 03:25 PM
    Ive had my main pb wince launch day and havent wiped it once. Mine too is starting to get out of control with the keyboard lag/problems and such.
    12-10-12 04:00 PM
    Wiping isn't really a good solution to me. It's a short term remedy that really doesn't really help the ongoing problem for me. On my playbook I have wiped it maybe 5=6 times total since I purchased it on launch day. And while wiping it helps initially, most of all problems creep back in about one week. I haven't turned on my playbook since October or so though so I may have missed some other update that has taken place since then. Even throughout this year I have only used it sporadically mostly in anticipation of bb10 to get a feel for qnx and to see what going on in the app world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    12-10-12 04:27 PM
    I'd like to mention, so that no one is surprised, that some apps you may have downloaded for Free, may no longer be available for download in App World.

There are a couple of games that I got for free / promotion: Modenr Combat, Tetris, NFS Undercove3r, Asphalt 6, ShadowGun, and CreaVures. I'm not entirely sure, but a wipe and restore via App World vs. restore from DM may result in one or more of those apps not being added without a purchase as the promotional period has expired.

Just didn't want anyone to be disappointed.
    FF22 and axllebeer like this.
    12-10-12 05:01 PM
    I'd like to mention, so that no one is surprised, that some apps you may have downloaded for Free, may no longer be available for download in App World.

There are a couple of games that I got for free / promotion: Modenr Combat, Tetris, NFS Undercove3r, Asphalt 6, ShadowGun, and CreaVures. I'm not entirely sure, but a wipe and restore via App World vs. restore from DM may result in one or more of those apps not being added without a purchase as the promotional period has expired.

Just didn't want anyone to be disappointed.
    Totally correct. Some will restore and some will not. Tetris for example will. But if you got an app for free for a limited time or something then you are out of luck.

A very good and important point.
    12-10-12 05:23 PM
    The Blackberry Playbook just can't require periodic wiping as part of normal care and feeding.
    12-10-12 08:44 PM
    No it doesn't. My issue was simply too much sideloading I think. I'm sure I put several Android apps on mine that didn't play nice. Plus it's been discussed in other threads that even after deleting them there are fragmented files left behind that are hard to get rid of.
    12-10-12 08:55 PM
    I was thinking about doing this and DM was stopping like at the same point and failing every time. It got irritating and I just gave up but I was noticing the browser and keyboard lag so I knew it still needed to be wiped. I'm glad that wiping it is the way to go and I'm now in the process of backing up my groovy notes, uploading my books, videos and music to skydrive via files and folders (killer app btw) and other important pdfs and docs. It's gonna suck about the app data though because I beat Earth and Legend, Plants vs Zombies, Angry birds, and have nearly completed other games like sonic and shadowgun. That's gonna suck but if my playbook is gonna be snappy again. Then it should be worth it.
    12-10-12 09:26 PM
    If I backup my entire PlayBook and restore it after the Wipe, will all my game scores be restored?

I know the PlayBook was billed a professional tablet, but mine is filled with games haha
    12-10-12 10:22 PM
    I
    If I backup my entire PlayBook and restore it after the Wipe, will all my game scores be restored?

I know the PlayBook was billed a professional tablet, but mine is filled with games haha
    I've never been able to do this successfully but that's how it is supposed to work. If you can do it then it's certainly worth a go. If it clears up any problems you might be having then, you are winning.
    12-10-12 10:27 PM
    question...,
    I recall when backup the pb, there were only three checkboxes: Application Data, Media Files, and Settings.
    so when restoring, we cannot selectively choose which apps we want to restore.., correct?

side note: I too failed full backup with bridge and wifi on. then I turned on Airplane Mode, and backup finished successfully.
    12-10-12 11:25 PM
    That is correct you can choose at that point what info you want to restore.

Interesting last point you have. I didn't try to use Airplane Mode while attempting a backup. I did manually turn all connections off. Now that everything is done for me, I might try all options and see what happens at least at that point I would have part of my info restored if I needed a wipe in the future for any reason.
    12-10-12 11:49 PM
    Periodic hard resets keep mine up to speed. I haven't really had keyboard lag but over time I get a little slow loading and opening. Clearing memory caches and the resets work well for me.
    12-10-12 11:49 PM
    That is correct you can choose at that point what info you want to restore. .
    can choose.., or can't choose..?
    12-10-12 11:57 PM
    can choose.., or can't choose..?
    Which apps. Sorry I didn't read that correctly. No I believe it's an all or nothing thing when it comes to that.
    12-11-12 12:02 AM
    See..uh, you guys..

This same logic, can be applied on any personal computer you're using. Have you ever reformatted/re-installed your OS on a PC? It's like WOW THIS IS SO AMAZINGLY FAST, THIS IS SO COOL.

Use it for a couple weeks, install applications, ect. It's the same ol' computer. As others are saying, I don't see this as any long-term fix. It's a very, very temporary band aid:/.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-12 02:36 AM
    See..uh, you guys..

This same logic, can be applied on any personal computer you're using. Have you ever reformatted/re-installed your OS on a PC? It's like WOW THIS IS SO AMAZINGLY FAST, THIS IS SO COOL.

Use it for a couple weeks, install applications, ect. It's the same ol' computer. As others are saying, I don't see this as any long-term fix. It's a very, very temporary band aid:/.
    Agreed. I am already noticing the difference! Very temporary indeed!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-12 03:01 AM
    I also just do a reset if things get a bit buggy and it does help. Clearing cache does too. It works the same way on my laptop. However, like people mentioned, the fixes are just temporary, it runs butter smooth for awhile and things start to slow down and get buggy again. I actually have more problems on my laptop than with the Playbook. 99% of the time, my Playbook runs great even with sideloaded apps. Just the battery life is pretty poor but I will live with that since I love the playbook so much.
    12-11-12 06:03 AM
    See..uh, you guys..

Do we even have an explanation for these issues yet? I remember it was only just the Spring of this year that we all had to put up with memory leaks and stability issues and slowdowns on the PB after the first update to have the Android runtime on it, waiting for months for a patch to fix those issues. Now some of the laggy performance issues are returning. I'm still convinced that stuffing an Android VM built from the older inefficient 2.3 version of Android has basically put an end to the Playbook being able to boast snappy QNX performance. Speed of QNX and a great Swipe UI are the two best things this tablet has going for it. Now it appears the "speed" perk is no longer present. I owned my PB before they put the Android VM on it and I don't recall the pre-Android QNX OS having these kinds of slowdowns.
    12-11-12 08:56 AM
    When you say wipe, do you mean security wipe?

is there a preferable way to clean wipe a playbook, I saw someone say about clean OS?
    12-11-12 09:35 AM
    I am facing this same issue for past one week, suddenly it has gone all laggy and slow in every damn operation. I have one question before I go for wipe though;

Lets say I bought an App for 3$, and now its 5$. So If I wipe it; does App World allow to re-install the application? Any idea.
    12-11-12 10:15 AM
    I am facing this same issue for past one week, suddenly it has gone all laggy and slow in every damn operation. I have one question before I go for wipe though;

Lets say I bought an App for 3$, and now its 5$. So If I wipe it; does App World allow to re-install the application? Any idea.
    Yeah if you purchased the app you can reinstall it. It would be under the list of uninstalled apps in app world.

Tapatalking
    adi_vastava likes this.
    12-11-12 10:21 AM
87 1234