Switching away from the increasingly surveillance minded android platform. My options are an equally surveillance minded iOS device, a playbook, or a return to the laptop. I'm getting increasingly frustrated with apps that collect data from your device and transmit it to their publishers.

Is the playbook any better from this perspective?

I've already ordered a blackberry 9000 series phone and am dumping my android.
    11-26-13 11:16 PM
    9000? why not a Q10?
    11-26-13 11:32 PM
    It's getting harder and harder to keep the "data collection" at bay these days. For the simple reason they can make money selling the data.

BB IS the best alternative for that reason,

Welcome and we are here to assist when we can.

c
    11-27-13 08:25 AM
    I'm inherently cheap, and so I use a restricted data plan through page plus cellular. I needed a cheap verizon towers compatible phone that I could port my number onto. I thought about the Z10, actually but I liked $29 a lot better than $150-$200. Also I ordered and got a 64gb playbook for what the Z10 would have cost me.

It's quite a different animal, but so far hasn't been that painful of an adjustment.
    11-27-13 07:27 PM
    I'm inherently cheap, and so I use a restricted data plan through page plus cellular. I needed a cheap verizon towers compatible phone that I could port my number onto. I thought about the Z10, actually but I liked $29 a lot better than $150-$200. Also I ordered and got a 64gb playbook for what the Z10 would have cost me.

It's quite a different animal, but so far hasn't been that painful of an adjustment.
    That's good get used to the device. It will help when the BB10 phones become cheap enough for you to try them. You can actually becme more familiar with the OS much faster if you have experience with a playbook. Turn on the device password when you are on unsecured networks. Should help if you are really concerned with privacy.
    11-27-13 07:32 PM