I sent my playbook to RIM to repair the usb port as it would no longer charge. They sent it back within 1 week, no charge to me, not even postage and I live in Canada! Works perfect now, even have the new update. I did have to reinstall all my apps. My only complaint is they removed my screen protector, the thin sticky one. Not sure why but now I will have to get a new one. Best buy charged me $15 to install it too. So now that it's fixed I plan to charge it with only the rapid charger and only use the usb port to plug it into my computer for updates etc. Fyi I only had my playbook for 6 weeks when this happened and I was always careful when charging it.
    My question is with setting up the accounts. I set up my Facebook account with no problem. But I can't set up my main email account, keeps saying check the settings. My main email account Is with shaw. Does anyone have suggestions how to do this or is their some kind of step by step tutorial?
    Thanks!
    03-02-12 10:26 PM
    One thing I had to do was change Use SSL to Off. I think the default is On, which gave me a check your settings message. Also make sure your SMTP and POP server names from Shaw are exactly right with no mispellings.
    03-02-12 10:36 PM
    How was the process contacting RIM and sending it in? I am thinking about doing it to mine for the HDMI port and power button. Having extreme problems with both.
    03-02-12 10:50 PM
    I sent my playbook to RIM to repair the usb port as it would no longer charge. They sent it back within 1 week, no charge to me, not even postage and I live in Canada!
    Thanks!
    Hi. How did you contact RIM? my usb charging port was damaged and it won't charge anymore. It is my fault though.

Thanks.
    03-03-12 10:02 PM
    For those asking about the return process. I called RIM, was on the phone about 45 minutes. First they asked me to take pictures of usb but then changed their minds and approved it for free repair. They fed ex'ed me an empty return box with the papers to mail the playbook back to them free. It was sent out on a Thursday (from Canada) and was overnighted to RIM. It was then fed ex'ed back to me, to my door, the following Wednesday. Way faster than I expected though they did promise 5-8 business days. I had no issues with RIM but Fed ex was annoying, they refused to pick up my package, claiming my postal code doesn't exist. It does.
    RIM Canada 1-877-644-8405
    USA. 1-877-644-8410

As for my email issue, I called my email provider and they kindly walked me through it so my email now works on my playbook!
    03-03-12 10:47 PM
    I sent my PB back for USB connection problems as well as noise interference on recording (video recording and the Voice Notes app). They sent my packing materials by Fedex Express. I packed it up sent it in on Monday night. They got it on Tuesday, and I got it back, good as new on Friday.
    03-04-12 02:49 AM
    Good to hear that Barskin!
    Enyigma likes this.
    03-04-12 02:51 AM
    For those asking about the return process. I called RIM, was on the phone about 45 minutes. First they asked me to take pictures of usb but then changed their minds and approved it for free repair. They fed ex'ed me an empty return box with the papers to mail the playbook back to them free. It was sent out on a Thursday (from Canada) and was overnighted to RIM. It was then fed ex'ed back to me, to my door, the following Wednesday. Way faster than I expected though they did promise 5-8 business days. I had no issues with RIM but Fed ex was annoying, they refused to pick up my package, claiming my postal code doesn't exist. It does.
    RIM Canada 1-877-644-8405
    USA. 1-877-644-8410

As for my email issue, I called my email provider and they kindly walked me through it so my email now works on my playbook!
    Thanks a lot. I damaged the micro usb port and the playbook won't charge anymore. After hunting from different staples, walmart ant radioshack stores, I found the rapid travel charger for 19.95 which is a steal!!! I should be able to charge the PB via the magnetic port...but I would like to take my chance with RIM to have the usb port repaired to sync files and sideload apps...

Thanks again...
    03-05-12 05:53 PM
    I bought a 70 dollar tablet warranty with futureshop, I hope this takes care of it and don't make me have to spend an hour on the phone with RIM. My PB was purchased late Nov and my USB port broke yesterday
    03-06-12 07:33 AM
    I sent it in for bum usb the tested it and sent it back unrepaired then they sent me a charger then. Usb cable. I've given up. I will just try to get it fixed at toronto's china town
    03-10-12 06:00 PM
    They did you a favor by taking the screen protector off. You should enjoy the nice bright clear display.
    03-10-12 06:06 PM
    I had usb port go on mine. I was given a choice repair or take a new one. I took the new one. Best customer support ever
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-10-12 06:57 PM
    I have usb issues and had to order a magnetic charger so I can charge it I did the 2.0.1 update and then the usb cord or wall charger wouldn't work. So my question is for the ones who had repairs done by Rim, how long have you had your tablet? I bought mine in July/11 so they said I wasn't eligible for 90 day warranty.
    heppyX likes this.
    04-19-12 06:20 PM
    I sent my PB back for USB connection problems as well as noise interference on recording (video recording and the Voice Notes app).
    Hi there, can you elaborate more on your problem on noise interference while recording? Coz recently I am quite distracted on the white noise while playing some audio/video recordings made on my PB. Thank you.
    04-19-12 08:21 PM
    I sent mine in for a damaged usb port last Tuesday. (It fell while it was plugged in and landed right on the port. It wouldn't connect via usb after that.) They gave me absolutely no hassle, the customer service rep was very pleasant, and there was no charge for shipping or the repair. I got it back today, and noticed my power button was suddenly MUCH easier to press. So, I checked the serial number, and they had sent me a whole different 64GB PlayBook! I called customer service again tonight to find out if it was a truly new unit or a refurbished one. (I was going to be a little disappointed in refurbished, but not a deal breaker. At least the usb port works, right?) She researched my new serial number, and said according to her records it was a new and unused device. Very very nice. Thank you RIM!!!
    daveshiz likes this.
    07-24-12 01:56 AM
    I sent mine in for a damaged usb port last Tuesday. (It fell while it was plugged in and landed right on the port. It wouldn't connect via usb after that.) They gave me absolutely no hassle, the customer service rep was very pleasant, and there was no charge for shipping or the repair. I got it back today, and noticed my power button was suddenly MUCH easier to press. So, I checked the serial number, and they had sent me a whole different 64GB PlayBook! I called customer service again tonight to find out if it was a truly new unit or a refurbished one. (I was going to be a little disappointed in refurbished, but not a deal breaker. At least the usb port works, right?) She researched my new serial number, and said according to her records it was a new and unused device. Very very nice. Thank you RIM!!!
    And you told them YOU DROPPED the pb? Nice service. Amazon use to (and may still) do that for their original kindles.
    07-24-12 08:18 AM
    My Playbook was on the few bought on the day it was released. Had some issues with both the charging ports last month. Called RIM for help, they sent a return box on a Friday...got a brand new Playbook the following Wednesday. That is some awesome customer service in my books...thank you RIM! I always have, and still love my Playbook and all its functionality...
    07-24-12 08:23 AM
    After hunting from different staples, walmart ant radioshack stores, I found the rapid travel charger for 19.95 which is a steal!!!
    Can you tell us where you got the rapid charger for $20? I'd love to find it at that price.
    07-24-12 08:42 AM
    I got an open box rapid charger at Radio Shack for $14.97 2 weeks ago. I came with a premium warrenty (they give it to store returns and demo units). They do not stock them any longer and I don't think they even have them listed online so I called all the stores in my area asking if they had any Playbook accessories and found only 8 miles away from me. Now I only have to use my usb port to backup. I transfer files, side load and now charge without a usb port connection.
    07-24-12 09:00 AM
    Along the same lines, I just got off the phone with playbook support. I got mine back in April of 2011. Just this last week, my camera seems to be malfunctioning like several people on this forum. The camera doesn't open and the screen is just green. I close the app and re-open and it says "camera in use".

I called support and they registered me for my 90 days of free support. Said this was likely a software issue (must be a common problem) and they need some logs to verify what caused it. If I as in wifi at work, I'd likely already have this diagnosed. I'm fairly happy with the service!!! I thought I was gonna have to call squaretrade and use my warranty I bought with them on this. Now I can likely save it.
    07-24-12 01:15 PM
    There is a seller on eBay with 265 new Rapid Chargers for sale at $29.99 shipped. USA only, however, according to his/her listing.
    07-24-12 04:01 PM
    I got an open box rapid charger at Radio Shack for $14.97 2 weeks ago. I came with a premium warrenty (they give it to store returns and demo units). They do not stock them any longer and I don't think they even have them listed online so I called all the stores in my area asking if they had any Playbook accessories and found only 8 miles away from me. Now I only have to use my usb port to backup. I transfer files, side load and now charge without a usb port connection.
    I found the same deal at Radio Shack, then went back and bought a second one for $14.97.
    Much easier than the PB's usb connection.

My post: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...4-99-a-734277/
    07-24-12 04:23 PM
    I bought a 70 dollar tablet warranty with futureshop, I hope this takes care of it and don't make me have to spend an hour on the phone with RIM. My PB was purchased late Nov and my USB port broke yesterday
    Yikes bro thats almost 50% of the purchase price.
    I never buy that warranty crap as it is a complete and total rip off. Not to mention some places require you to regester online or it is void. Plain and simple theft.
    07-24-12 07:28 PM
    Along the same lines, I just got off the phone with playbook support. I got mine back in April of 2011. Just this last week, my camera seems to be malfunctioning like several people on this forum. The camera doesn't open and the screen is just green. I close the app and re-open and it says "camera in use".

I called support and they registered me for my 90 days of free support. Said this was likely a software issue (must be a common problem) and they need some logs to verify what caused it. If I as in wifi at work, I'd likely already have this diagnosed. I'm fairly happy with the service!!! I thought I was gonna have to call squaretrade and use my warranty I bought with them on this. Now I can likely save it.
    EDIT: Update - Was on the phone with Playbook support for quite a while last night. We did everything from sending logs, letting an analyst review the logs, trying to reproduce the camera errors, and then even debricking and reloading the software. My camera still didn't work with a fresh factory install of the software. They are sending an RMA kit to me and will repair this as if it was still under my warranty, even though that expired for me in April 2012 since I bought mine on April 25, 2011. I am very pleased with that service.

In the downtime, I had a lot of chances to speak with the very kind lady from support. She did tell me to check the website everyday right now to check for new OS information as that should be dropping very shortly. Enter this morning, opening crackberry and seeing a leak of OS 2.1 change log. She also informed me that RIM employees to seem to be very excited about the new products coming to RIM shortly via BB10. She was extremely friendly and farily knowledgeable. She gave me quite a bit of kudos for helping her make the troubleshooting go so smoothly since I know my Playbook very well and complimented me a bunch for being one of the original adopters of the Playbook.

I'm just curious if I'll get a new playbook or if they will repair this one? I assume I'll have to get a new screen protector either way. Thanks RIM. I personally believe one of the best ways to dig themselves out of their hole is to take care of their current subscribers over and beyond typical. This would hopefully in turn lead to more word of mouth advertising which they can use more of.....the positive kind at least.
    alan510 and Harryl6134 like this.
    07-25-12 09:30 AM
    I just called support to have mine sent in. I have no waranty so I hope it wont cost a lot. It wont charge and it wont connect to my computer. it feels like the mini usb doesnt plug all the way in.
    09-16-12 01:36 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD