Anyone have any idea why this would happen? There is no warning it just shuts down like the battery is dead but when I plug it in and turn it back on the power level reads 20%.
    01-16-13 10:03 PM
    Just calibrate your battery... it is probably giving you a wrong reading... there are plenty of third Apps that can do that..
    Last edited by joshua_sx1; 01-17-13 at 02:03 AM.
    01-16-13 10:39 PM
    Just calibrate your battery... it is probably giving you a wrong reading... there are plenty of third Apps that can do that..
    Any specific recommendations?
    01-17-13 05:34 AM
    I don't believe there are any apps that can calibrate the batteries. A good app to monitor the batteries is called Battery Guru. With that app you could see if its shutting down at the proper voltage. 3.4 volts if I'm not mistaken. That would tell you the bettery meter is not correct.
    Do you get the warning message that the PlayBook is shutting down before it turns off?
    01-17-13 05:53 AM
    I have noticed this same behaviour, very annoying. There is no warning, it simply starts shutting down anywhere between 10-20%.
    jpash549 likes this.
    01-17-13 07:13 AM
    RIMs method to fix the problem:
    Run the PB until it shuts down. Plug into charger and allow to charge to FULL. That would be a solid green light if the PB is off or the plug icon over the battery if on. Run again until auto shut off then charge fully. You may have to do this 3 times. If you see no improvement call RIM.
    01-17-13 08:20 AM
    I've been having battery problems of my own (see my other recent post). I've read threads saying that draining the battery down to 0% can cause problems (like not beibg able to get the playbook to start re-charging) however, most of these seem to be quite old, so does that problem relate to older versions of the OS? I guess it must be if RIM's own suggestion is to allow the battery to run right down...(!?)

Chris.
    01-17-13 08:57 AM
    I've been having battery problems of my own (see my other recent post). I've read threads saying that draining the battery down to 0% can cause problems (like not beibg able to get the playbook to start re-charging) however, most of these seem to be quite old, so does that problem relate to older versions of the OS? I guess it must be if RIM's own suggestion is to allow the battery to run right down...(!?)

Chris.
    When I was having problems with the 32 gig losing too much power in Standby, I called Rim. Their "requirement" before the rma was to fully charge the pb, drain it completely (till it turns off), fully charge and drain again and then charge. So, yes, that is their generally recommendation to recalibrate.

I am not sure what causes the pb to "not want to charge" after depletion but it does not occur for everyone.
    01-17-13 10:12 AM
    When I was having problems with the 32 gig losing too much power in Standby, I called Rim. Their "requirement" before the rma was to fully charge the pb, drain it completely (till it turns off), fully charge and drain again and then charge. So, yes, that is their generally recommendation to recalibrate.
    Did it solve your problem, or did you finish up having to return your unit?
    01-17-13 10:18 AM
    Did it solve your problem, or did you finish up having to return your unit?
    Rim replaced the unit entirely. Overnight on standby with nothing running at all (except battery guru), it would lose about 18% or more. That is very unusual.
    01-17-13 10:37 AM
    Rim replaced the unit entirely. Overnight on standby with nothing running at all (except battery guru), it would lose about 18% or more. That is very unusual.
    Definitely a faulty battery. Good to hear you were able to have the tablet replaced.
    01-17-13 11:26 AM