Does anyone know if the PlayBook will be compatible with Skype? Will there be an app or something? Just wondering... Thanks...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 06:09 AM
    Does anyone know if the PlayBook will be compatible with Skype? Will there be an app or something? Just wondering... Thanks...

BEST option for you would be to write skype!

I say this because currently we don't know, BUT the playbook would be compatible if Skype made an app, BUT Skype needs to know that people buying the playbook want an app, and that it would be worth their time to develop for QNX,

THAT comes from Skype users, Skype users need to write to Skype saying this is a product that they want.
    12-26-10 06:29 AM
    BEST option for you would be to write skype!

I say this because currently we don't know, BUT the playbook would be compatible if Skype made an app, BUT Skype needs to know that people buying the playbook want an app, and that it would be worth their time to develop for QNX,

THAT comes from Skype users, Skype users need to write to Skype saying this is a product that they want.
    YES. the more people that ask, the more they'll be likely to develop. and then maybe you can use the playbook as a phone with that feature of Skype
    12-26-10 03:23 PM
    Well its not impossible since it has the dual cams. Skype via wi-fi would be pretty cool.
    12-27-10 11:47 AM
    Apparently getting through to Skype is a nightmare. If anyone has a contact (for the UK) that has worked to good success, then I will contact them and make the suggestion. Personally, I'd love to see Skype for BlackBerry worldwide as well.
    12-27-10 02:39 PM
    How would one know the answer to this question without the device actually being released and app store etc....?

Anyhow, using common sense, I would think it would eventually be available because Skype would want their software on all platforms because that means people can always use their service. If they didn't eventually have an app that will tell us what they think about the playbook and QNX. But I don't see a reason why there wouldn't be one within a few months (if not sooner). The key is that the playbook needs to do well. Because they can make a skype app but if the platform isn't doing well then the app will be mediocre at best with no real updates and support because developers have no incentive to spend time on it. Much like appworld. Developers spend much more time on iOS app store and Android Market.
    12-27-10 02:51 PM
    Apparently getting through to Skype is a nightmare. If anyone has a contact (for the UK) that has worked to good success, then I will contact them and make the suggestion. Personally, I'd love to see Skype for BlackBerry worldwide as well.
    Skype mobile™ for BlackBerry® smartphones
    12-27-10 08:16 PM
    Thanks guys! I just wanted to know, because I would like to use skype video call using the Playbook's HD cameras...

12-28-10 12:49 AM
    What's the big deal with Skype anyways? I'm currently using Yahoo messenger and I find that it works well for me.
    12-28-10 01:50 AM
    Yahoo messenger has video calling capabilities??? I didn't know that...

12-28-10 06:21 AM
    What's the big deal with Skype anyways? I'm currently using Yahoo messenger and I find that it works well for me.
    My family on real phones can call me on Skype, and vise versa, is one of the bonus features of Skype.

it also integrates with your webbrowser allowing to to make calls licking on phone numbers in the txt line links on the desktop.
    12-28-10 07:44 AM
    Sorry, Skype is unavailable for your mobile. We add new handsets all the time so check back soon.

Every mobile in that list is a CDMA phone. I see 2 that are World Phones, but they aren't sold in the UK.

The problem is, Skype have jumped in bed with VZW, and as such, the rest of the world is being locked out. I have a feeling it has to be a VZW-branded phone for it to work.
    12-28-10 08:59 AM
    Sorry, Skype is unavailable for your mobile. We add new handsets all the time so check back soon.

Every mobile in that list is a CDMA phone. I see 2 that are World Phones, but they aren't sold in the UK.

The problem is, Skype have jumped in bed with VZW, and as such, the rest of the world is being locked out. I have a feeling it has to be a VZW-branded phone for it to work.
    oops sorry :/
    12-28-10 09:07 AM
    No worries, it's just that UK BlackBerry customers are losing out on loads of stuff. I think about 85% of the available BlackBerry Apps won't work in the UK. I wanna go to Android where the UK gets treated better, but losing core functionality for me means it can't happen
    12-28-10 09:10 AM

Yeah it's either VZW or Bust when it comes to Skype.

12-28-10 10:18 AM
    The real bugger behind it all is, VZW is CDMA, I'm UK, there's no CDMA in the UK, so I can't even get a VZW phone and unlock it for the functionality! Guess my only choice is a World Phone, but I want the Torch, no substitutes, and the Torch is GSM-only, and the Style (my 2nd choice) is CDMA-only. Therefore I can't win.
    12-28-10 01:07 PM
    Is there any update to this? With the dual cameras, Skype seems like a necessity and this would be epiiicccc.
    04-02-11 09:28 AM
    Hi, I am organizing a mass email campaign, that on February 1st, we will all email the Skype CEO and the Skype Vice President, with the subject line "Skype for the Blackberry Playbook". Here is the link to the thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...itment-691875/

Facebook page too (please use both!): Skype Petition and Email Campaign | Facebook

Please leave your negativity at the door. Post on the thread if you intend to take part, and feel free to read the longer explanation and use the basic email provided rather than composing your own, if that is easier for you. Only post if you're with us, we do not need any posts telling us it is a moronic endeavor.

Please note that I am not attempting to spam, but only posting on threads where it seems appropriate, and like the users monitoring said thread may be interested.
    01-25-12 11:10 PM
    Hi, I am organizing a mass email campaign, that on February 1st, we will all email the Skype CEO and the Skype Vice President, with the subject line "Skype for the Blackberry Playbook". Here is the link to the thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...itment-691875/

Facebook page too (please use both!): Skype Petition and Email Campaign | Facebook

Please leave your negativity at the door. Post on the thread if you intend to take part, and feel free to read the longer explanation and use the basic email provided rather than composing your own, if that is easier for you. Only post if you're with us, we do not need any posts telling us it is a moronic endeavor.

Please note that I am not attempting to spam, but only posting on threads where it seems appropriate, and like the users monitoring said thread may be interested.
    Great idea. After this, go on over here and add you $.02 at the Tango feature request page.

Tango Support for BlackBerry PlayBook : Tango Support Center
    01-26-12 05:07 AM
    Yahoo messenger is available on Playbook?
    01-26-12 05:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD