While that may be true, in the US, at least, Tethering and HotSpot access generally are not part of the smartphone data package and can add another $20 or $30 per month to the bill. So in that case, it does save you money.

Folks have pointed out that tether/hotspot is probably faster than the bridge through bt but, again, it does save money for US customers.
    Not necessarily. There are options to share your non-tethering phone data plan with your Android tablet. Here is one of the methods: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pdanet.tablet. I believe there are other solutions for rooted tablets as well.

So Bridge is not that unique as some people believe it is. Of course, Bridge is more seamless but that will probably change soon with more developers working with ICS tablets.

But I am with the OP. The Playbook's OS is just great as a tablet OS.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-08-12 at 12:11 AM.
    01-08-12 12:06 AM
    I'm still amazed at the lack of exposure and advertising, even in Canada. Ok, I've been in Canada most of the week, got back way early this morning. I was giving some training at an aviation facility, went into the main maintenance hangar, got the guys together, pulled out the PB from my jacket to get to my notes and syllabus, took it off standby with a swipe and the questions start. One of the guys goes out to his car and comes back with an iPad and the comparisons start.

For three days the manager and Director of Maintenance used my PB more than I did lol. They were so impressed with the size, screen quality,Bridge and the versatility that they were talking of setting up all their AME's with PBs and finally getting rid of the PDAs they've been using. The size was a huge factor. That keeps coming up, size. Yet I keep hearing from bashers that 7" is too small, yet it keeps being a specific draw for many.

Anyway, I was pleased with the acceptance of the PB, but surprised at the lack of exposure to it. RIM really does need to get on the ball with advertising and exposure, even in their own back yard. I will give that to Apple, they exploit advertising and public exposure to the Nth degree. They rule in that arena.
    01-08-12 12:12 AM
    It doesn't matter if does bridge or not, people want apps and the playbook is lacking in that area. As well they want something simple to use and playbook isn't exactly simple to use for the average person.
    01-08-12 12:16 AM
    Not necessarily. There are options to share your non-tethering phone data plan with your Android tablet. Here is one of the methods: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pdanet.tablet. I believe there are other solutions for rooted tablets as well.

So Bridge is not that unique as some people believe it is. Of course, Bridge is more seamless but that will probably change soon with more developers working with ICS tablets.

But I am with the OP. The Playbook's OS is just great as a tablet OS.
    Sorry, still not true for Verizon. Can't speak for other carriers. At this time Verizon doesn't allow any sharing of data with another device without additional data or plan charges. I overheard very loud conversations between our IT guy and Verizon for two days regarding his personal HTC phone. Only Bridge is exempt.
    01-08-12 12:30 AM
    Sorry, still not true for Verizon. Can't speak for other carriers. At this time Verizon doesn't allow any sharing of data with another device without additional data or plan charges. I overheard very loud conversations between our IT guy and Verizon for two days regarding his personal HTC phone. Only Bridge is exempt.
    The thing is that, with the tethering apps, your provider will not know you are sharing your data plan (see Q3 here http://junefabrics.com/android/faq.php). In some cases, you may have to be rooted though.

Again, the implementation is not as smooth as the Bridge, but it is still true that the Bridge is not the only way to share your phone's existing data plan for free.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-08-12 at 12:43 AM.
    01-08-12 12:34 AM
    It doesn't matter if does bridge or not, people want apps and the playbook is lacking in that area. As well they want something simple to use and playbook isn't exactly simple to use for the average person.
    Not simple to use? Lol thats what sold these guys I was dealing with. Maybe not for you, but for most I show the PB to, they're surprised at how easy and intuitive the gestures are to pick up. I've watched people in Best Buy struggle with Android as well as iOS. Go to the Android and iPad forums and read the questions on how to perform basic functions, I have frequently.
    mozzamay and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    01-08-12 12:52 AM
    Not simple to use? Lol thats what sold these guys I was dealing with. Maybe not for you, but for most I show the PB to, they're surprised at how easy and intuitive the gestures are to pick up. I've watched people in Best Buy struggle with Android as well as iOS. Go to the Android and iPad forums and read the questions on how to perform basic functions, I have frequently.
    Yes, the ease of use, although a subjective thing, is indeed the Playbook's domain (IMO). And I can tell this from my own experience. I have used the Playbook and Android tabs extensively.

However, as you can see there is misinformation on both sides. Android and iOS people believe the Playbook is not "something simple to use" (this may have something to do with them being used to solely using Android/iOS and QNX being new to them). Playbook folks still think the Bridge is the only way to share a phone's data plan for free.
    01-08-12 01:06 AM
    The thing is that, with the tethering apps, your provider will not know you are sharing your data plan (see Q3 here PdaNet for Android FAQ). In some cases, you may have to be rooted though.

Again, the implementation is not as smooth as the Bridge, but it is still true that the Bridge is not the only way to share your phone's existing data plan for free.
    Yes they do, in most circumstances they will catch you. Thats the reason for the loud conversations I mentioned. He got caught and was being charged over $900 for tethering and was going to lose his data plan. My brother-in-law was caught a while back also, $745 bill and had his data plan cancelled. He had to go to another carrier. Google it, most carriers are cracking down on tethering and they're catching people at it. A tether app is no guarantee you won't be caught. One of the ways I read about was a noticeable change in data useage. That apparently flags you and they start investigating. I was told if you stay low profile and keep your usage from deviating from your previous usage profile, you'll stay under the radar. Good luck.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-08-12 01:11 AM
    (who can carry a food tray in there jacket pocket? lol)
    rofl..I don't think anyone would want to carry something the size of a food tray in their pocket even if it was possible

I have to agree with the op. I'm thinking a lot of people will love the playbook if they researched it...except the ones who went to the darkside.

Reading countless reviews..(not just the negative ones), watching videos and even trying out demo/display models would show the potential. At this price it is even a better tablet. I really wish everyone would know that.
    01-08-12 01:17 AM
    Yes they do, in most circumstances they will catch you. Thats the reason for the loud conversations I mentioned. He got caught and was being charged over $900 for tethering and was going to lose his data plan. My brother-in-law was caught a while back also, $745 bill and had his data plan cancelled. He had to go to another carrier. Google it, most carriers are cracking down on tethering and they're catching people at it. A tether app is no guarantee you won't be caught. One of the ways I read about was a noticeable change in data useage. That apparently flags you and they start investigating. I was told if you stay low profile and keep your usage from deviating from your previous usage profile, you'll stay under the radar. Good luck.
    No, the odds of being caught are VERY slim (of course, if you don't download 1080p movies like crazy) and in most cases you'll be warned and forced to change your data plan (no penalties involved in most cases - http://www.pcworld.com/article/22690...e_is_over.html). But again, there are quadzillions of people using the tethering apps with no repercussions.

I have been using EasyTether and PDANet to use my phone's plan on my netbook for more than a year. And I haven't kept a low profile. Have not had a single issue. Many of my friends do the same and also no probs.

And the catch is that they do NOT know or can't prove you are tethering (if you are rooted)
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-08-12 at 01:34 AM.
    01-08-12 01:18 AM
    Yes, the ease of use, although a subjective thing, is indeed the Playbook's domain (IMO). And I can tell this from my own experience. I have used the Playbook and Android tabs extensively.

However, as you can see there is misinformation on both sides. Android and iOS people believe the Playbook is not "something simple to use" (this may have something to do with them being used to solely using Android/iOS and QNX being new to them). Playbook folks still think the Bridge is the only way to share a phone's data plan for free.
    I have to agree with you there. As often as I've used iPads here in the house and a Galaxy Tab we used to have, I still find myself trying to swipe all the time to navigate on those pads. I find them having a steeper learning curve than the PB, but it may be the opposite for those use to other pads. But they seem to pick it up quickly, and when they do, they wonder why they thought it was difficult, because now it seems more natural. My wife is a perfect example of that.
    01-08-12 01:32 AM
    The bridge feature certainly adds value and the more I think of it RIM may have actually...
    ...Created the Playbook in hopes of retaining the flood of people leaving their handsets.
    ...Sort of as a stop loss - could be why no native email, etc shipped with the Playbook.

I bought two and am sending one to Asian so my wife can video talk with her family...
    ...At $199.00 I feel like I got a great deal for the device.

I like it that I can stream directly from startrek.com and watch all those old shows in HD...
    ...And youtube looks really good when it doesn't freeze up.
    ...Aside from those things the playbook really lacking in functionality.
    ... poor PDF reader and the battery life is very short compared to the ipad.

If RIM is able to fix the PDF reader and get a native email and some popular apps working for their tablet...
    ...My guess would be it would be a winner for sure.

The build quality seems solid and the display is VERY good they just need to hurry and work the bugs out of it.
    01-08-12 01:36 AM
    Most consumers don't have the skill, or want to root. RIM should would be shouting the free bridging from the rooftops if they could, but that would anger the carriers...it's a catch 22.
    01-08-12 01:44 AM
    I didn't know what to expect when i got mine.. A diamond in the rough and am sure it is going to be m
    Do you call all tablets toys or merely the ill-named BlackBerry PlayBook?
    01-08-12 04:41 AM
    Well my sister brought her two kids playbooks for Christmas and they were struggling on using them. I see it happen in stores too.
    01-08-12 08:55 AM
    Well my sister brought her two kids playbooks for Christmas and they were struggling on using them. I see it happen in stores too.
    My granddaughter is 2 years old and has no problem using my Playbook independently. Her mother has an Ipad I so her ability to use the Playbook doesn't come from that.

I figure that qualifies as the Playbook being easy to use. Of course my granddaughter isn't using the PB' s full potential but she has the swipes down pat!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-08-12 10:46 AM
    Two of my co-workers have bought Playbooks because of mine. They approached me, not the other way around. These people are not tech savvy other than using computers for work, facebook and web browsing. They both found the Playbook GUI intuitive. Both will mainly use it for web browsing and are not concerned about the lack of apps.
    I have been advising people on computer purchases for 20 years. Both as a vendor and personally. Most people want a computer for surfing the web and email. These are not the people you will find in forums like this but they are the majority of computer buyers.

Ironically, one co-worker wondered if the Playbook could be as good as the others with the price being only $199.
    Lyls and rotorwrench like this.
    01-08-12 11:04 AM
    Unless you have an unlimited plan, you'll still be paying extra much like an extra data plan.

And yeah, if the pb debuted at 200 it could've been ipad's degree of popularity.
    That would depend on how much you use it away from a wifi connection. Mine is set up for my house, in laws, my mother's house, a free connection at one mall, and tbere is one at the gym if i wanted to connect there. So you cut down on the data. Starting tomorrow my data plan resets to zero for the month. So this will be my first full month with it. My plan only allows for 500 mb. i never had a problem with it but will have to watch it now. But i should be ok. Just depends on where you use it the most.

James
    01-08-12 11:20 AM
    I'm still amazed at the lack of exposure and advertising, even in Canada. Ok, I've been in Canada most of the week, got back way early this morning. I was giving some training at an aviation facility, went into the main maintenance hangar, got the guys together, pulled out the PB from my jacket to get to my notes and syllabus, took it off standby with a swipe and the questions start. One of the guys goes out to his car and comes back with an iPad and the comparisons start.

For three days the manager and Director of Maintenance used my PB more than I did lol. They were so impressed with the size, screen quality,Bridge and the versatility that they were talking of setting up all their AME's with PBs and finally getting rid of the PDAs they've been using. The size was a huge factor. That keeps coming up, size. Yet I keep hearing from bashers that 7" is too small, yet it keeps being a specific draw for many.

Anyway, I was pleased with the acceptance of the PB, but surprised at the lack of exposure to it. RIM really does need to get on the ball with advertising and exposure, even in their own back yard. I will give that to Apple, they exploit advertising and public exposure to the Nth degree. They rule in that arena.
    I liked it for its size and the fact that it worked with my phone. I was worried that i might fee the screen was too small. Using it in a store for a few minutes when i walked by it wasn't enough. After just over a week of using it i feel its the perfect size. Any larger and it isn't easy to drag around. Lastnight i went to Boston Pizza to watch football and supercross with my brother in law. i was able to just slip it into my jackets outside pocket.

while there i was telling him about a video i watched then said oh wait i will show you. Pulled out the Playbook and had the video up in no time. i love this thing.

James
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-08-12 11:45 AM
    I think I have convinced several more people over the weekend. I took my Playbook with me and I could hardly keep my own hands on it because my friends kept asking to use it. One was an Android player who first said "I hate Blackberry." At the end of the day he said he was going to buy a Playbook.
    01-08-12 04:51 PM
    Personally, I think there is a pathological bias against the Playbook, especially at the two local Best Buy stores. Both stores have the Playbook displayed in an inoperable state...one is missing the power/charger cable, and the other store had it laying on its back with the mini-usb charging port stuffed with a security/anti-theft cable (that's the best observation I can come up with). The rest of the tablets and e-reader displays were fully functioning, and of course the Apple had its separate and very nice display section apart from the rest of the riff raff.

When I asked a "employee" why the PB was hooked up to what appeared to be a security cable and why it's not operational like the rest of the tablet displays, he said that the PB charging port is defective on all units, and that if I wanted a PB, he highly recommended that I buy the Rapid Charger for an additional $69.00. At no time would he or could he answer why the PB was not properly displayed so that a potential customer could road test it and make a knowledgeable purchasing decision, instead saying that people either buy the iPad or the Kindle Fire, so there's no need to be concerned about the PB not be given the opportunity to put its best foot forward.
    01-08-12 05:10 PM
    Oh yes it does matter. We bought two when we found out about bridge. It matters very much. And the simplicity of using it has been easy for all whom I show how to work it once they understand swiping in order to navigate. After that it's gravy for everyone. And I find this thing has plenty of apps, I am never found wanting with my playbook.
    alnamvet68 and doxa sub750T like this.
    01-08-12 07:58 PM
    Personally, I think there is a pathological bias against the Playbook, especially at the two local Best Buy stores. Both stores have the Playbook displayed in an inoperable state...one is missing the power/charger cable, and the other store had it laying on its back with the mini-usb charging port stuffed with a security/anti-theft cable (that's the best observation I can come up with). The rest of the tablets and e-reader displays were fully functioning, and of course the Apple had its separate and very nice display section apart from the rest of the riff raff.

When I asked a "employee" why the PB was hooked up to what appeared to be a security cable and why it's not operational like the rest of the tablet displays, he said that the PB charging port is defective on all units, and that if I wanted a PB, he highly recommended that I buy the Rapid Charger for an additional $69.00. At no time would he or could he answer why the PB was not properly displayed so that a potential customer could road test it and make a knowledgeable purchasing decision, instead saying that people either buy the iPad or the Kindle Fire, so there's no need to be concerned about the PB not be given the opportunity to put its best foot forward.
    It's true - I found a display unit in a cradle dock, the cord unplugged from the back. The PB discharged - you have to go out of your way to do that - seriously out of your way. All the other tabs were bright and shining. I plugged it back in - unplugged all the droids and left lol.

I have become the local self appointed playbook display maintenance man ....
    01-09-12 02:01 AM
    I plugged it back in - unplugged all the droids and left lol.
    LOL. Then Karma sent a "droidhead" to the tablet stand and had him unplug the Playbook and plug the droid tablets back in.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-09-12 02:05 AM
    Did you consider giving them a few pointers that you had learned in Crackberry, or just watch them struggle?
    hpjrt likes this.
    01-09-12 02:05 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD